MTG: Arena

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I think most the problems in this game are pretty minor compared with the fact that decks are weighted to queue against certain decks. For folks who put in some hours, it really stales the game and things start to get really boring when Deck A will go against deck B and C 80% of the time cause reasons. It's especially annoying when wanting to play rare/mythic heavy jank in non-ranked play.

I have a fairly large number of decks I switch between and the weighted queue's become so obvious. Like you wouldn't know there are a shit ton of people queuing with janky fun helm of the host decks unless you built a deck that the algorithm queues into it, but they're out there.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I think most the problems in this game are pretty minor compared with the fact that decks are weighted to queue against certain decks. For folks who put in some hours, it really stales the game and things start to get really boring when Deck A will go against deck B and C 80% of the time cause reasons. It's especially annoying when wanting to play rare/mythic heavy jank in non-ranked play.

I have a fairly large number of decks I switch between and the weighted queue's become so obvious. Like you wouldn't know there are a shit ton of people queuing with janky fun helm of the host decks unless you built a deck that the algorithm queues into it, but they're out there.

It seems like 9 out of 10 matches I play is Izzet decks, mixed with that stupid Teffari bullshit. Gets pretty stale after awhile. I actually enjoy when I run up against some weird deck that isn’t meta, and will play it out just to see something new. Part of the fun of magic is trying to build something fun and seeing if you can make it work. I guess with the online aspect, it’s easier for folks to take the path of least resistance and just pull a list off of some website, then to put in the time building something original.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
It seems like 9 out of 10 matches I play is Izzet decks, mixed with that stupid Teffari bullshit. Gets pretty stale after awhile. I actually enjoy when I run up against some weird deck that isn’t meta, and will play it out just to see something new. Part of the fun of magic is trying to build something fun and seeing if you can make it work. I guess with the online aspect, it’s easier for folks to take the path of least resistance and just pull a list off of some website, then to put in the time building something original.

ya me too, throw together some jank decks that still play well and queue up, you'll see there's a huge variety of decks in queue, good ones, but you'll rarely play them with meta decks or certain jank, it's like certain cards have preference to go against certain cards.

• 1Like

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>

It does seem like U/R/W control or some combo of it is ridiculously overrepresented on the ranked ladder. Made a mono black sacrifice deck just to troll the syncopates and spell pierces, good luck with my reassembling skeletons!

• 1Solidarity

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I'm crushing this Momir's Madness event somehow... 7-1 so far. Seems like it'd be too random to do this consistently well, not really sure exactly what I'm doing different if I am...

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm crushing this Momir's Madness event somehow... 7-1 so far. Seems like it'd be too random to do this consistently well, not really sure exactly what I'm doing different if I am...
how the heck?

yeah, I gave it a try. First two opponents. Tendershoot dryad. well game over...

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Up to 10-2 now

Guess I'm just making better moment-to-moment tactical decisions? Seems nuts tho. I see some other people bank their cards early on so they can cast more big cards later, I'm not doing that at all. Just dumping all my Mana each turn. There's lots of good drops at 7 Mana, so I'm mostly staying there instead of ramping up to 8 or 9 at the end like some people.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Up to 10-2 now

Guess I'm just making better moment-to-moment tactical decisions? Seems nuts tho. I see some other people bank their cards early on so they can cast more big cards later, I'm not doing that at all. Just dumping all my Mana each turn. There's lots of good drops at 7 Mana, so I'm mostly staying there instead of ramping up to 8 or 9 at the end like some people.

lot of rng lol

but ya, saving mana as long as possible to try to get drop tempo def increases the odds

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
If you can manage to get 8 lands out, there's some real bastards in there. Zeltalpa, Torgaar and Polyraptor keep winning matches for me, and the other pulls aren't too bad. Save up enough for 10, and just repeat Impervious Greatwurms being the only 10 drop. At 9 mana, you got a 1 in 3 chance of pulling Zacama, and with all the mana, you can easily use 2 of his abilities to start evening things back out.

Was originally dumping all my mana each turn and lucking out on ramp creatures or card draw, but it's a roll of the dice. Really seem to be getting more wins by saving up the first 2-3 rounds unless they drop something crazy at the start. It's a lot of fun though.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
If you can manage to get 8 lands out, there's some real bastards in there. Zeltalpa, Torgaar and Polyraptor keep winning matches for me, and the other pulls aren't too bad. Save up enough for 10, and just repeat Impervious Greatwurms being the only 10 drop.

Was originally dumping all my mana each turn and lucking out on ramp creatures or card draw, but it's a roll of the dice. Really seem to be getting more wins by saving up the first 2-3 rounds unless they drop something crazy at the start. It's a lot of fun though.

if you can beat your opponent to 10 and sustain you get that 16/16 everytime

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
if you can beat your opponent to 10 and sustain you get that 16/16 everytime

Yep, saw a guy pull that on me, and got my ass kicked. So now it's go for the 10 or keep spamming 8's. The 8's have really been wrecking shit, though.

It seems like it's relatively quick matches, and pretty easy to go 4-5. With the double rares or a mythic and rare, it's been a decent sink.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Yep, saw a guy pull that on me, and got my ass kicked. So now it's go for the 10 or keep spamming 8's. The 8's have really been wrecking shit, though.

9 is good too cause you have a high chance of getting that dragon which you can use your mana to clear the board in your favor by pinging for 3

i'd probably skip 8 tbh unless you're in a bad position and you have no choice

(or skip a lower one if you have position so you can win at 10)

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Turn 1 -- Pelt Collector. Whoo!
Turn 2 -- Tocatli Honor Guard "Creatures entering the battlefield don't cause abilities to trigger."

then proceeds to be my longest, most boring Momir yet. opponent wouldn't let me get into a situation where Tocatli Honor Guard would die. eventually we each got 13 creatures on the board, but he ended up getting an Aggressive Mammoth (gives everything trample) and a Goring Ceratops (gives all creatures doublestrike). Game over.

final Momir's Madness record for today -- 12-4

i got some decent reward cards, particularly when i hit 5 wins, so i'll probably grind it some more tomorrow. it's nice for a change of pace.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
my new strat is stopping at 6 and just going for the flyers, it's working pretty good

Caliane

Im 1-6 in momir. I have no idea what sorcery you are pulling to get winning runs like that.

turn 3, opp gets "allies have +1/1"
I get a 2/3 with nothing on it.
Turn 4. opp gets fell spectre. flying, Opp discards a card, and whenever an opponent discards a card, they take 2 damage.

1-7

..2-7!
got lucky with 2 flyers,vs no blockers. and pulled a lucky, that (damage is doubled) to burn down before getting run over.

...and that somehow turned into a 5-1 600 gold run. that first loss vs fell spectre was the only loss.
Mostly just luck with flyers. 2 games have vine defenders. which were great, bought time, and then later let you sac to get a land draw.
one magical Meteor golem, to kill an enemy angel flyer with lifelink.

6-7 in momir now.

Last edited:

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
lol my opponent just pulled demonlord bezenlok at 6 mana

oof
I'm loving this Momir's madness event. I'm going near infinite and have collected 10+ new mythics so far. I leaned my lesson with demonlord bezenlok and at 6 mana I pull a 5 cost if I have anywhere near an advantage. I I won several games were I was completely dead the neat turn but my opponent pulled a demonlord bezenlok un necessarily. So far my general strat is to pass until I have 3 mana so that I can maintain a high casting cost meta game. I also prefer 7 cost vs 8 costs and try for the 9 cost deal 3 damage card so prefer dropping mountains to blast stuff down

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Perfect example just now. My opponent pops a nice low cost mythic when I have crap... I'm sure they are cheering

F3KnSBk.png

I'm about to concede because I have crap... Then next turn they pop demonlord bezenlok ... lol 1 more person to learn not to pop 6 cost when you have the board... I skip to next turn and win.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Caliane

This is the best advice I've seen. agree with most of it.

Favor mountains, due to several high value "pay red, do xyx" cards. notably Kazarvo, Sengir pureblood at 7.
He says skip to 4. I disagree there. General I see alot of skip 1/2. But, there are a good number of mana dorks imho. or walls. Mana dorks will give you a huge advantage. walls buy time. 2 of my wins last night had prtcullis vine. 0/3 defender.. with pay 2, tap and sac a creature with defender, draw a card. so, puts up some defense, then later during one of those turns I skip, I can sac it, to draw another land.
skip 3, 4. imho, esp if you have board control. hit 5.
Possibly skip 6 if you can. 7 is a huge number. Kazarov, meteor golem will win games. do 7 twice even. skipping 8.
If you got kaz, and have the mountains, just spam his damage ability..
do 9s.

• 2Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
If your opponent lands a 2 drop that can put pressure, you want to cast something during your next turn if you don't have board presence.

If your opponent gets unlucky and ends up with some garbage creatures, start casting later and make sure you get to at least 7.

Casting 1-2 drops just because you hope to get a manadork, or defender if not under pressure, is a waste.