(Motor)Camping in South America

Ilum_sl

shitlord
So I am currently planning a 10 week trip to South America with a friend of mine. The plan is to fly to Santiago in Chile where we will purchase a motorcycle for around $1000. After Santiago we plan to drive up the coast towards Antonofagasta after which we will cross to Boliva. After doing a loop of Bolivia we plan on finishing the trip in Peru with our final destination being Lima. The budget for the trip is about $3000, this is excluding airfare and motorcycle purchase. We plan to do a fair amount of camping during our travels but are not exactly sure about the laws regarding camping outside of campingsgrounds.

Since I am basically new to (motor)camping any and all general camping advice (gear, do's and dont's etc.) is very welcome.

Also if you have any advice on cool stuff to do in either Chile, Bolivia or Peru or for travelling in South America in general please do tell!

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
So I am currently planning a 10 week trip to South America with a friend of mine. The plan is to fly to Santiago in Chile where we will purchase a motorcycle for around $1000. After Santiago we plan to drive up the coast towards Antonofagasta after which we will cross to Boliva. After doing a loop of Bolivia we plan on finishing the trip in Peru with our final destination being Lima. The budget for the trip is about $3000, this is excluding airfare and motorcycle purchase. We plan to do a fair amount of camping during our travels but are not exactly sure about the laws regarding camping outside of campingsgrounds.

Since I am basically new to (motor)camping any and all general camping advice (gear, do's and dont's etc.) is very welcome.

Also if you have any advice on cool stuff to do in either Chile, Bolivia or Peru or for travelling in South America in general please do tell!
Sounds awesome - but travel in South America can be pretty hairy. I assume you just got done watching Long Way Round, haha. I'm jealous, and think its definitely doable for $3k, assuming nothing happens to the bikes. You're going to need at least two saddlebags, preferably w/ locks (S. America is different). You'll need a few days to acclimate to the altitude in Chile, so I wouldn't put yourself on some sort of time table. I can't offer any advice about biking there, but keep this thread updated - sounds like a really interesting/gnarly trip.

Deeone

Molten Core Raider
Have you any previous experience in South America and do any of you speak spanish? You'll definitely need a bit if you get stuck anywhere.

My bit of advice would be to thoroughly check your insurance for details about coverage of motorcycle riding.

Ilum_sl

shitlord
Just booked my flight, flying from Frankfurt to Santiago and back from Lima to Amsterdam, was able to get it for EUR 692 through TAM airlines, I think I got a great deal! My and my friend did a similar trip in Vietnam last june/july which definitely was inspired on The Long Way Round/Down and the Top Gear episode. This trip is supposed to continu on that note. About my spanish, I am currently trying to complete the Duolingo course but I find that my thesis is taking up a fuckton of my time. On the safety issue, I really do not have clue about how safe Chile, Bolivia and Peru are, any input is much appreciated!

We are currently looking to buy these bikes btw:http://honda.cl/motos/calle-modelo-cgl-125.html
It seems very similar to the Honda Win 110cc we drove in Vietnam, only better since it actually is a Honda and not a Chinese knock off.

Will keep you posted!

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
I can tell you Chile is going to be by far the safest out of those by a long shot. How far south in Chile are you planning on going?

I cant say the same for Lima, I would try to honestly try to be around Miraflores or if you don't mind old San Isidro. I've been with my brother and friends in Lima chilling and out of the fucking blue had people come harass us trying to hustle / rob us and were all Latin (I look white, kinda) but we were near the markets which are really poor and were drinking hanging out being loud etc. The money exchange guys in the streets all around are also from what I've found another thing to stay away from. You going to do Cuzco also?

Drink an Inca Kola for me and post some pics or an album link when you get back.