MTG: Arena

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Anyone have a Ravnica Pre-release code they want to trade for a War of the Spark code? Or any earlier one, if that's a thing.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Same.

My second round draft opponent had Liliana and then dropped a Sarkhan. In his draft deck. What the fuck.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Times my opponent has lost to not understanding how Kasmina's Transformation works on creatures with counters: 4

Times my opponent has lost to not reading Reach on Turret Ogre: 3.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Mist FAQ of the day:

Q: Is Finale of Eternity pick 1 pack 2 worth switching to even if you aren't black?

A: Yes.

Q: Is Nissa + Finale of Eternity a good draft deck?

A: Yes.

I wish it would let you go back and screenshot your decklist after you win.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
So much fun.

3 Domri, Anarch of Bolas (WAR) 191
4 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
2 God-Eternal Rhonas (WAR) 163
2 Ilharg, the Raze-Boar (WAR) 133
4 Nullhide Ferox (GRN) 138
4 Rekindling Phoenix (RIX) 111
3 Collision // Colossus (RNA) 223
4 Rootbound Crag (XLN) 256
1 Carnage Tyrant (XLN) 179
3 Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin (WAR) 137
6 Mountain (RIX) 195
3 Zhur-Taa Goblin (RNA) 215
4 Growth-Chamber Guardian (RNA) 128
9 Forest (RIX) 196
4 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
4 Gruul Spellbreaker (RNA) 179

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Domri seems fantastic and I definitely want to build around it. I was a huge fan of Gatecrash Domri.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Trying to tweak this one, but enjoying it right now:

4 Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin (WAR) 137
9 Plains (RIX) 192
4 Divine Visitation (GRN) 10
7 Mountain (RIX) 195
2 Grim Initiate (WAR) 130
2 Legion Warboss (GRN) 109
4 Gideon Blackblade (WAR) 13
2 Chance for Glory (GRN) 159
4 Heroic Reinforcements (M19) 217
4 Blackblade Reforged (DAR) 211
2 Integrity // Intervention (GRN) 227
4 Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice (GRN) 153
2 Response // Resurgence (GRN) 229
2 Lyra Dawnbringer (DAR) 26
4 Clifftop Retreat (DAR) 239
4 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
So much fun.

3 Domri, Anarch of Bolas (WAR) 191
4 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
2 God-Eternal Rhonas (WAR) 163
2 Ilharg, the Raze-Boar (WAR) 133
4 Nullhide Ferox (GRN) 138
4 Rekindling Phoenix (RIX) 111
3 Collision // Colossus (RNA) 223
4 Rootbound Crag (XLN) 256
1 Carnage Tyrant (XLN) 179
3 Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin (WAR) 137
6 Mountain (RIX) 195
3 Zhur-Taa Goblin (RNA) 215
4 Growth-Chamber Guardian (RNA) 128
9 Forest (RIX) 196
4 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
4 Gruul Spellbreaker (RNA) 179

This is a fun deck. I swapped out the growth guardians for pelt collectors and 1x phoenix 1x spellbreaker for a Domri Chaosbringer and Samut

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Pelt Collector is like the second or third best card in the deck. It is also how you get out fast Ghaltas. You can't replace it. It might even be the best card. Having 8 one-drops that aggressively promote your strategy is how you beat Control and out-midrange other Midrange decks, and how you GO BIGGER than wide decks like WW. Pelt Collector is only 'bad' against Red Deck.

Jadelights are one of the weakest cards in the deck and can definitely be replaced, there's just no really good G/u 3 drop, unlike G/r where you have the fantastically amazing Gruul Spellbreaker at 3, or Legion Warboss or maybe even Krenko (Krenko could get you some seriously fast Ghalta's but that seems greedy as fuck.)

Made it to Gold 4 and the deck gets shat upon by red, which is pretty much all I get matched up with. WTF matchmaking.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Managed to get Diamond with my red/white jank deck, that last rank was a fucking struggle - got within 1 win 3 god damn times only to then take 5 consecutive losses.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Is it possible to play this game(or card games in general) in a casual-yet-hardcore manner? Like, I want to feel like I'm making the right decisions because I know the meta and what cards the opponent will likely play. But I don't see that as possible without investing tons of hours into the game. I have no problems spending money on the game.

I'm looking for something to play between PoE leagues and this is the only thing that's feeling remotely desirable.
I also have the itch to restart MtG. I came to MtG as they were starting; you had Unlimited and could often find a black-bordered Beta in decks, and Arabian Nights had just released (although almost no stores in France had imported any). I got quickly into it big time, up to having a full base (4 of everything, except 1 for the Restricted for the base game, almost 4 of everything AN and Antiquities). Then, I dropped out when Ice Age came out (the first guy who learned that I was cashing out immediately blurted "FIRST!", given the collection I had).

I have absolutely not kept up with MtG. From 1k cards back in the mid 90s to the current 15k? How hard is it to get into the modern gameplay (using Arena. I have no interest in getting my shelves stocked with binders again)?

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
I also have the itch to restart MtG. I came to MtG as they were starting; you had Unlimited and could often find a black-bordered Beta in decks, and Arabian Nights had just released (although almost no stores in France had imported any). I got quickly into it big time, up to having a full base (4 of everything, except 1 for the Restricted for the base game, almost 4 of everything AN and Antiquities). Then, I dropped out when Ice Age came out (the first guy who learned that I was cashing out immediately blurted "FIRST!", given the collection I had).

I have absolutely not kept up with MtG. From 1k cards back in the mid 90s to the current 15k? How hard is it to get into the modern gameplay (using Arena. I have no interest in getting my shelves stocked with binders again)?
Using Arena it's real easy to get started and you can go anywhere from being a cheapass like me and spend 0 dollars and just play a lot to rank up, or you can buy a bunch of packs and have a deck quickly. There's no one right answer and if you get into the swing of it and play well you can essentially freeroll the whole thing. Even if you don't freeroll it, it's about as minimally punishing for shitters as any online TCG I've seen.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>

I prefer paper magic a lot to online, but the fact that digital collections are insanely easy to manage is a huge bonus for online.

Arena entry barrier is very low, even if you want to play the competitive decks.

• 2Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
this game would be so much better if they didn't deck match in traditional constructed event and traditional constructed ranked.

Anyone who says they don't is a complete fucking retard

• 2Like

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think it goes further than that, lol - I refuse to believe that 95% of the population of this game on Constructed Ranked play Red Mono there's just no fucking way.