MTG: Arena

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Jesus christ you fucking mouth breathers stop it with the pay to win nonsense.

Magic never has been pay to win - it's pay to compete. It costs literally 0$ to play or win games, even in paper you can play with random trash piles of donated cards from libraries or just regular players that don't want the crap in their house. Or you can even just write on cards with sharpie and play with proxies, no one gives a fuck.

If you want to play competitively then it's time to open your wallet.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
This and MTGO are very cheap/freeroll if you're good at the game. The top 10 percent or whatever it works out to basically get supported by everyone else, and if you're in the bottom 25 percent or so it's always going to be kind of brutal in games like this. With the dailies and prerelease codes and all that shit though even being mediocre at Magic seems like you can do this relatively cheap compared to other games in the genre.
MTG Arena is a lot free-er than MTGO that's for sure.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

Truth hurts huh?
every card in the game is potentially available via in game currency. in game currency, that is easily farmed, and given at great rates via dailys.
if you do 4 wins per day+daily, you get 1050, or 1300 gold per day.

lets say war of the spark drops April 18th.
you have 68 days till then. you would then have a minimum of 71,400 gold to spend on war of the spark, day 1.

you also, do not need a complete set, to be competitive in a set. that is an absurd statement. That is what wildcards are for. And, wildcards are FAR more cost effective then trying to buy 10-30$ rares in paper.

Caliane

this is a solid pauper deck, thats not petitioners.

burn bright red/green.
flood the board with 1/1s. then go in with like 10 4/1s.

4 Ghitu Lavarunner 4 Llanowar Elves 1 Footlight Fiend 4 Goblin Instigator 4 Viashino Pyromancer 2 Jungleborn Pioneer 1 Yavimaya Sapherd 2 Shock 3 Warlord's Fury 3 Saproling Migration 3 Burn Bright 4 Goblin Gathering 1 Trumpet Blast 3 Savage Smash 9 Mountain 8 Forest 4 Gruul Guildgate

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
4 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
10 Forest (RIX) 196
3 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
5 Island (RIX) 193
2 Zegana, Utopian Speaker (RNA) 214
2 Hadana's Climb (RIX) 158
4 Merfolk Branchwalker (XLN) 197
4 Wildgrowth Walker (XLN) 216
4 Jadelight Ranger (RIX) 136
4 Growth-Chamber Guardian (RNA) 128
3 Incubation Druid (RNA) 131
2 Vivien Reid (M19) 208
4 Hinterland Harbor (DAR) 240
3 Negate (RIX) 44
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
2 Incubation // Incongruity (RNA) 226

Maybe I'm just lucky. This brew has been destroying the Bo1 queue. At the very least, it's got a good shot against any of the meta decks. It's got enough lifegain to beat RDW and WW variants, and the negates give you a shot against the various control or midrange walker decks since you've got plenty of early beats to put pressure on them and you can generate a ton of card advantage against control via your own Vivien and Growth Chamber Guardians and of course Krasis, so you've got reach. The Negates aren't dead against any decks, they're fine against any of the 3 and 4 mana enchantments that WW plays and I'm not going to complain about Negating a Risk Factor or Experimental Frenzy.

The matchup vs Drakes is a little rough, but Vivien amd Krasis helps. I've won games by jump-blocking drakes with Hadana's Climb.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
i'd pay 1000 right now to have a 'fuck you' clicky to say to the opponent

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
What can a man do when his first pack is a captive audience?

draft 3 ill gotten inheritance and the captive audience

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
if I met a mono blue player irl and they told me they manually tapped their lands I'd fucking murder them

what is with these dumb fucking cunts

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
if I met a mono blue player irl and they told me they manually tapped their lands I'd fucking murder them

what is with these dumb fucking cunts

If I play against blue I purposely take the entire time every single turn. because fuck you

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
B/U/W or U/W decks who's ONLY purpose is to drag out the game and make people quit because they're FUCKING BORED. WTF?

shishare

Golden Knight of the Realm
3 in a row of thay shit this morning. No win con at all, just infinite turns, and nothing to change board state. Its fucking stupid

• 1Barf

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
i cant stop !!

1549840220599.png

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ok, for some reason I cannot win with the gate deck. 10 games and I have yet to win with this deck that everyone plays. I keep getting matched against perfect decks that defeat it every time. I just deleted the deck because of this. If I cannot win with a deck after 10 attempts...fuck it.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
3 in a row of thay shit this morning. No win con at all, just infinite turns, and nothing to change board state. Its fucking stupid

if they truly have no win condition, then you can report them and get them banned (temp ban for the first offense however). sucks that you have to go to a web browser to report someone, but i happily took the time to do it to rat the guy out.

gotta be pretty sure they have no win con, tho, some of these decks run just a single win condition card. if their win condition card is at the very bottom of the deck, then it's legal for them to Nexus of Fate for 40 turns or however long it takes to get down to that card. so yeah, pretty much can only be sure they have no win condition if you neglect to concede until you've seen their entire deck.

Sterling

El Presidente
Most of those decks run a Krasis or 2. A lot of those decks don't run Teferi anymore since they're going U/G or BUG now instead of Bant.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Just 7-2 my 2nd sealed, after I 6-2ed the first. The average player skill level seems very low.

On MTGO I usually made 2-3 sealed decks, then picked the best, on Arena I just threw some pile together, replaced a land with a card and was ready.

Having played legacy for far too long, it seems the constructed deck options are so limited. Pretty much everyone is playing some form of aggro or mid-range and the only "combo" deck that is seen has a combo that is made of ramping towards nexus and looping it.

I feel a lot of the cards that are interesting in standard are only that due to the very limited environment.

Lets hope they at least go back to include modern as a format, based on previous events it seems unlikely.