MTG: Arena

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Given, I've got the shittiest version of a White Weenie deck, but it feels incredibly inconsistent. I either win big or lose big and it seems to be dictated entirely by RNG.

I definitely tend to struggle more against control-heavy decks.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Those epic games like I posted earlier are typically followed by bullshit games like this, WTF? Half my land is in my hand...

Capture.PNG

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It seems odd that an algorithm could not have been written that would allow for better land distribution within a deck. It is the one strength of having a game on a computer. You could still have plenty of random on the shuffle but not have games where either a player cannot play due to mana shortage or cannot play due to a lack of spells. Why not evenly distribute the process out within a deck. You could still have some land clumps but not 5 straight lands. Use it only on the initial deck formation in the game. Once the game starts, any shuffling sequence that takes place does so at a pure random effect.

I just think that would have worked better.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Caliane

Well obviously an algorithm could be written. The question is, would purists accept it?

Although, I do wonder, why the rules for shuffling do not address this issue in the first place.
60+ card deck. Separate lands and cards. Shuffle each separately.
split each into half, rounding down.
Shuffle land A back into cards A, Land B into cards B,
Congrats. your lands are now random within the half., but ALSO, spread out through the entire deck.
18cards/12 lands

This obviously must have come up in the years of MTG.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
It seems odd that an algorithm could not have been written that would allow for better land distribution within a deck. It is the one strength of having a game on a computer. You could still have plenty of random on the shuffle but not have games where either a player cannot play due to mana shortage or cannot play due to a lack of spells. Why not evenly distribute the process out within a deck. You could still have some land clumps but not 5 straight lands. Use it only on the initial deck formation in the game. Once the game starts, any shuffling sequence that takes place does so at a pure random effect.

I just think that would have worked better.

Yeah, that's where I'm at.

I can't imagine other people running into situation so consistently in real life. I'll go from one game where I pull 10 out of 20 mana, to the next game where I only pull 2 - 3 mana the entire game. The inconsistency is what's most baffling.

It's one thing to just get bad RNG where maybe you pull a bad order of cards. It's another thing entirely to pull nothing but land enough times where it starts a pattern.

Is the solution here to run 18 lands instead of 20? lol

Exhibit A (9 lands): Capture.PNG
Exhibit B (2 lands): Capture1.PNG

Last edited:

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Thats just magic. A shuffle should be random. Pre sorting is cheating imo. Not sure if tourneys allow it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Is the solution here to run 18 lands instead of 20?
Don't run less than 22 lands in Bo1 unless every card in your deck costs 1 and a handful of 2s (not gonna happen in any real Standard decks.) Most of your hands will have 1 land due to the hand-draw algorithm used in Bo1.

People complaining about lands in Bo1 are ridiculous. The game has already rigged your draws in your favor.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Playing BG Saprolings in the pauper tournament feels so good. 4-for-1'ing rat colony decks is justice.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Is there any reason to believe this game won't be closed down at a random point in the future, like all the previous iterations?

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
Like the duels of the planeswalkers? It's nothing like those its a platform like mtgo. Arena will be around for as long as people are throwing money at it.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Not convinced here, their last iteration of the game was solid, had all of standard, and ended up getting canned with a 2 week advance notice.

Caliane

what do you mean, "their last iteration"? Mtg: Online? Thats still around, having multiple iteration since 2002... of which always was middling success.

Arena seems to have more players in like 3 months of beta, then MTG: Online ever did. Its hard to imagine it wont be around for a while.
Now, its up to them to make it profitable of course. Reddits can often be an indication of playerbase. arena reddit with 90k users.
Poe sits at 200kish these days.

Heroes of the storm also was at 200k though... and that is being shut down.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I like how you make an argument and then shoot it down in the very next sentence.:D Its like you are debating yourself.

I think it will do just fine as long as the support is kept up. There is plenty of interest. Any online game can end at any time.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Appears to be a hack for arena. Way to many perfect hands for opponents recently.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
what do you mean, "their last iteration"? Mtg: Online? Thats still around, having multiple iteration since 2002... of which always was middling success.

No I meant magic 2015 and the other games in that series.

MTGO has been around a long time, its always been pretty clunky with poor gfx.

The magic and planeswalker series were visually far more attractive and were about standard. They all got canned.

ss_affb6d4aede05bdffcc16d17da5bc95be2f3b9e3.1920x1080.jpg

They have been making pretty games that are easy to play for a long time, and have consistently cancelled them after the initial appeal / sales started to fade.

Magic duels has nearly 24k positive steam reviews, and they announced they would no longer update it 2 weeks before the new set was supposed to go live on it.

I like how you make an argument and then shoot it down in the very next sentence.:D Its like you are debating yourself.

I think it will do just fine as long as the support is kept up. There is plenty of interest. Any online game can end at any time.

The problem is WOTC has stopped support for popular games in the past. Repeatedly. Even with real money involved.

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Those previous releases were never meant to be anything more than annual releases.

MTG Arena is a platform for future releases.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Those previous releases were never meant to be anything more than annual releases.

MTG Arena is a platform for future releases.

didn't those previous releases have dumbed down rule sets as well?

Either way, sounds like this isn't for you Punko Punko .

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
didn't those previous releases have dumbed down rule sets as well?

Either way, sounds like this isn't for you Punko Punko .
Not exactly dumbed down rules, but they did not have full control mode and they left more complex cards off the list of cards to play.