MTG: Arena

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
it doesn't happen very often but there have been instances of decks that were masturbatory and/or abusive in their game length that got themselves ejected. Eggs is the most recent example. It was a combo deck in Modern notorious for impacting event length. Four Horseman is 100% masturbation and that deck was just plain ruled to not be playable in paper.

please don't compare nexus to four horsemen

also both the decks you named involve looping a combo which isn't absolutely guaranteed to advance the board state, so they aren't legit to loop

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
yup.

i'm not even sure i agree that it should have been banned. their main concern in banning it is that new players get extremely frustrated by it, and they don't want to lose this new customer base that they're growing with Arena. would help if they added more play modes instead, perhaps. the BO1 non-ranked play option is filled with tier 1 decks, they need to add a play mode specifically for newer people somehow rather than mess up their current formats.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
removing things that frustrate players ruins the game for other players

stasis has been legal for 20 years

i agree they are trying to please a new customer base though, i guess they will inquire about our phone ownership soon

i think will proceed to make a deck with 8 fogs, 8 sweepers, some ramp and lifegain, and teferi's backed up by 1 random walker as wincon

fog OP

• 1Salty

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
i complained about nexus decks being extremely unfriendly to play, so yes

if they allowed people to loop combo, the game would end faster and be more enjoyable for both parties

i do massively prefer white weenie for my grinds

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
please don't compare nexus to four horsemen

also both the decks you named involve looping a combo which isn't absolutely guaranteed to advance the board state, so they aren't legit to loop

The only reason to be against porting the chess clock from MTGO to Arena is because you want to be the person playing masturbatory, time monopolizing decks and you want more than your fair share of time to jerk off on your opponent's face.

• 1Like

shishare

Golden Knight of the Realm
Big difference between getting blown out quick, and starting a new game, and waiting 30 minutes to see if they make 1 mistake.

Totally fine with just a ban in bo1, when i only have time for 1-2 decent games, that shit was ridiculous

• 2Like

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Sometimes someone gets a great draw and many decks feel unbeatable or unfair, but the AIDS of fog/teferi/untaps/infinite turns is a different type of AIDS. It’s like saying you have to die of aids and watch time share presentations until you die.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
ITT: posters trying to turn MTG into a timmy version of the real game

i expected more from some people

this is a retarded suggestion, watch any stream from any pro MTG player, noone plays that fast

its not because you play all the shit you have in hand asap without a second thought that you should assume others are equally fast through stupidity

fortnite seems more like your kind of game

There are many players who would enjoy this format. I did not state that it should be the rule of all games. Almost every player I actually know(Friends at game shop) have wanted this kind of format because they get tired of.......a..........................player........................................taking...................................................their.......................................................................sweet...................................................time......................................starting...................................with..................................the...................................very.........................first..............................turn.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Punko Punko there are a lot of more knowledgeable players here than you when it comes to this stuff.

Cards have been banned in multiple formats for issues other than power.

I don't use the term "not fun to play against" because wotc has never banned cards due to unfunness.

If you want a pretty recent example take a look at Sensei's Divining Top and it's ban in Modern.

It was not overpowered or over represented in the format.

It did not send itself to a degenerative deck or combo.

It was not "unfun" in an abstract way.

So why was it banned?

Because it made tournaments take too long to finish. Every player with top would add 3-5 minutes in their turn sorting out their draws with top. Combine that with a 4,000 person GP with 8 rounds day 1 you have a massive problem.

So banning a card due to administrative issues such as time management or stalling has a precedent since shaharazad in Arabian Nights.

This is in no way catering to Timmy's stop being a scrub.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Brand

Molten Core Raider
I find this banning to be a poor reaction. It removes an archetype and limits options. The deck was simple to counter, but forced a certain type of play. This was not a good move.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If Arena Best of One is its own segregated little quarantine zone with its own rule set than whatever. Once Arena starts impacting the rest of the game as a whole (including physical) I'll get the pitchforks and torches. I can understand not wanting your free to play daily grinder best of one leper customers to bail on the game because the quickest way to play some games wasn't quick.

• 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Alternate art cards for singleton event this weekend. Not even sure what I would build for a singleton deck. Its the one format I have not tried.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
If Arena Best of One is its own segregated little quarantine zone with its own rule set than whatever. Once Arena starts impacting the rest of the game as a whole (including physical) I'll get the pitchforks and torches. I can understand not wanting your free to play daily grinder best of one leper customers to bail on the game because the quickest way to play some games wasn't quick.

Same boat as you. If you want MTG hearthstone then BO1 is the place to do it, ban every card that isn't swing to the face and let the casuals go wild.

The second Hasbro starts printing flip a coin ancestral recalls then I know it's time to divest my collection.

Stuff like removing May triggers are fine but also narrow the game from a design perspective and modular cards like Knight of Autumn who look like they where designed for a BO1 format are interesting.

They need to really sit down and be transparent with what they want Arena to be because they are starting to alienate both sides when they won't commit

• 2Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
so how weird is it that fucking Machete is the Magic the Gathering mascot for Valentine's Day?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Same boat as you. If you want MTG hearthstone then BO1 is the place to do it, ban every card that isn't swing to the face and let the casuals go wild.

The second Hasbro starts printing flip a coin ancestral recalls then I know it's time to divest my collection.

Stuff like removing May triggers are fine but also narrow the game from a design perspective and modular cards like Knight of Autumn who look like they where designed for a BO1 format are interesting.

They need to really sit down and be transparent with what they want Arena to be because they are starting to alienate both sides when they won't commit
I agree that more modal spells is the best upside that can happen from Arena.

I don't foresee the downsides being that bad.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Punko Punko there are a lot of more knowledgeable players here than you when it comes to this stuff.

Cards have been banned in multiple formats for issues other than power.

I don't use the term "not fun to play against" because wotc has never banned cards due to unfunness.

If you want a pretty recent example take a look at Sensei's Divining Top and it's ban in Modern.

It was not overpowered or over represented in the format.

It did not send itself to a degenerative deck or combo.

It was not "unfun" in an abstract way.

So why was it banned?

Because it made tournaments take too long to finish. Every player with top would add 3-5 minutes in their turn sorting out their draws with top. Combine that with a 4,000 person GP with 8 rounds day 1 you have a massive problem.

So banning a card due to administrative issues such as time management or stalling has a precedent since shaharazad in Arabian Nights.

This is in no way catering to Timmy's stop being a scrub.

What a great post that probably still won't convince soft heads that the ban was about the slow gameplay and not "hur dur nexus isn't powerful why ban"