MS DOS Games

Siliconemelons

Any adventure game by Lucas Arts. And Stunts, Stunts was the shit.
there are two camps in the DOS world...the Sierra > LA camp and the LA > Sierra camp... its almost as bad as those darn FF8 people.

... back on topic... ledged of the longbow - yessir

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Oh yeah, those horrible sound effects and the slow slow slooooow flight times of the bananas bring back not so fond memories!

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
there are two camps in the DOS world...the Sierra > LA camp and the LA > Sierra camp... its almost as bad as those darn FF8 people.

... back on topic... ledged of the longbow - yessir
Doesn't Day of the Tentacle just nuke anything from Sierra?

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Oh man, I remember playing that on my brother's 386. If I remember correctly, it wasn't an .exe itself, but you had to launch it through some editor/programing program? Basic maybe?
You had to run it through Qbasic. We played that a ton in my computer shop in high school. Bunch of fucking NERDS! lol

edit: That'll teach me for replying before reading the rest of the thread. Looks like it was covered already. hehe

Scorched Earth! Wow I forgot all about that one. My dad had it on his PC way back when Prodigy Online was still cool. Man thems were the days!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I don't see it on there but if they ever add Masters of Magic...that's the best DOS game ever, it's really the only one I go back and seriously play still.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
god scorched earth. We used to spend hours playing that on the computers at school in 1994. lol. Good times.

Edit:

Games I played on that list when I was a kid with a short review:

Digger - fun little game, always loved it when I was a kid.
Alleycat - One of the first games I played on my old sperry 8088 when I was in elementary school lol.
Starflight -get and play this game if you havent - this is the 1986 equivalent of "No Mans Sky" being talked about today. Seriously. This game is FANTASTIC. Can't play through dosbox probably but codewheel is here (Starflight Resource Pages :: Starport Codes). You can also buy this on GOG for likr $3 for both SF1 and 2.
Bust-A-Move - lol, was fun to play ^^
Burgertime - Fun game, remember playing it a bit as a kid.
Falcon 3.0 - Only flight sim game I really ever liked.
Rogue - Nethack clone, but a very good one, very much enjoyed this game.
Simant - I got this when I got my first 486, a fun game
wink.png

Hexxagon - Another game we played for hours in comp class in school.
One Must Fall 2097 - Hell yeah, fun fighting game
Styx - A very good QIX clone, if you remember that game from the atari days.
Klax - Played this a lot in the arcade, but not on PC. Fun though.

few others missing from the list or I just overlooked that was very fun...

Spacewar
Montezumas Revenge
The Hobbit (From 1982)
Night Mission Pinball
Robotron 2084
Zork I (Text game)
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (Text game)
Jumping Joe
Depth Charge

Edit: Some of the above are there (just noticed search) but most don't run that good either too fast or too slow or keys dont work.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Huge +1 to scorched earth. Had a mac version I played, but appears to be exact same. (Items names etc)

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
No mentioning of
Darklands or
Populous or
Ascendancy or
Stronghold (the original one)

makes me sad.

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
Wasn't the original Wing Commander a DOS game too? That game was pretty damn fun, sunk a lot of hours into that.

Siliconemelons

Doesn't Day of the Tentacle just nuke anything from Sierra?
I am a Sierra camp fanboi and am looking very much forward to the new Kings Quest... and Kings Quest really to me trumps practically any adventure game- its like Into the Woods and Shrek before they existed or where well known. Space Quest was the comedy I liked better than many of the Lucas games feel- that's just personal opinion and what kind of humor you get.

as for the "bananas" etc. game it was a game made to help teach you to learn basic-a and q-basic - it was for "kids" to learn programming...now kids would be like wtf? I remember looking at the code of that game to get everything all figured out- I made some choose your own adventure type games with visuals etc. like a dumbed down ledged of the red dragon type game. QBasic was so fun.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Most DOS games I played were SimCity and SimCity 2000, Dune 2, M.A.X. (and M.A.X. 2, but I think that was Win95, two highly underrated turn based strategy games), Transport Tycoon Deluxe, Civilization 1 and 2, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom 1 and 2, the Commander Keen games. Man, so many games, there are probably dozens more that I played less or might be old Win95 games. Good times, and over 20 years ago! I'm getting old!

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I am a Sierra camp fanboi and am looking very much forward to the new Kings Quest... and Kings Quest really to me trumps practically any adventure game- its like Into the Woods and Shrek before they existed or where well known. Space Quest was the comedy I liked better than many of the Lucas games feel- that's just personal opinion and what kind of humor you get.

as for the "bananas" etc. game it was a game made to help teach you to learn basic-a and q-basic - it was for "kids" to learn programming...now kids would be like wtf? I remember looking at the code of that game to get everything all figured out- I made some choose your own adventure type games with visuals etc. like a dumbed down ledged of the red dragon type game. QBasic was so fun.
Oh yeah, I played the Sierra games (and Lucas Arts). If the new KQ game doesn't kill you on the first screen if you don't position yourself correctly when pushing a rock then it will be a failure!

Terial

Trakanon Raider

Sierra games were the best back in the day, loved every one of them.. i tried to do a few of the updated ones when they made it mouse click to do everything. It was just not the same. I loved that you had to figure out what to type and how to do things.
>get ball
you don't see a ball
>look under bridge
you see a ball
>get ball under bridge
you can't reach that
>use stick
what do you want to use the stick on
>ball
you don't see a ball

aarrrggghhhh
hahah great games
smile.png

Itzena_sl

shitlord
"World Circuit" is Geoff Crammond's Formula One Grand Prix, apparently.

E: Holy crap the list just keeps going. Championship Manager, Utopia, Warlords, Elite, Microprose Soccer (proto-Sensisoccer), Nuclear War, Great Giana Sisters, James Pond 2: Robocod, D-Generation, a bunch of Team 17 stuff...
Shame they've not got the superior Amiga versions though.

E2: Welp, just found Eye of the Beholder and its sequel. See you in a few days.
smile.png