Most memorable comic book moments

Troll said:
Throw the Green Lantern and Secret Six at me, then. I"m completely in the dark when it comes to DC (besides basically knowing the names of the big name heros and stuff).

Edit: And if there"s Superman stuff that"s a reeeeally good read, I"ll choke back my hatred and read em.
Geen Lantern is kind of iffy right now, as it is almost all clean-up for the Blackest Night, which was mostly poo. If you"re willing to go back a bit, the Sinestro War was awesome, and everything from there up until Blackest Night is good as well (pre-blackest night was very good, just the Event itself was weak).

Secret Six is a stand alone. Basicly, it is a group of bad guys put together to work as mercanaries to try and "go (kinda)straight".

This starts with Villians United #1 (2005) and carries through that, then switches to a Secret Six miniseries (2006), then restarts again as an ongoing in 2008 until now.

I did not read the miniseries, but the rest I have enjoyed, as the main characters are genuine bad-guys and it is a very different kind of comic.

You can google the wiki for more, but has lots of spoilers. I will post some here as everything has been put into a trade for them:

The stories have been collected into trade paperbacks:

Villains United(collects 6-issue limited series, 144 pages, DC, January 2006, ISBN 1-4012-0838-X,[13] Titan, April 2006, ISBN 1845762320)

Secret Six:Six Degrees of Devastation(collects 6-issue limited series, 144 pages, DC, March 2008, ISBN 1-4012-1231-X,[14] Titan, April 2007, ISBN 1845764897)

Unhinged (collects Secret Six #1-7, 168 pages, DC, August 2009, ISBN 1-4012-2327-3,[15] Titan, October 2009, ISBN 1848563566)

Depths (collects Secret Six #8-14, 168 pages, DC, April 2010, ISBN 1-4012-2599-3,[16] Titan, June 2010, ISBN 184856564X)

Danse Macabre (collects Secret Six #15-18 & Suicide Squad #67, 128 pages, DC, October 2010, ISBN 1-4012-2904-7,[17] Titan, December 2010, ISBN 1848569890)

Cat"s in the Cradle (collects Secret Six #19-24, 144 pages, DC, January 2011, ISBN 1-4012-3021-0,[18] Titan, March 2011, ISBN 0857681729)

The Reptile Brain (collects Secret Six #25-30, 144 pages, DC, May 2011, ISBN 1-4012-3166-7)

Birds of Prey: Dead of Winter (collects Birds of Prey #104-108, 128 pages, DC, February 2008, ISBN 1-4012-1641-2,[19] Titan, March 2008 , ISBN 184576773X)
(Ibelievethe BIrds of Prey occurs between the miniseries "Six Degrees of Devistation" and the begining of the normal monthly)

Troll_sl

shitlord
Thank"s Zhaun. Like I said, completely in the dark, but I think I"ve got plenty of stuff to start on now.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Troll said:
Throw the Green Lantern and Secret Six at me, then. I"m completely in the dark when it comes to DC (besides basically knowing the names of the big name heros and stuff).

Edit: And if there"s Superman stuff that"s a reeeeally good read, I"ll choke back my hatred and read em.
Kingdom Come.But not the follow upThe Kingdom. This has Superman, deal with it. It"s awesome and one of the best looking things ever in comics.

Blue Beetle#1 from May 06 started a very fun series. I never read anything leading up to the new Beetle or anything like that, but I got right in to it. Well written and drawn, and it"s consistently interesting. I mentioned before it"s got a very similar vibe to Invincible, but also sort of like Deadpool where he"s always interacting with different heroes. I only read up through #33, I gotta get caught up.

Almost anything with Booster Gold seems worth reading. He"s just a crazy fun character. Someone more caught up can give you specifics.

Justice. Justice League 12 issue series from Alex Ross a few years back. More Superman, more gorgeous, more deal with it. It"s maybe not the best shit ever, but I am just such a whore for comics drawn entirely by Alex Ross.

And for a purely Superman suggestion, because fuck you,Superman: Red Son. Basically it"s what if Superman landed in Russia.

I"m not much of a DC fan myself, and these are mostly specials I"ve suggested and not normal ongoing series, but these are the ones I"ve *really* liked and that helped me overcome some of my Superman hate=P I"d also suggestThe Dark Knight Returns, but anyone who hasn"t read that shouldn"t even be allowed in this thread.

Troll_sl

shitlord
Communist Superman actually sounds like it"d be okay.

My only real issue with Superman is he"s too retard-strong. But thanks for the suggestions and I"ll read them anyways.

pablos_foh

shitlord
darkblue said:
So... just finished reading the 200 or so TPB"s(HC"s) I"ve bought and read together with a friend over the past 6 months. From Secret War to Siege (in the "Avengers line") and House of M to Second Coming (in the "X line"), and I must say... comics are fucking awesome. Glad I gave it a chance.

If anyone has ever been interested in getting into comics(Marvel especially) but been turned off by all the different titles/events/timelines etc, and the lack of information as a new reader from Marvels part. Well... me and my friend put together an excel sheet with all the Trades in it and we pieced them all together into what we think is the best reading order, as good as you can get with trades and not single issues. So if anyone might be interested in it, we could try to clean it up a bit and send it out.

Looks sort of like this.

I am logged into google and the arrows still do not show up but thanks for the effort anyway. I am getting back into comics have not read anything since the whole Age of Apocalypse thing. Also can anybody recommend a good .CBR file reader

Caliane

All-Star superman and Superman:Red Sun are two of the best comics in 20 years. period.

Actual run of superman is weak. JMS run is terrible.

Retard strength is just bad writing.

darkblue_foh

shitlord
pablos said:
I am logged into google and the arrows still do not show up but thanks for the effort anyway. I am getting back into comics have not read anything since the whole Age of Apocalypse thing. Also can anybody recommend a good .CBR file reader
Yeah, don"t know whats up with that. Had a couple of other people say the same, must be some random bug. Might be annoying, but If you really want to see the arrows, I would try different browsers and see if it makes a difference.

Otherwise, just ask if you have any questions.

Caliane

I just unpack them with winrar.

CDisplay is the one I hear recommended the most.

Devlin_foh

shitlord
I can"t praise the iPad enough as a digital comic book reader, I"d tried different shit through the years like laptops (too bulky) psp (small screen and poor interface) plus various phones etc and it blows everything out the water, it"s exactly the right size and the comic zeal app is awesome.

Glad to see a few Thunderbolts on the above list, although it"s completely changed recently and not for the better last i saw, the original team was bloody brilliant, i got back into comics a few years ago with Deadpool and directly after read thunderbolts and was hooked.

ex-genj_foh

shitlord
Incredibly stupid question here possible but:

Thanks to the rec"s I read all of Invincible over the last week or so and really enjoyed it. First comic I"ve read since the Larson/Macfarlane Amazing Spiderman issues when I was 15 or whatever and not surprisingly was pretty similar in some ways. Anyways reading it on my computer was pretty underwhelming and I was thinking that since I"m, you know, an adult I"d throw some money their way and subscribe for a year or whatever. Can I actually still do that, and, like, have them get mailed to my house? There"s no fking way I"m going to go a comic book store every month. Seems utterly retarded that it doesn"t appear that I can get them in the mail.

To the best of my knowledge, the only way to get comics weekly is to go to a shop or steal them online.

The comics industry is a bit retarded in the ways they go about getting our money it seems.

Example: Marvel has online comic thing you can pay for... but they only have select, old titles and have to use their special browser for it too. Meanwhile probably tens of thousands of people who would pay reasonable prices for "e-comics" just download them free to read on a quite nice, universally accepted (iPhone and Android compatable I believe) browser.

Caliane

you can order from a few online retailers.
Amazon,https://www.tfaw.com/

yeah. I have really railed on about this. And I know a few other creators also. The people with the money however, are appearently complete dinosaurs.

Even digital comics are somewhere between half-assed and piss-poor.
The "best" comixology is bloated, and you don"t get a hard copy on your machine.
Pirates are just plain providing a superior product.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Devlin said:
I can"t praise the iPad enough as a digital comic book reader, I"d tried different shit through the years like laptops (too bulky) psp (small screen and poor interface) plus various phones etc and it blows everything out the water, it"s exactly the right size and the comic zeal app is awesome.

Glad to see a few Thunderbolts on the above list, although it"s completely changed recently and not for the better last i saw, the original team was bloody brilliant, i got back into comics a few years ago with Deadpool and directly after read thunderbolts and was hooked.
Yeah, ipad is great for reading comics. Forget a computer screen, I can hold it in my hands, change size at a whim, turn it to the side like a paper comic, and the screen is almost the size of a real comic book.

When I saw a demo of the ipad, I thought it was neat, but the sample Iron Man comic is what pushed me to buy.

Lusiphur_foh

shitlord
Something happen to DCP and Millenium ?

Haven"t seen latest issues of the stuff I track show up in the 0 days since early December (mostly The Boys :p)

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I see the weekly packs up through the 5th of this month on Demonoid for DCP/Minutemen. *shrug*

Don"t think I"ve ever noticed Millenium before.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lusiphur said:
Ooops, I meant Minutemen.

It"s just that the last Highland Laddie I have is number 5 but yet the publisher site says 6 is out.
I actually just grabbed 5 myself and was wondering=) I"d say wait til Wednesday/Thursday and if not around then, panic. Maybe it"s shipping this week, new comics hit stores on Wednesdays then scanners go apeshit.

darkblue_foh

shitlord
So, after reading Marvel for the past year I decided I wanted to try out some DC (and the one Superhero I have always thought to be the most boring one). So I went with All-Star Superman and was... kind of disappointed, but maybe that was because of all the major hype and everyone telling me how awesome it was, or maybe I just don"t like Grant Morrisons trippy stuff (based on his X-Men run). It was good, just not as awesome as everyone made it out to be.

Anyway, what I am trying to ask is this... what is the best that DC has to offer? Heard good things about "Kingdom Come", but is there any other must reads, doesn"t matter which hero/villain it"s about. Just out after the best story.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
People hype All-star superman, but I just thought it was Ok.RED SONIS THE SERIOUS SHIT THOUGH.

Then you"ve got the batman books, which we recommended to Felonius. I"ve got the same opinion about Hush being overrated, but you can not go wrong withThe Long HalloweenandDark Victory. Batman: Year Oneis really great too but you"ve kind of already seen it in movie form.