Most memorable comic book moments

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
What should a comic book character dress like if they are a whore?

On a more serious note, what is your feeling on the Silk Spectre?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I understand that with the profitability of the associated films that there is a great deal of benefit to having potential new readers be able to walk in to a store, buy a comic or two, and be able to understand most of what is going on.

Batman has a son?Howmany Robins have there been? And how many batgirls? And batwomen?So the Robin I know of became Nightwing and then Batman with Damian as Robin while Bruce was trapped in a series of alternate universes by the Omega Sanction? You know what, fuck it.

But it isn"t a real solution to reboot the universe. Again. Taking your long term customers that are dropping cash in your till every single month of the year and pissing them right the fuck off in hopes that you get more than you lose is a shitty plan and one that doesn"t address any of the core problems. Comics tell ongoing stories month to month. If you aren"t doing anything new why would people keep buying them so to keep people interested stuff has to happen. Characters can grow and change over time and genuine character development is nice to see. Yes, it becomes problematic for new readers when enough time has gone by but if someone is interested there are always trade paperbacks of excellent stories to recommend. Now those suggestions come with more Ifs and Butts than ever before.

And is DC going to stop telling the kinds of stories that alienate new readers? You know, shit like Infinite Crisis? God that was an overwritten mess. I guess a vampire (Mandrakk the Dark Monitor) is at the cause of all of this at the end and Superman finds him after building a machine that makes wishes? You know what DC, that"s your fucking problem right there. You tell stupid fucking stories in an effort to sell my comics. No amount of reboots are going to get new readers to follow that shit.

Bizanich_foh

shitlord
The whole comic book industry is a dinosaur, none of this matters. I accidentally came across some best seller lists one month and not a single one topped 70 or 80k (forget which).

They need to figure something new out.

And, no, I don"t have any suggestions. I just know I refuse to buy stories that don"t finish and are only 20-30 pages.

The Ancient said:
What should a comic book character dress like if they are a whore?

On a more serious note, what is your feeling on the Silk Spectre?
The original? It was very... period, I guess. Combined with the fact that her only power was to distract people with her mostly nekkidness. I guess it makes sense.

The more modern version for Silk Spectre II in the movies is Ok, and gets some leeway as kind of a homage type thing.

Cassandra Cain"s Batwoman costume is good.
Supergirl"s notsomuch.

Caliane

Supergirl has lots of costumes. Its actually kindof neat. Her DCAU one, is probably one of the worst offenders if you try drawing it realistically, or cosplay it. Really short white top showing belly, super short mini skirt. But looks pretty conservative/iconic in the animation.
scatchblag
Dont think I linked this here? Cory Walker has been doing some amazing Supergirl redesigns for fun for a while now. (Original Invincible artist.)

Her all ages book. Cosmic adventures in the 8th grade is amazing.
Her "main" title is trash, and is way too adult/grimdark for the character. The epitome of innocence in DC tied with Mary Marvel in the hands of 40 year old white manchildren writers. You can take a guess what happens.

Now, Supergirl isn"t treated QUITE that badly. But has come very close from time to time. She needs to be treated as Cosmic Adventures, or Spiderman loves MaryJane. aka fun teenage romp with social drama.

1: Mary Marvel as a kid. 2: Mary Marvel post Infinate Crisis. 3: Cory Walker Supergirl design sample. 4: super girl JL animated. ha Imagine if you ACTUALLY saw a 16 year old wearing that.

Caliane

oh wanted to clarify.

The killing joke, and Oracle are canon still. They happened.
Babs gets healed or something. Which is something many, myself included have complained about not happening really. It always was a bit stupid that every other member of the Batfamily has been healed of the same or worse things, and she didn"t. You didn"t even need to include the larger DC universe and their magic tech. (cyborg/arsenal robot arms/legs) In batman alone. Batman has his back broken by Bane. damian had his back broken. Dick did too iirc. Batwoman had her back broken and was outright killed. Steph was killed. Jason Todd broken and died. Lazerous pits with Todd and Batwoman.

I don"t think I have heard word on why exactly she would pick up the cowl despite all the character development... Nor what happens to Steph. Maybe Steph dies.. again..
Cass I think is BlackBat still.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The reason she isn"t up walking about is because she has made the decision to stay as she is. I agree with you that I can"t see why she would go back to costumed crime fighting with how important she is as Oracle but who knows.

If they keep it canon that she was crippled at least that"s something. Please oh please don"t be as stupid as Final Crisis.

Caliane said:
oh wanted to clarify.

The killing joke, and Oracle are canon still. They happened.
Babs gets healed or something. Which is something many, myself included have complained about not happening really. It always was a bit stupid that every other member of the Batfamily has been healed of the same or worse things, and she didn"t. You didn"t even need to include the larger DC universe and their magic tech. (cyborg/arsenal robot arms/legs) In batman alone. Batman has his back broken by Bane. damian had his back broken. Dick did too iirc. Batwoman had her back broken and was outright killed. Steph was killed. Jason Todd broken and died. Lazerous pits with Todd and Batwoman.

I don"t think I have heard word on why exactly she would pick up the cowl despite all the character development... Nor what happens to Steph. Maybe Steph dies.. again..
Cass I think is BlackBat still.
I don"t think anyone is arguing that there isn"t a reasonable way in-setting to get her up an walking again. It is the question of taking a great character as-is and just making her batgirl again. Especially when she has an awesome role to play in the universe, there is a perfectly good and fun batgirl, and Barbara is a great symbol for wheelchair people everywhere.

It is the editorial decision that I have the problem with.

Zeste_foh

shitlord
I just finished reading the "chronological Civil War" pack. It wasn"t a bad read.

I don"t see how anyone could have sided with Iron Man. It was sad to see him as the villain. I have no idea what happens after Civil War, I"m looking around a bit for other packs of completed series.

I have WWH and Planet Hulk, but Hulk never really did anything for me. I"ve read the Astonishing X-Men, I liked that series.

I also read the All Star Superman, I liked that alot too. There aren"t many DC characters I really like. I"ve got Batman Year One and the Dark Knight Returns, haven"t read them yet though.

Also, I forgot to add: Civil War carefully kept mutants out of the story, and made no mention of where Professor X and Magneto were, since they probably could have just won the war for themselves. I know there was the House of M and M-Day stuff sometime before this, does that basically explain why they aren"t around?

Caliane

Because Iron mans argument was totally correct. But the actions they had him do, is criminally insane. The only way they made it a story was by making Iron man act out of character, insane, and have Captain America literally be jesus.
Registration and conscription are like a million miles apart.
You register your car. you register your gun. Last time I checked, you have to have a license to own a gun in the US. But owning a gun does not force you to join the Army for life.

one of the jokes is the X-men refuse to register because its a violation of their privacy. At which point they use Cerebro to find and identify mutants, violating their privacy, and conscript them into the X-mens private army. yeah. They ARE a terrorist organization/cult.

The "proof" that the registration was bad, was Skrulls and fucking Green Goblin taking control of the conscription. Seriously green goblin. Again, the idea was correct, but in order to make it seem wrong, they had a known madman magically in charge.

A large part of mutants and others with powers in the Marvel world CAN"T control them. The government can only aide these people if they know who needs help. Kindof like any disability.

Zeste said:
I just finished reading the "chronological Civil War" pack. It wasn"t a bad read.

I don"t see how anyone could have sided with Iron Man. It was sad to see him as the villain. I have no idea what happens after Civil War, I"m looking around a bit for other packs of completed series.

I have WWH and Planet Hulk, but Hulk never really did anything for me. I"ve read the Astonishing X-Men, I liked that series.

I also read the All Star Superman, I liked that alot too. There aren"t many DC characters I really like. I"ve got Batman Year One and the Dark Knight Returns, haven"t read them yet though.

Also, I forgot to add: Civil War carefully kept mutants out of the story, and made no mention of where Professor X and Magneto were, since they probably could have just won the war for themselves. I know there was the House of M and M-Day stuff sometime before this, does that basically explain why they aren"t around?
Planet Hulk was neat. WWH, notsomuch.

I believe the mutants were doing M-day + "the 198" I think it was called. Where they were hanging out in a concentration camp mostly, then they went to San Fransisco at some point. They had their own stuff going on, so I think they were busy and had limited inpact if I recall.

EmiliaEQ_foh

shitlord
Bizanich said:
The whole comic book industry is a dinosaur, none of this matters. I accidentally came across some best seller lists one month and not a single one topped 70 or 80k (forget which)
The BEST comics come from "small indies" or are "old & finished series".

Walking Dead, Priest, Unknown Soldier, Punisher Max, Hellboy / BPRD, that british combat mage, Warren Ellis, Hyperion/SupremePower, The Authority (the original one), The Boys, DMZ, etc etc.

Stay away from DC/Marvel they are not worth it anymore...

Caliane

EmiliaEQ said:
The BEST comics come from "small indies" or are "old & finished series".

Walking Dead, Priest, Unknown Soldier, Punisher Max, Hellboy / BPRD, that british combat mage, Warren Ellis...
Stay away from DC/Marvel they are not worth it anymore...
Pretty much. While I do say there are some good Dc/marvel stuff. And even THERE is best to avoid the main stream, Really the great stuff is indie.
Dark horse, Vertigo, or smaller.
To add some more, to your list. beasts of burden, Empire, Sleeper, Incognito, The Unkown, Locke and Key, morning glories, Sweets, Pride of Bagdad, Invincible, IZombie, Planetary(DC universe), Madame Xanadu(DC universe), Lucifer, Sandman, Y:the last man, Hellblazer, Loose ends, lets go to Utah, Fables, Conan, Incorruptible, Irredeemable(two are related), Echo(terry moore). Some that come to mind off the top of my head.

Indie publishing has a VERY high bar usually to get published. Generally stuff needs to be phenomenal to get published, as its so hard to make a profit there. So if something does get put out by Vergito or Darkhorse, its a pretty safe bet to be good.

Mark Waid and Brubaker are two of the best writers out there.
Ellis can be hit or miss. Hes great, but also likes to put out pet projects. Things like Black summer, and Supergod. which are ok. but not really masterpieces like Planetary.

meStevo_foh

shitlord
I used to be into the indies, knew a lot of the writers and artists when I collected as a teenager (and got to meet a lot of them as they came in to sign), but now a days if it hasn"t had 900 issues over multiple titles and some nostalgic tie to when I collected previously I just can"t get into it.

I don"t know what it is, I"m just shallow I guess when it comes to my comics, I need the capes and webs and x-people.

While not quite so indie, I"m really looking forward to the new Bloodshot when Valiant returns next year, hope they dig up Armorines too.

EmiliaEQ_foh

shitlord
God how i could i forget these... Elephantmen / Fear Agent / Mouse guard
Franck Gravel / Martha Washington (first ones)...

I got about 600GB of from DCP but gave up, too much Marvel/DC crap, not enough Vertigo/Indies/Darkhorse.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Zeste said:
There was a Civil war X-men tie in mini. It revolved around Bishop telling the government mutants police themselves, the X-men declare neutrality and at some point the 198 concentration camp thing is dissolved.

Also at some point Ms. Marvel goes to the X-men to ask for help/them to register/etc and Emma frost basically tells Ms. marvel to fuck off and asks where the superheroes were when the purifiers were wholesale killing the children at the school and during every other mutant crisis. I think it was a New X-men book though, and not part of the Civil war officially. It was just there after the purifiers killed a bunch of kids.

And on a different topic, Gravel is a pretty sweet Independent comic.

meStevo_foh

shitlord
Fear itself starting to lose me, feels like a 3 issue event spread over 7. It also seems like they doubled the font size in number 4.