Moving to San Antonio

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Hey guys, so a little mix of vacation and just city advice I suppose. Work is relocating me to San Antonio TX from Phoenix AZ, and I'll be moving sometime in the next 6 months.

Before I officially move I'll have a week out there to finalize a home purchase, as well as site-see like a tourist, so would love any suggestions. I've never been to Texas, let alone San Antonio, so I have no idea what's there. I keep hearing something about a Riverwalk, but other than that I'm clueless.

Work is in the Northwest part of town, right near Sea World, and so will be buying a home in that area. From looking on Zillow, and Google Maps, it seems the city is layed out very similar to Phoenix, where everything is very spread out. Is it going to suck balls living so far outside of the center of the city? Would hate to move there, only to find out that we have to drive 45 minutes to an hour just to do anything.

Any other advice, or suggestions, would be greatly appreciated! Wife, new baby son, and I are looking forward to this next part of our lives, but never hurts to have extra input from others who may know. Thanks!

checkyeah_sl

shitlord
Not a fan of downtown San Antonio. I'd probably recommend staying in the northwest area between the two loops. Find a good allergist and have your entire family get an allergy test once you arrive.

Crone

Not a fan of downtown San Antonio. I'd probably recommend staying in the northwest area between the two loops. Find a good allergist and have your entire family get an allergy test once you arrive.
Why? am I missing some joke in there? lol

checkyeah_sl

shitlord
The allergy part? No, unless you enjoy having 1/4 of your life ruined (juniper "cedar" is the worst).

http://activerain.com/image_store/up...5628387192.jpg

Like most cities there are some good and bad areas. NW San Antonio would be one of the nicer areas to raise a family.

You can take quick trips up to Austin for a better downtown experience. San Antonio is one of those places where you have to find hidden gems in the downtown area, thankfully there is Yelp and Google. Some pretty good comedians come here:http://www.lolsanantonio.com/

The best part of the northwest area of SA is being between the Guadalupe and Frio Rivers. The Frio is better for families.

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...n-front-of.jpg
http://www.texasescapes.com/SplashAc...eind100107.jpg

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Why? am I missing some joke in there? lol
I assume they are talking about cedar allergies. I'm not certain on San Antonio but up around Austin and up to and around Waco they can be pretty bad. Other than that I have no idea.

Out of all the large metro areas in Texas, San Antonio is the only one I would move to.

checkyeah_sl

shitlord
Nice. Thanks for the heads up. We will do that right away. My work is right near Sea World which I thought was fun. I didn't even know there was a Sea World in Texas.

Also loving all the big back yards I'm seeing on these houses for sale. And with all green grass.
Yea, You are looking at some of the best real estate / square footage for the money in that area. I've never been to the Sea World - the thought of salt water fish in the middle of Texas has deterred me. The best thing about Texas is the food, it's horrible for you, but it's damn good. There are tons of lakes, rivers, places to hike & bike between San Antonio and Austin. You've got a ton of water parks, including the infamousSchlitterbahn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediain New Baunfels, which is the top destination for families during the summer. I'd recommend going on a weekday Mon-Thurs. It becomes a standing in line park on weekends. The riverwalk can be nice, but sometimes it smells bad or just seems dirty. It may depend on the rain and time of year - I'm not entirely sure.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you like beer, San Antonio has a couple of good brewpubs in Freetail and Blue Star. The bar and restaurant scene is pretty good, from what I hear. Maybe one of the locals could elaborate.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
San Antonio's sprawl is fucking terrible. It's the one thing I hate about Texas cities. You'll spend about 30 minutes driving from one end to the other. Check out the Alamo Heights area for homes.

Crone

San Antonio's sprawl is fucking terrible. It's the one thing I hate about Texas cities. You'll spend about 30 minutes driving from one end to the other. Check out the Alamo Heights area for homes.
I've lived in Phoenix Az my whole life so I know exactly what you mean. Much longer than 30 minutes even. I've had a ton of friends move 45+ minutes away and I tell all of them nice knowing ya, and I'll see em once every couple months. Lol

Crone

I'll be moving into the North West/West of the city. Anyone able to fill me in on utility services that I'll be working with?

Looks like Comcast or Time Warner for cable/internet?

That's mainly what I'm looking at, as I don't have TV, just internet where I'm at now, and would like to keep it that way.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'd say Time Warner in San Antonio is one of their better service areas... I got pretty fast speeds when I lived there. They also offer fiber/ethernet solutions to businesses to try to compete with typical T1 phone company dominance when people ask at work why one person in an office watching youtube prevents anyone else from doing any work.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Finally hung out in SATX this past weekend for a couple days. A friend of mine and I went there because she was DJing at Southtown 101. We mostly hung out in that area, it was pretty cool. Met some really nice folks. I will still take Austin over SATX, but we left with a good impression.