Mr. Robot

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Watched the finale, appreciated it more than enjoyed it. Part of me is disappointed we never got to see anything with Whiterose's machine, why she killed herself, etc - the "sci fi element" - but I can appreciate a finely crafted mental illness story. I wouldn't want to watch a lot of them, but Mr. Robot earned its end.

At the end of part 1 all I was thinking was "yeah, I can see why Elliot would murder a dude for Portia's pussy, she is fine as hell". Apparently though the two of them dating early on in the show, and he cheated on her with his co-star chick from Bohemian Rhapsody and Portia (Angela) and he don't have any scenes together, its all stiched up stuff. Probably also why she exited the show in episode 1 of this season which was a bit weird.

I wonder when the real Elliot wakes up if he has all the memories of everyone or if he freaks the fuck out. I don't find that ending that interesting honestly, but I guess its the most grounded.

Damn... Elliot Alderson had Lucy Boynton as his side-piece while he was also banging Portia Doubleday? That lucky son of a bitch

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
I have always wanted to create a show or an outline for one that would give away the ending at the beginning. Seeing it done so well gave me goosebumps. I had a feeling the ending would be good, but this was thoroughly satisfying to me. Looking forward to a re-watch to see all the ester eggs scattered through the seasons. I had a feeling the machine was a red herring, so I am not bummed about it.

The writing, acting, cinematography, music... All top notch. One of the best TV shows ever made IMO.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

nu_11

I have always wanted to create a show or an outline for one that would give away the ending at the beginning. Seeing it done so well gave me goosebumps. I had a feeling the ending would be good, but this was thoroughly satisfying to me. Looking forward to a re-watch to see all the ester eggs scattered through the seasons. I had a feeling the machine was a red herring, so I am not bummed about it.

The writing, acting, cinematography, music... All top notch. One of the best TV shows ever made IMO.
Except for the fact that the entire driving force behind Elliot's actions, including fsociety, was bullshit. He was just some emo kid who was diddled by daddy and took it out on the world. And got all of his friends killed in the process.

Price was retconned to be a little bitch that was only trying to protect his daughter.
Tyrell turned into a whiny little bitch who just punked out in the woods.
Whiterose's project was a whole lot of nothing. We don't even know if Whiterose was a bad guy or whatever.

All that happened was that some faceless 0.01%ers lost their fortunes. Meh.

Last edited:
  • 1EyeRoll
  • 1Salty

goishen

Macho Ma'am

I knew that it was a red herring by the start of this season. If we didn't know what it was by now, it would either be too simple (for us computer people) for most people to grasp or too far out there for anybody to get.

Except for the fact that the entire driving force behind Elliot's actions, including fsociety, was bullshit. He was just some emo kid who was diddled by daddy and took it out on the world. And got all of his friends killed in the process.

Price was retconned to be a little bitch that was only trying to protect his daughter.
Tyrell turned into a whiny little bitch who just punked out in the woods.
Whiterose's project was a whole lot of nothing. We don't even know if Whiterose was a bad guy or whatever.

All that happened was that some faceless 0.01%ers lost their fortunes. Meh.

Meh, not really.

The entire reason behind the 99% movement weren't bullshit, and the show was meant to mirror that. Only difference is, the real 99% movement had Sabo (I think, it's been a while since I've seen the Hacker Wars) and in Mr. Robot, they had quite a different turn of events, being that they hacked the FBI.

Also, it's questionable whether he was molested by his father, or that was just that character's creation. Something to rebel against, something to make his mind sharper.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I knew that it was a red herring by the start of this season. If we didn't know what it was by now, it would either be too simple (for us computer people) for most people to grasp or too far out there for anybody to get.

Meh, not really.

The entire reason behind the 99% movement weren't bullshit, and the show was meant to mirror that. Only difference is, the real 99% movement had Sabo (I think, it's been a while since I've seen the Hacker Wars) and in Mr. Robot, they had quite a different turn of events, being that they hacked the FBI.

Also, it's questionable whether he was molested by his father, or that was just that character's creation. Something to rebel against, something to make his mind sharper.

He was definitely molested.

Merrith

I'm going to have to do a rewatch at some point, it's been so long I forgot about the mirror scene from S1. Just crazy good way to finish after chewing on it. Don't really care about the machine being a red herring. I'm still curious as to WhiteRose's motivations, but the journey we go on with Elliott's personalities and how it was tied up was way too good to worry about that.

• 1Like

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not everything needs to be "explained".

1577265364055.jpg

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I wonder what the real Elliot is like. Solid ending. Definitely one of my top shows.

Last edited:

Butthurt

<Nazi Janitors>
So the director of the Chinese Ministry for State Security attempts to melt down an american nuclear reactor and ... nothing?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Well, he was exposed as an international criminal and leader of a shadow government group beforehand, and was on the run having had his remaining loyal followers murder the entire squad that was sent to arrest him, so idk. I don't think it is clear what is known about White Rose's machine outside of the people we have seen on the show, or what the issue with the plant was. Either way, pretty sure White Rose's relationship with the Chinese govt was no longer super awesome.

I don't mind the machine not being the focus of the finale. The ending explains a lot, also. Like why the fuck did the Allsafe CEO have such faith and investment in this weird hacker dude, real Elliot must be starkly different. Would be interesting to rewatch with this new perspective and see what clues were there and what other mysteries there are.

• 1Like

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Whiterose machine is Whiterose, a two-faced vessel of both grand delusion and well organized operation. The delusional side thought the machine would really work. the organized side made everything possible for that. Whether it's a time machine or an apocalypse device doesn't really matter, it was his escape, a sprinboard to a better world, probably a world where his lover and him would be reunited. That's probably why he tried to pressure Elliott into thinking Angela "isn't dead".

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I still haven't bothered watching the last season... I really liked the first 4, but I just didn't care at all about the final. I'll give it a shot eventually. It's sitting on my computer, and has been since every episode aired.

Merrith

I still haven't bothered watching the last season... I really liked the first 4, but I just didn't care at all about the final. I'll give it a shot eventually. It's sitting on my computer, and has been since every episode aired.

There's only 4 seasons.

• 2Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Just binged this show over the past month or so.

I spaced out a few times during S2 and S3, the show clearly doesn't respect your time at a few points in the run, especially during those middle seasons. Worth powering through though, because the best episodes are some of the best-written, best-shot TV ever, and the ending is fantastic, in that it answers all the questions that matter.

It's also probably the most genre-aware show ever. It plays with tropes from so many other shows and movies, always making you think you know what's going to happen or how it's going to end. Constant and not-subtle allusions to Fight Club, The Matrix, even a bit of Primer near the end.

The cinematography and score/soundtrack choices are particularly outstanding.

So many wasted plotlines though. And while the ending answers all the important questions, it is a little too on-the-nose, though that still beats the endings of many genre shows in the past decade or so.