Most memorable comic book moments

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
Hatorade said:
The power of pussy.
Who gave womens the internet? Buffy is destroying batman. My prediction, the ultimate epic showdown. Wonder Woman v.s. Buffy. Brunette v.s. Blonde.

MrGraham_foh

shitlord
Just got done reading Onslaught saga. Probably going to hit up Infinity Gauntlet or Preacher next.

Questions:

Did X-Man (Nate Gray from Age of Apocalypse) die after Onslaught fight?
Who is the little girl who helps Xavier in the government prison place?
How do the people who "die" beating Onslaught come back?

Also - Does anyone know of a website that basically lines up all the comic series. IE you can see that Jun 2003 was Uncanny Xmen #xxx, X-Factor #xxx, and the storyline of Onslaught took part between this month and this month, that sort of thing? I don"t know if I"m describing it good, but I think a flash library or a well built web site with that content would be really, really fucking cool.

Amahk_foh

shitlord
MrGraham said:
Just got done reading Onslaught saga. Probably going to hit up Infinity Gauntlet or Preacher next.

Questions:

Also - Does anyone know of a website that basically lines up all the comic series. IE you can see that Jun 2003 was Uncanny Xmen #xxx, X-Factor #xxx, and the storyline of Onslaught took part between this month and this month, that sort of thing? I don"t know if I"m describing it good, but I think a flash library or a well built web site with that content would be really, really fucking cool.
It"s been so long since I"ve read a new comic book besides the Origin of Wolverine recently. However I believe the answer to your third question that"s when Marvel copped out and made all the Ultimate series so they could retell all the Origins. Basically a way to get kids of this age who never read the origins of their favourite Marvel superheroes a chance to relive it. They also changed the origins and gave them more of a movieish twist I guess. It was basically them starting over with all of the superhero stories.

Wow. What a great thread. Brings back high-school memories. I have definitely got to admit from what I"ve read, just in this thread alone, DC has THE MOST BADASS end of world story arcs. And I"m not a big DC fan at all. Every single scan posted with Batman had me gripped reading just that little tidbit. He already is my favourite DC character mainly because of the JLA/JLU series. I"ve got to say my most memorable moment from that cartoon is with Batman hurtling to his death after the Batplane blows up and he calmly asks for air support since he "can"t fly and all" and just as he"s about to smash into the ground Superman catches him...he proceeds to talk about the mission at hand...no close call or phew, hehe! Love it. It happens a little after 6:00 in this clip btw

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S8S7yi3d7uE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S8S7yi3d7uE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

One of my favourite comic book moments though was when Emma Frost walks into her office and the room is all frozen with huge icicles and Bobby is just sitting in her chair and she threatens him since he"s just asked her to show her how she did what she did with his body(essentially she did stuff with his body he could never dream of, made him into one of the more powerful Mutants) and he stops her cold in her tracks by cutting off the circulation of blood to her brain. I"m a huge Iceman fan, it"s the whole tons of potential but always a slacker and joker that gets me, same with Flash. I"ll never forget that moment. Wish I had a scan of that to post it.

Another moment I"ll never forget is X-Men #47 when Legion kills his dad aka Xavier and that basically is the precursor for the Age of Apocalypse crossover.

I"m not that big of a Wolverine fan but that foiled covered crossover Fatal Attractions where Magneto de-metals Wolverine hehe. That just felt painful. And as a plus it was also the beginning of Generation X which was done by the great Chris Bachalo. Too bad he left after like the first 20 odd issues

I really need to get into some of these DC books with Batman. What a great character!

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Amahk said:
I really need to get into some of these DC books with Batman. What a great character!
If you want to read when Batman started coming into prominence, it was in the JLA volume that started in the mid 90"s. In the other volumes, alot of times he was at times treated like any rank and file member. But in this volume is when he started saving the rest of the JLA"s butts (or whupping their butts). Also, in the new series of Batman/Superman, Batman is treated at least as an equal to Superman, or sometimes better (like when he soloed Darkseid on the first page of this thread).

If you read Batman"s regular titles, you are just going to get mostly him against boring street thugs. The thing that stinks about Batman is while he can solo any raid boss he has time to prepare a l33t strat for in one hit, he seems to have problems with your average non-powered criminal mastermind. Also, no matter how bad the situation, if every hero on the planet is getting their butts whipped by some alien threat, you know that if you see Batman snooping around looking for clues, its just a matter of time before he layeth the smackdown. The stories get too predictable. Batman = Deus Ex Machina.

Dom_foh

shitlord
MrGraham said:
Questions:
No.

Nobody of importance, she was just a part of the story.

They didn"t really die, the Richards" son Franklin created some mumbo-jumbo universe for them which was sort of the basis for creating the Ultimate series of books. At the time, Marvel was looking to kickstart a lot of stuff and managed to get Liefield, Lee and some other big names to create a new setting for the big characters, this is how they went about it.

Each came back in their own way, and not all at the same time.

Please do not walk away from the X-men side of things with Onslaught being the last thing you read, it was fucking terrible. It was what made me to finally get out of comics as a hobby, my interest has never really returned.

Simas_sl

shitlord
Read the Frank Miller batman stuff. Alot of the new movies are lifted straight from it (more so with the 1st and Year One...premise of the second is taken from Dark Knight Returns)

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dom Devore said:
Please do not walk away from the X-men side of things with Onslaught being the last thing you read, it was fucking terrible. It was what made me to finally get out of comics as a hobby, my interest has never really returned.
Yup, around the Onslaught saga is when I took a break from buying comics. It was horrid. And it seemed like after Onslaught, the floodgates were open on Marvel and retconning. It seemed like we were getting company-wide retcons every year after that.

MrGraham_foh

shitlord
I"m doing a random tour de comics. After Onslaught I read all 6 Thanos sagas (Infinity Gauntlet, Abyss, Crusade, The End, etc.). I"m ready for some down to earth stuff now, just got a ton of Deadpool and going to move on to probably Preacher after that.

I"ve read the Phalanx Covenant, the Age of Apocalypse, the Onslaught Saga, Xcutioner"s Song, and the Infinity Gauntlet - are there any other Marvel tidy storylines like those I should check out?

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Probably mentioned before but when Magneto ripped the Adamantium from Wolverines bones:

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Since this is a comic book nostalgia thread, can"t forget the superhero MMO"s. The first is City of Heroes, 2nd is Champions Online (released in 2009) and also the DC Universe (also in 2009). I remember reading about CoH pre-launch and reading the site updates about its development. I remember thinking that the game would never make it to launch. Now we"ll have three superhero MMO"s on the market next year.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FVq52sWtEOU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FVq52sWtEOU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qY5gcRBbyRM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qY5gcRBbyRM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XRoaDsJ1jpg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XRoaDsJ1jpg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
The Death of Gwen Stacy - I remember this being such a big deal as a kid.

Wikipedia said:
Gwen first appears in The Amazing Spider-Man #31 (December 1965); Peter Parker meets Gwen while they are undergraduates at Empire State University.[2] Initially, with Aunt May in the hospital, Peter is troubled and ignores her advances, and in return, she feels insulted by his aloofness. She dates both Flash Thompson and Harry Osborn while pining for Peter. Gradually, however, a romance develops; Gwen, a science major, seems to appreciate Peter"s intellectual personality, different from that of jocks like Flash Thompson and preppies like Harry Osborn. She is Peter Parker"s first love...

The two start planning their future together and even discuss marriage a few times...

The death of Gwen Stacy had an enormous impact in the world of comic-book fandom.[3] Before her, except possibly as part of an origin story, superheroes simply did not fail so catastrophically; nor did a loved one of the superhero die so suddenly, without warning, or so violently. Because of this, some fans and historians take the death of Gwen Stacy as one marker of the end of the period they refer to as the Silver Age of Comic Books.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Black Bolt soloes an enraged Hulk. I think people forget how powerful Black Bolt is. He has also soloed Magneto.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hatorade said:
Can I get a link to a torrent or where to find all the black adam stuff.
LOL, I was just reading an interview with Jim Lee (who is working on the DC MMO). He says that in large PVP battles, Black Adam may pop in and try to kill everyone. So heroes and villains will need to team up against Black Adam, so they could avoid getting their faces ripped off or hearts punched through.