Most memorable comic book moments

Caliane

Some notes on DC title launch.

DC"s New 52-Notes from the NYC Retailer Summit | Facebook

Interesting points:
"not writing to trade" stories wont be forced to 6 issues for trade they claim. This lets storys be written as wanted. and opens up potential anthologies.

Books I recommend checking out. Mostly what I said in the first place. A bit art, a bit premise. (I"m not working on any of these atm)

Justice League international:
C-list is the best list. Great pedigree here. what you need to understand with comics is A-list, are intro characters, and icons. Icons can"t change. And get constantly rebooted just like this. They need to be the same 10 years from now, as they were when you started reading, so new readers recognize the character. This is why Barry Allen is the Flash again, etc. (Partially some of it is, "everything is better when you were 12. new coe"s come in and decide the characters that THEY grew up with are the best, and retcon all growth back to their childhood. Completely ignoring that all the kids know the NEW guys as the character. Aka. John Stewart is Green Lantern to anyone under the age of 20.)
So, C-list gives creators WAY more creative freedom. They can do whatever they want. And this gives you characters like Fire and Ice, Powergirl and Booster gold. 100 times more interesting then Supes, or even Batman.

Action comics:
Typically fun vignettes of Metropolis. often focusing on Lois lane, Jimmy Olsen, Lex Luthor etc. Powergirl lost her book. Expect her to show up here.

Supergirl: Best colorist in comics is working on this.
"Supergirl, as she has been written, sometimes comes across as mature and responsible as a 40 year-old adult. She shouldn"t. She"s a teen who is still finding herself and her character should reflect that."
But that scares me. Those exact words were used for her, teenage whore period. teengirl "finding herself" translates badly for 40 year old white male writers. More cosmic adventures, less angst.

Superman:
Morrison is writing iirc. Dude does superman well.

Batbooks: all of them have been pretty good. I see no reason for this to change.

young justice books. skip em all.

Justice league dark:
I"m most interested in this. DC magic is pretty great.
Zatanna, Constantine, Xanadu, etc. wow.

Wildstorm:
If there is one fuck yeah, part of this reboot. This is it.
Stormwatch with martian manhunter.
Voodoo
Grifter
-
Suicide Squad
Blackhawks
Check all those out.

Where is Zealot? Zealot on the JLA would be pretty awesome.

Honestly, most of that made me "Zzzz". Two things caught my attention:

1. Fuck You for cancelling Power Girls books.

2. Fuck You for this too:
Batgirl- Barbara Gordon is back as Batgirl. The events of Killing Joke and her tenure as Oracle have occurred and this title addresses her return to the role.
I liked New Batgirl and I liked Oracle, both as-is.

I may quit DC altogether at this rate after War of the Lanterns.

Caliane

Zhaun"s_Shade said:
Honestly, most of that made me "Zzzz". Two things caught my attention:

1. Fuck You for cancelling Power Girls books.

2. Fuck You for this too:

I liked New Batgirl and I liked Oracle, both as-is.

I may quit DC altogether at this rate after War of the Lanterns.
Definitely agreed with that.
No Booster gold either.

That is unfortunately the down side of the c-listers. Comics just don"t sell well enough anymore, and might get canceled at any time.

Booster Gold will in all likelyhood be a prominant player in JLI though, Power Girl even loses JSA.

Also, Barbra Gordon walking again is just... I don"t know. It just bugs me. Why go to all the effort to make her this awesome handy-capable key member of the community to just drop it and finally now fixing her legs, just to go back to be "batgirl" after training a new one.

They could have at least made her Nightwing II. if no other reason than isn"t she like the 3rd or 4th oldest of the Bat-family these days?

meStevo_foh

shitlord
I buy no DC (downloaded and currently reading through Blackest Night though) and will probably pick up several of these number 1s, the digital combo of JLA I think it was, and probably download a few to see if they"re worth buying before adding them to my pull list.

I"d just download them all, but I really look forward to going to the store on Wednesdays, sometimes I feel like I"m going through the motions out of nostalgia though.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not much of a DC guy myself, I"ve always read marvel my whole life. But a friend of mine started talking me in to DC comics. The only DC comic I really liked was Green Lantern, so I picked that up and read up on it, which eventually led to Blackest Night, finished that series and am up to do on Brightest day. It"s been a pretty awesome story so far, but he gave me a list of shit he"s subscribing too and I think I"m going to pick up a couple titles. Some of the ones that stood out were;

Flash
Aquaman
Wonderwoman

all three a part of the new flashpoint series and I have to say I"m liking them so far.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sutekh said:
Some of the ones that stood out were;

Flash
Aquaman
Wonderwoman

all three a part of the new flashpoint series and I have to say I"m liking them so far.
Trolling again I see.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Actually, Flashpoint Aquaman series is pretty bad ass. Plus he was a complete beast inSpoiler Alert, click show to read:brightest day

Leviothan_foh

shitlord
I"m excited about the Static Shock series >_>

I"m not kidding.

EDIT: WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT WITH MAKING DICK GRAYSON FUCKING NIGHTWING AGAIN? WHY THE FUCK CAN"T THESE COMIC COMPANIES JUST LET THE APPRENTICE BECOME THE FUCKING MASTER?!

Caliane

I forgot to mention Animalman in the last post.
Another one to watch.

Batwoman will likely be amazing, for the art alone.

darkblue_foh

shitlord
How does DC handle Trades, do they collect every ongoing into their own TP/HC at some point? If they do, how long do they usually wait?

The more I hear about the new DC reset, the worse is sounds. Talking to some people at the local shop even seems to have some talking about cancelling all their DC orders entirely.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Zhaun"s_Shade said:
The more I hear about the new DC reset, the worse is sounds. Talking to some people at the local shop even seems to have some talking about cancelling all their DC orders entirely.
This is the problem with being a fan of comic books -

If you keep reading them long enough eventually something will happen that is so ungodly stupid that you just can"t justify buying even one more issue. I"ve written this a few times but I started buying comics again during the Marvel Civil War and even though it went wonky (I"msupposedto be onIron Man"sside? How in the fuck...) I was really interested in what was going to happen next with Spiderman. The whole world knows his identify, Aunt May is victim of an assassination attempt, what is going to happen next?

He makes a deal with the devil. Literally. He bargains away his marriage to Mephisto to save his ancient fucking aunt with a bunch of other retcons thrown in on top. And that was it for me. I"m not buying those comics ever again and I"m sure as fuck not going to pirate them.

I think The Killing Joke is a damn fine story. Barbara Gordon as Oracle is a complex individual with a couple of different stories that go in to why she hasn"t used a Lazerous Pit or some alien technology or other macguffin to walk again. She"s got depth. Rather than tell the story of her regaining the use of her legs it looks like they are just going to cheat and skip right to her being Batgirl again. And I"ve got a sad sad feeling that the Killing Joke is going to be made non-canon.

With as fuckingstupidas the Return of Bruce Wayne was with this on top how do I really justify buying this shit? Flashpoint thus far is pretty interesting and I hope that the reboot itself is done well but I"m pretty sure it is going to end up beingcolossallystupid. For DC they almost always always are. Interesting idea, do a decent job for the bulk of it, fuck up the conclusion. That"s their MO.

I wasn"t buying comics back when Superman died and Batman had his back broke but those cash grabs almost killed the industry. This isn"t a cash grab but it"s quite a bit dumber.

Well, the universe is being "rebooted", we just don"t know how much. So Barbra Gordon may never lost use of her legs. Also Tim Drake may have never been Robin too.

And Harley Quinn now dresses like a whore.

I dunno, it is awful.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
That"s just it, if they go the really dumb route and The Killing Joke never happened (or happened differently) than all you"ve accomplished is removing a pretty damn fine story from continuity to get around not telling the story of Barbara Gordon deciding to stop being Oracle, regain the use of her legs, and again become Batgirl. And that story could be good! Really good! But now we"ll either never have that story or we"ll get a super super condensed version spanning all of a single issue.

And to do what? To start back over with shit from the 80s or something? I don"t get it.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Arbitrary said:
And to do what? To start back over with shit from the 80s or something? I don"t get it.
Kind of, yeah. How many 16 year old comic fans do you think have read all those? They"ve got all this material that is basically just sitting there wasting away. Proven stories that people just aren"t getting. *I* don"t love the idea myself, but I can see the sense in it.

I suppose they could do re-releases with re-mastered stuff. Modern inks/papers would make some of those look so much better. But I think they probably think they"d do better business with modernized updates. I dunno, sucks for long time comic readers, but the industry was dying with those folks as the main means of support. They need to bring in new people.