Most memorable comic book moments

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Isn"t this like the 7th or 8th time DC and/or Marvel have done something similar to that?
I give it a year or two then they"ll go back to the original numbering when books hit a nice ever issue #100, 150, 300, 400, etc.
I hate comic book publishers because of this shit.

We are positioning ourselves to tell the most innovative stories with our characters to allow fans to see them from a new angle.
Fuck innovative. How about just telling GOOD stories? It seems like that"s such a foreign concept for some companies, game companies included.

Tred said:
Isn"t this like the 7th or 8th time DC and/or Marvel have done something similar to that?
I give it a year or two then they"ll go back to the original numbering when books hit a nice ever issue #100, 150, 300, 400, etc.
I hate comic book publishers because of this shit.

Fuck innovative. How about just telling GOOD stories? It seems like that"s such a foreign concept for some companies, game companies included.
Part of the problem is due to having the same characters decade in and decade out.

They need to perma-kill one A list and 2 B- listers every year to keep things rotating.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Zhaun"s_Shade said:
Part of the problem is due to having the same characters decade in and decade out.
This is why I actually liked the Ultimate Universe at first. All of them but X-Men were pretty damn good for awhile before each getting progressively worse and worse as they mined deeper through more old storylines and tried to update them.

meStevo_foh

shitlord
I"m interested in the digital day and date releases. Guessing they"ll be the same as cover price though as to not piss off stores.

Will be interested in trying out some of these new titles, with all the 52 week series and other things they seem to always have going on I don"t feel like anything is ever really able to be jumped into. Couple that with the lackluster thoughts people seem to have for those efforts and my interest in their titles drops to almost nothing.

meStevo_foh

shitlord
I liked some othe Wildstorm properties, would be nice if they took this opportunity to introduce them into the DC Universe.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
DC Relaunch: Batgirl #1 and Nightwing #1 Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movies and TV News and Rumors

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_-77bS_SVSE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

THIS ISN"T WHAT HAPPENED LAST WEEK, HAVE YOU ALL GOT AMNESIA!?! THEY JUST CHEATED US!THIS ISN"T FAIR.BARBARA GORDEN CAN"T USE HER COCKADOODIE LEGS.

My own crazy aside the real problem I have with these types of decisions is that it is assumed that going backwards and starting over is preferable to going forward with the timeline.

Caliane

Lyrical said:
That sounds pretty terrible. Why not just copy Marvel, and have them jump into Onslaught, come out in an alternate reality where they come out more diverse, younger, and more extreme?

Some of these comics have been out since the 40"s.
they that all the time.

Really, who the fuck knows? they do this stupid shit all the time. I swear the execs at DC/Marvel are both trying to kill comics.
Between completely ass-backwards marketing/distribution, and shit like this.

What is wrong with just letting books be independent? some of the most popular titles. Supergirl: cosmic adventures in the 8th grade.
Batgirl:year 1.
Just put out books with no continuity. People buy them. Ruining OTHER books continuity to reset the status quo on the 4 books you really want to do that to, is COMPLETELY retarded.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If you want Barbara Gorden to be Batgirl again than do it. Tell the story of how and why she decides to give up being Oracle and why she is now willing to use whatever macguffin to gain use of her legs again having rejected such offers in the past. I would be very interested in reading that story. What is being proposed is the coward"s way and it"s why I posted that clip from Misery. If you wrote yourself into a spot you don"t like than write yourself out of it. Do a good job, tell a compelling story, and people will read it.

This doesn"t sound like any of that. It sounds like cheating and it sounds lazy.

Caliane

Seriously, one of the biggest jokes, is that there are 100 ways in comics, that should have her walking again.
And not magic shit either. In the Bat books themselves.

Batwoman, broke her back. Had Dick kill her, and put her in a Lazarus pit healing her, and resurrecting her.
Damian, broke his back. Used League of shadows super science to heal him.
Batman broke his back. We all remember Bane. He got better.
Think even Dick had it happen once.

In fact, is there any member of the Bat family that hasn"t had their back broken?
Jason Todd? yep, and killed.

Qhue_foh

shitlord
Im getting the vibe that the relaunch is going to fully embrace the 52-universes concept and get all the characters of the DCU out of each others back yards.

The rumor sights are reporting that the Wildstorm characters will be featured as part of the "DCU" in the relaunch and really there aint no way you can have the Justice League and the Authority in the same universe and make it work at all.

If you spread the 52 new comics around several different universes then you can explain that while all these comics share a singular publishing "Universe" you dont have to explain what every other team is doing whenever a global issue faces the Justice League or why when the Vice President is kidnapped the Freedom Fighters get called in and not Superman.

Caliane

The word is that its only going to be a reboot for a few characters.

Superman, wonderwoman, Aquaman iirc.
Little differential from what they just did to wonderwoman already.

Batman, and bat family nope. Booster, powergirl, etc nope.

Just fnking stupid really.
One of the big rumors is superman and lois getting unmarried by this.

meStevo_foh

shitlord
DC Declares Digital Pricing For Relaunch, Retailer Incentives - Comic Book Resources

DC Comics confirmed this afternoon that the digital versions of its DC Universe titles will be priced at $2.99, the same as its print editions, for the first four weeks of release before dropping to $1.99. Oversized issues will start at $3.99 and drop to $2.99.

The publisher also announced at The Source that "Justice League" #1, which kicks off a sweeping line-wide reboot on Aug. 31, will be offered as a $4.99 poly-bagged combo pack that includes a physical copy and an individual code for digital download. The oversized issue may also be purchased separately, at a retail price of $3.99 for either the print or the digital version.
Grifter confirmed to be one of the new titles. DC also trying to get the word out that it"s not a reboot...

Caliane

yeah, bringing in Wildstorm, and some of the Vertigo into DC proper has huge potential.
That is something I am pretty sure no comic fan will complain about.
There is some weirdness still.
The Authority and Planetary can"t really work directly into a JL universe. however, canon atm for that IS they are part of the multiverse. The snowflake in wildstorm is the multiverse in DC.
(how exactly that relates to the 52 is questionable, as the snowflake is much larger then 52 obviously)

Grifter would work quite well in regular DC. Wildcats probably would do fine. Gen13, and DV8 could as well.

Alot of veritgo stuff like Death+endless, Constitine, Hellblazer, Xanadu, swamp thing, etc already cross paths, and have been showing up.

Alot of it comes down to:
the mainstream comics are stuck in an endless cycle of rehash. These companies make money on selling the image of batman/superman/xmens/piderman. Those core titles, they put the best writers/art teams on. And just maintain the status quo, so new readers can come in, and get the product now, as they did 10, 20, 30 years ago. Endless event comics for this as well. Look at this thread for examples, people say they are interested? they go look at the current event going on. seige, brightest day, etc.

But if you actually like comics, avoid that shit like the plague. Its going to be an endless cycle for you. for you, the best comics will be the fringe stuff, where creators can actually do whatever they want. booster gold, powergirl, red robin, secret six, Guardians of the galaxy, avengers academy, for a few examples. or the really outside mainstream of Darkhorse, Vertigo. Which is all amazing. THAT stuff needs to be A++++ quality work, or it won"t get published. They can"t afford to publish shit.

The mainstream stuff CAN be good. As its mainstream, which means they can and do afford to pay the best artists and writers to do it. And the quality shows more often then not. But sometimes, the editorial mandates, can really gut it. And if you start to build any attachment to the stories/characters. enjoy having any quality story told, be retconned 6 months later, by a new team.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
meStevo said:
DC Declares Digital Pricing For Relaunch, Retailer Incentives - Comic Book Resources

Grifter confirmed to be one of the new titles. DC also trying to get the word out that it"s not a reboot...
Those digital prices are way too high, considering once the comic is complete, other than the cost of the download, as sales volume goes up, the actual cost of the comic approaches nil. I know they want to protect the comic stores, but how many comic stores are relying on comic sales as a main source of income? I haven"t seen a dedicated comic book store in ten years, they"ve all started selling cd"s, dvd"s, blu ray"s, etc.

I thought they"d so something where there would be a blanket sub to get access to their titles, I"d pay for that on my Ipad. The comics industry is way behind the times, and its still more convenient to download a DCP torrent and then move it to my Ipad. What a joke.

Lyrical said:
Those digital prices are way too high, considering once the comic is complete, other than the cost of the download, as sales volume goes up, the actual cost of the comic approaches nil. I know they want to protect the comic stores, but how many comic stores are relying on comic sales as a main source of income? I haven"t seen a dedicated comic book store in ten years, they"ve all started selling cd"s, dvd"s, blu ray"s, etc.

I thought they"d so something where there would be a blanket sub to get access to their titles, I"d pay for that on my Ipad. The comics industry is way behind the times, and its still more convenient to download a DCP torrent and then move it to my Ipad. What a joke.
Pretty sure my local comics & gaming store would go under if they lost even half their comic revenue, maybe just 1/4. Most struggle to get by as is, and I know comics and CCGs is what keeps them afloat really.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Zhaun"s_Shade said:
Pretty sure my local comics & gaming store would go under if they lost even half their comic revenue, maybe just 1/4. Most struggle to get by as is, and I know comics and CCGs is what keeps them afloat really.
Yeah, most of the stores in my town have like 5% of their floor space devoted to comics now. One of the stores I used to go to in the late 90"s was 100% comics, is now 5%, and that was the biggest store in town. It now makes money hand over fist now that they do other media, they started a franchise where you need a minimum of $300k net worth to even be considered.

At the end of the day, the very few bit of stores that are just selling comics and games are not probably ever going to make $, just make digital comics cheaper, and let the "purists" go to the bigger stores. I doubt the comics companies would actually lose subs.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
That"s really tough titties for the comics book stores though. It"s not the industries job to keep an obsolete store front afloat.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
The Ancient said:
That"s really tough titties for the comics book stores though. It"s not the industries job to keep an obsolete store front afloat.
Yeah, not when the stuff is readily available on torrent sites. I"d rather read them on my Ipad than have to sort through all my long boxes, what a pain.

But it goes to show the old axiom, that changing your distribution channel (as a business) is the toughest thing to change. Its like they are trapped in the old economy, when the market has moved to new economy.

The comic companies would do better charging a sub fee and giving open access, I"d actually prefer to read the back catalogues as I go, rather than go through the tedious task of transferring from my PC"s hard drive to my Ipad.