Moving to Florida

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
My insurance went up this year for no reason at all except that they could do it. Time to start shopping.
Mine went up by almost 25% this year. Turns out the insurance company decided to stop giving me certain discounts until I called them (alarm, new roof). I also found out they increase your home's value every year by default which increases the rate. I had them adjust it back to a more realistic number.

Psypher_sl

shitlord
Any currently or previously live in florida?

My job would probably take me to Broward county.

What are your thoughts on florida from people who have experienced living there. I currently live outside of Philadelphia and the housing market out in FL seems much better and cheaper.
I lived and grew up in S.FL for 30+ years.

If you are young, love fishing, clubs, food, gambling then yeah go for it. It's a great place for all of that. High diversity and the hottest looking woman you'll ever see flock to S.Fla all year round from all over the world. The night scene has really exploded beyond belief in the past 5 years or so. Don't get me wrong, it's always been great. But where it's at now, is just unbelievable.

Now on to the reasons I left....
I've grown out of most of the reasons I listed except for the food
smile.png
Once you get married, have kids and look around you start to realize, shit, this really isn't a good place to raise kids hehe. Housing is NOT cheap unless you're going to move to a crime ridden shit hole. When you analyze what you get for your money you'll see that ultimately you are paying a very high price for the weather and location.

Property tax and homeowners insurance just plain sucks. There really aren't many suburbs down there. The city has pretty much expanded to every possible square inch. It's palm trees and concrete. It's the same weather all year long. Hot and Hotter. It's flat. Hope your Spanish is good because you can't get away from it down there. I speak Spanish, but I hate when I have no option but to use it which is like all the time down there.

As for the government, someone said it's run well. No it's not, especially Miami. The amount of corruption is just insane and disgusting. Schools are pure shit. And I not only know this as a parent, but I also have family members in education and school administration.

As for work, S.Fla is pretty much about health care, hospitality and banking. Anything outside of that is just shit. There really aren't any huge companies except for a few here and there. The tech industry is horrible with most places only want to pay half of industry standards.

So, just asking how it is is not a simple question to answer. It all depends on what you are looking for. Personally I moved out to a suburb outside of Atlanta because I found housing and schools to be much better out here. The tech industry here is huge with no lack of work. I love having actual seasons. The amount of trees, hills, parks, hiking trails, etc... is just great. It's location in the US for catching flights and even road trips to other states is great. From Miami it takes about 11 hours driving just to get out of the state, though it is a great location for traveling through the Caribbean.

But hey, coming from Philly, anything is bound to be better
smile.png

Good luck!

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
When you analyze what you get for your money you'll see that ultimately you are paying a very high price for the weather and location.
I watch those shows on HGTV where they are house-hunting etc and it always blows me away at how little people are paying for these big-ass houses in some areas. Real estate pricing sucks here, no doubt. Ouch.

Steve.Oh_sl

shitlord
I was looking into moving to Fl, But it is too expensive right now. I am still looking for a decent house that's not too high in price.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Save yourself the money and the headache, the place is a crap hole. Lived there for 4 years and have been back and forth 100 times or so. It's just not a fun place to live.