Most memorable comic book moments

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Acts of Vengence was a great crossover series. One of the more obscure fights in the series was towards the end, Magneto v Red Skull. The fight wasn"t even close, but it was a personal fight for Magneto. Dude buried the guy in a fallout shelter. Think solitary confinement, for life.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Spontaneous Cumbustion said:
Fuck I"d wish they"d take 52 or something and make it into like mini-series (but maybe longer). And adult style too, I want to watch Black Adam murder bitches.
Can I get a link to a torrent or where to find all the black adam stuff. Its looks awesome. Would be a movie worthy of a 300 type ending. Was a huge fan of comics and all that but for some reason I never heard of him.

Back on topic the first few issues I got from Image. Savage Dragon and Shadow Hawk. Big fan of both they were pretty dark and was both awesome and gruesome when savage beat down shadow.

Also the Pitt comics were pretty sweet, dude was pretty invincible and would own bitches.

Ishad_foh

shitlord
The final showdown in Kingdom Come

S_KingdomCome3.jpg

Miracleman vs Kid Miracle

Miracleman_Issue_15.jpg

Miracleman_Issue_15.jpg

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Heh, you guys think that Black Adam was bad - Superboy Prime was pretty bad also. In the Infinite Crisis series, he was the Superboy from a universe that died and is stranded on our Earth. He wants to remake our Earth to be more light and smurfy like his. He"s much more powerful than Superman, as he has exhibited pre-Crisis on Infinite Earth power levels. Ever since this series, when ever you see Superboy Prime (now called Superman Prime) he"s killing people.

If you ask me, this was a heavy-handed attempt by DC to make Superboy the bad guy. The original creators of Superman supposedly died in poverty while DC was raking in billions and billions on Superman. Their families won a court law over some archaic trademark law. They weren"t able to win the rights to Superman, but won the rights to do what they wanted with the Superboy trademark. This happened right before Infinite Crisis.

P.S.: I just noticed that the main heroes that tend to get killed off in these big crossover series are the Teen Titans. First Black Adam started killing them in WWIII and then Superboy Prime killed them in Infinite Crisis.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
So the Flashes whisk Superboy Prime off into the Speed Force dimension. But later on, he finds a way to get back to our Earth. But now he has a suit of armor based on the Anti-Monitors (except it makes him even more powerful because it constantly feeds him extra solar radiation). He decides he"s just going to remake our Universe by destroying the planet Oa.

Caliane

I"ll try to get some scans together later.
But a few that come to mind, if anyone else has the time, and can beat me to it.

Rorsach"s "Never compromise". That is the cap of Watchmen for me.

Hellboy. Pancakes.
http://outswing.org/hellboy/pancakes-01.jpg
http://outswing.org/hellboy/pancakes-02.jpg

An odd one.
Danger Girl issue 1. page 10ish. Really its a collective of the scene.
Let me frame it.
I never really read comics as a kid. I read a few here and there mind you. A few old school batman/supermans, and did get G.I.Joe 1-60 or something.
At college I borrowed some Xmen a friend had. Including age of apocolypse, and right before Onslaught period.
All these comics have one thing in common. They are mostly weakly drawn comics, with a basic point of serialistic storytelling.
At no point did I ever consider comics, art.

Dangergirl might be silly cheesecake. But it was the first comic I read where the artwork of the book went above and beyond, and I saw comics for what they could be. Visually, that book is amazing. Campbells characterization, compostition and storytelling are fantastic. And the coloring as well also perfect.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
So if I count right, in one fight, Superboy killed seven superheroes (including killing Zauriel, the Looker and some hero I don"t know with just his heat vision) and six Green Lanterns. To give an idea of how powerful he"d become, one Green Lantern with enough willpower (i.e. Hal Jordan) could give Superman a run for his money. And Superboy Prime (in his solar armor and unnerfed status) is flying aroung one-shotting Green Lanterns.

Shanter_foh

shitlord
Ok this thread has gotten me interested.

As someone who hasn"t read comic books before, where do I even begin to know these storylines and people?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
You just start downloading scans every week or so and reading the issues that seem interesting. You"ll catch up.

Caliane

Lyrical said:
So if I count right, in one fight, Superboy killed seven superheroes (including killing Zauriel, the Looker and some hero I don"t know with just his heat vision) and six Green Lanterns. To give an idea of how powerful he"d become, one Green Lantern with enough willpower (i.e. Hal Jordan) could give Superman a run for his money. And Superboy Prime (in his solar armor and unnerfed status) is flying aroung one-shotting Green Lanterns.
Stories like these don"t really interest me all that much.

Its like the who wins, Thor vs Superman thread.
Basically, who the writer wants to win wins. In the DC universe, there are any number of characters that can alter reality at will. A writer wanted superboy to flip out and kill everyone, regardless if logic would suggest he could be stopped by numerous individuals.

Look in this thread alone, how many "zomg, "insert name here" goes apeshit and takes on the entire universe and wins" occur.
Its a pretty standard practice to boost sales...
Pretty soon, well have someone post Onslaught taking on the world. Juggernaut getting punched across the US.

Ellis basically plays on this in The Authority and Planetary.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Arbitrary said:
You just start downloading scans every week or so and reading the issues that seem interesting. You"ll catch up.
Or you could subscribe to Marvel"s online database of comics or buy comics from a local store (if you have any in your area). Support the industry and the comics will keep coming. I support Marvel and DC and I can point to a large walk-in closet devoted to more than 30+ years of just paper comics. Going to comics conventions can be great if you can find comic book owners that are going out of business. Sometimes they"ll sell you 100 back issues of a title for almost nothing. I remember a time when I was able to pickup 100 issues of Thor for like $50.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Vandyn said:
Acts of Vengence was a great crossover series. One of the more obscure fights in the series was towards the end, Magneto v Red Skull. The fight wasn"t even close, but it was a personal fight for Magneto. Dude buried the guy in a fallout shelter. Think solitary confinement, for life.
I may need to re-read Acts of Vengeance, because I don"t remember it that well. I am sure I have the paper versions around here somewhere.

Caliane

Lyrical said:
Or you could subscribe to Marvel"s online database of comics or buy comics from a local store (if you have any in your area). Support the industry and the comics will keep coming. I support Marvel and DC and I can point to a large walk-in closet devoted to more than 30+ years of just paper comics. Going to comics conventions can be great if you can find comic book owners that are going out of business. Sometimes they"ll sell you 100 back issues of a title for almost nothing. I remember a time when I was able to pickup 100 issues of Thor for like $50.
I missed that.

Ok, seriously. I can say it, and you probably won"t listen to me or anyone else if you are pirating comics. But I"ll say it anyway.

The comic industry is broke.
3 titles a month sell 120 thousand copies. 15 years ago, the top 10 comic sold 400-600 thousand.
Estimates for comics sold by Diamond in March 2008

You see those comics selling 11k or less? Those are all losing money, and can be canceled at any time.

This is especially true for independent creators. Where when working with a title that sells 3000 or 4000 copies is the difference between paying the publishing costs and having a profit to pay the artists, and not.
Every single sale counts.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Shanter said:
Ok this thread has gotten me interested.

As someone who hasn"t read comic books before, where do I even begin to know these storylines and people?
When I got back into it, I used a combo of scans, wikipedia and cheap back issues at my local store.

I would pick somethings up that interest you, see what sticks and with ebay or internet vendors or even local stores with large back issue stockpiles, you can catch up pretty well.

I buy my comics, but I despise reading them on a computer.

Dethfang_foh

shitlord
I remember a fight between the Hulk and the Thing where they essentially get into a bar fight and an atomic bomb is dropped on them? Its been a looooooong time and it was my friend"s comic, but I can never forget that moment.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lyrical said:
I may need to re-read Acts of Vengeance, because I don"t remember it that well. I am sure I have the paper versions around here somewhere.
This was really at the end of the crossover. The villain alliance had crumbled. Magneto and Skull were part of the alliance and Magneto asks him if he was the same Red Skull that took part in running the concentration camps in WWII and Skull says something to the effect that yea, but I"m in a different body now. It"s a Captain America comic I believe.

The crossover before that one (Atlantis Attacks) wasn"t that bad either. Back in those days I was reading comics religiously.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
So far D.C. wins the epic battles of death and destruction. Did Marvel or Image have anything like the Black Adam/Super boy thing.