Most memorable comic book moments

Gryeyes_foh

shitlord
Seriously how does something like that even enter the realm of possibility. I mean the book sucked before, but jesus christ. Must have been an awesome brain storming session figuring out how they can maximize the suck.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Gryeyes said:
Seriously how does something like that even enter the realm of possibility. I mean the book sucked before, but jesus christ. Must have been an awesome brain storming session figuring out how they can maximize the suck.
"OK so how can we find a way to team him up with Dr. Bong and Northstar?"

I"ll put this here as it seems the best place for it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5u_nUrLKxZw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5u_nUrLKxZw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Just finished the Giant-Sized Thor and it was awesome, dissapointing, sad, and bad-ass all at the same time.

I guess in the end, IT MAKES ME WANT THE NEXT ISSUE! So I guess it is a win.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
So much for the guy that posted that Superman didn"t die, he just fell into a Super-Coma.

Does anyone see the ramifications of the next few pages? If they hold true, then either they are killing off their most popular charachters (Batman from before, Superman, Wonder Woman), or there"s a way to reverse the zombification of the Black rings. Might the writers just use the whole Black Lantern series as a way to retcon every death in the DC Universe, once they figure out how to reverse the ring"s process?

If you really think about it, all the original members of the JLA (if you add Aquaman and Martian Manhunter) are now Black Lanterns.

We"ll see if I am right or not, but it seems as if the writers are putting themselves in a corner with this one. They are either killing off the most popular heroes in DC, or paving a way to bring EVERYONE back in one massive retcon. This would be the retcon to end all retcons, it would be a mega retcon.

Caliane

This is one of the biggest concerns amongst creators. Too much continuity.

Continuity is great for isolated contained storylines and characters. Look at the mangas being discussed in the other threads. Even the seemingly endless ones, like Naruto have a beginning, middle and will have an end. So, it certainly has its place. Personally, I am a strong proponent for it.

But continuity with big mega events like this is fuck all, and a large part of destroying the American comic industry. Shit like that right there is awesome. But how the fuck do you work that into continuity with each of the individual books, etc? Either, you don"t at all, and just leave it as a what if/sidestory/etc. or you try, and make a huge clusterfuck mess. Its a massive barrier for entry for anyone trying to get into comics and have any idea wtf is going on.

pss. Sinc is rocking that shit.

Lyrical said:
So much for the guy that posted that Superman didn"t die, he just fell into a Super-Coma.

Does anyone see the ramifications of the next few pages? If they hold true, then either they are killing off their most popular charachters (Batman from before, Superman, Wonder Woman), or there"s a way to reverse the zombification of the Black rings. Might the writers just use the whole Black Lantern series as a way to retcon every death in the DC Universe, once they figure out how to reverse the ring"s process?

If you really think about it, all the original members of the JLA (if you add Aquaman and Martian Manhunter) are now Black Lanterns.

We"ll see if I am right or not, but it seems as if the writers are putting themselves in a corner with this one. They are either killing off the most popular heroes in DC, or paving a way to bring EVERYONE back in one massive retcon. This would be the retcon to end all retcons, it would be a mega retcon.
I can"t stand Blackest Night (except the last GL when they had one of each color core together... need to post that pic) that has leaked into the non-GL/GLC books. (Fuck me, did anyone else read Blackest Night: Wonder Woman #1? I thought I was going to puke)

The idea is that this Black Lantern shit is some kind of revolt against people dying and then "cheating death" and coming back. So it is supposed to affect everyone who has done so... including most of the original JLA.

Anyways, horrible things will happen for another issue or two and then the Rainbow Ranger Lanterns will show up, fail horribly, then someone will do everything and it will be Ok again. I have no expectations of non-suck at the finale here.

I think continuity is what makes comics really good. The sense of a bigger world keeps me interested in a lot of titles. Yes, sometimes there are hiccups (like Ms. Marvel being in New Avengers but being dead in her own comic), but for the most part its no problem.

I read every Dark Reign-related title, even for books I normally don"t have any interest in. I totally lost interest in X-men/family until they showed in the Dark Reign event and what happened there. Now I am totally back into it.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Don"t forget that when the big crossover series spills over into the individual books, it usually boosts sales for a short time also. Still, do we really need a Booster Gold tie in to Blackest Night, or Ghost Rider tie-in to World War Hulk? In my opinion, if adding an individual title in to the main series doesn"t add more to the main story, it shouldn"t be there.

I am not enjoying Blackest Night, but have found Dark Reign to be enjoyable. I"ve always wanted to see a comics world where the bad guys are in charge. Unfortunately, it looks like that is going to end in the next crossover series calledThe Siege.

Lyrical said:
Don"t forget that when the big crossover series spills over into the individual books, it usually boosts sales for a short time also. Still, do we really need a Booster Gold tie in to Blackest Night, orGhost Rider tie-in to World War Hulk?In my opinion, if adding an individual title in to the main series doesn"t add more to the main story, it shouldn"t be there.[/i]
The role Ghost Rider played in WWH was actually pretty awesome, but probably didn"t need a whole book, no.

DC, I thought, was supposed to be pairing down the number of books an event impacted, starting with Final Crisis. While I think everyone kinda wants to see how their favorite character plays a role in the big event, one issue should be able to cover what is needed. Three to seven part tie ins just seems overblown most times.

Artisticly and story wise, the fewer titles the better, it keeps it cleaner and more consistent. Money-wise you want to flood the market with tie-in-spam. So... yeah...

Caliane

Zhaun"s_Shade said:
The role Ghost Rider played in WWH was actually pretty awesome, but probably didn"t need a whole book, no.

DC, I thought, was supposed to be pairing down the number of books an event impacted, starting with Final Crisis. While I think everyone kinda wants to see how their favorite character plays a role in the big event, one issue should be able to cover what is needed. Three to seven part tie ins just seems overblown most times.

Artisticly and story wise, the fewer titles the better, it keeps it cleaner and more consistent. Money-wise you want to flood the market with tie-in-spam. So... yeah...
You really don"t though. Its incredibly short sighted. The tie-in sales boost that is. sure it sells comics today. But like I mentioned. MASSIVE barrier for entry. Comic management rallied themselves into major niche. They really could learn alot from many of the buzz words we like to through around in gaming, here. The markets are surprisingly similar. And comics basically have made every single mistake gaming teeters on at times. Shovelware, niche markets, DLC/Collectors editions speculation, and on.

Making comics more approachable should be the major priority atm for the industry.
some of the best, and most memorable, and character defining storys are not in canon. The Dark Knight returns, for example. Kingdom Come.
These story"s would all be better if they just were told, and no real correlation occurred outside a # sequence. Mean, The Amazing Spiderman should have continuity with The Amazing Spiderman, and only The Amazing Spiderman.

Caliane said:
You really don"t though. Its incredibly short sighted. The tie-in sales boost that is. sure it sells comics today. But like I mentioned. MASSIVE barrier for entry. Comic management rallied themselves into major niche. They really could learn alot from many of the buzz words we like to through around in gaming, here. The markets are surprisingly similar. And comics basically have made every single mistake gaming teeters on at times. Shovelware, niche markets, DLC/Collectors editions speculation, and on.

Making comics more approachable should be the major priority atm for the industry.
some of the best, and most memorable, and character defining storys are not in canon. The Dark Knight returns, for example. Kingdom Come.
These story"s would all be better if they just were told, and no real correlation occurred outside a # sequence. Mean, The Amazing Spiderman should have continuity with The Amazing Spiderman, and only The Amazing Spiderman.
If you have, lets just say, 3 Spider man titles, who only keep continuity within their own titles, don"t you think that would be confusing for people? Also, what Spider Man do you use when he shows up in one of Wolverine"s books?

I agree, that the best stories have a definate begining, middle and most importantly, end. Most comics aren"t like this and it is a problem with creating stories. Especially when the editorial staff lets a writer get away with something on their "run" and then decide they don"t like it and it gets somehow retconed or shit on or whatever a few issues after that writer is gone.

I would like to see some "simplification" of the industry, it just seems kind of counter-intuitive to how they"re doing things and how they make their money. I think Final Crisis showed that there is a big "insider" market, so I"m not sure either of the big two companies are going to change their way.

Also, Wikipedia makes everything more accessable, even comics

Caliane

Zhaun"s_Shade said:
If you have, lets just say, 3 Spider man titles, who only keep continuity within their own titles, don"t you think that would be confusing for people? Also, what Spider Man do you use when he shows up in one of Wolverine"s books?

I agree, that the best stories have a definate begining, middle and most importantly, end. Most comics aren"t like this and it is a problem with creating stories. Especially when the editorial staff lets a writer get away with something on their "run" and then decide they don"t like it and it gets somehow retconed or shit on or whatever a few issues after that writer is gone.

I would like to see some "simplification" of the industry, it just seems kind of counter-intuitive to how they"re doing things and how they make their money. I think Final Crisis showed that there is a big "insider" market, so I"m not sure either of the big two companies are going to change their way.

Also, Wikipedia makes everything more accessable, even comics
Nah. think of it this way. People only want continuity with what they read.
Basically, each spiderman should work on their own.
Go back 30 years, and they were all like this. Silver/golden age had almost no continuity.
Now, to be clear. I"m only saying this for the "timeless" books. The Batman who hasn"t aged in 60 years.
In another way. Every cartoon, video game, movie, does this. Tell the serial story, and don"t even bother trying to place a specific time as to when it occurs. Rin tin tin, Archie for example, are like this. It would be harder to do with Xmen due the constant roster changes that have occured. Spiderman easy.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So The Boys is doing origin issues on the members of the team now. Latest one is Frenchie. It is awesome. And ridiculous. Awesomely ridiculous. Nice bit of silliness.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Looks like Cap is back just in time for his movie next year. How long was he dead for this go around? Five or ten minutes?