MTG: Arena

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Anyone that actually plays Risk Factor probably doesn't know how to read and that's why they put that garbage into their deck.
I think Risk Factor was a pretty good card right up until they printed Narset. Now it's traaaaaaaaaash.

Sterling

El Presidente
I don't think it was ever very good. You'd see it a lot in the lower ranks, but non of the red decks in Diamond/Mythic ever ran it. Punisher mechanic cards that give your opponent options are very rarely good.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I don't think it was ever very good. You'd see it a lot in the lower ranks, but non of the red decks in Diamond/Mythic ever ran it. Punisher mechanic cards that give your opponent options are very rarely good.

I never base deck tech on MTGA, it was played in paper often.

Sterling

El Presidente
I never base deck tech on MTGA, it was played in paper often.
Sure and looking at paper results seem to show that versions without it seem to have been doing better in major events than versions with it on the whole, but that's not analytical at all. Relatively small samples, no underlying data and all that, and you'd have to break down how many of each version were played to what sort of average win rates and all that and I doubt that data is readily available. Still doesn't change the fact that giving your opponent the choice generally makes the card weaker than either option would be on their own, often by substantial margins if the choices are significantly different.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Sure and looking at paper results seem to show that versions without it seem to have been doing better in major events than versions with it on the whole, but that's not analytical at all. Relatively small samples, no underlying data and all that, and you'd have to break down how many of each version were played to what sort of average win rates and all that and I doubt that data is readily available. Still doesn't change the fact that giving your opponent the choice generally makes the card weaker than either option would be on their own, often by substantial margins if the choices are significantly different.

In a way it's kind of a "win more" card. By the point where either option provides a significant advantage, the caster was probably already winning. The only time you ever put the opponent in a position where they have to pick an option that stings is when they're already against the wall.

yeahthatisneathuh

Trakanon Raider
err.. the order you do them in can have profound effects on your winrate. Activating kasmina's -2 before teferi, time reveler's -3 might lose you a key card you have to loot away now. Or, choosing not to use Davriel for a turn because you think your opponent sandbagged an extra land.
There's hardly any planeswalker in this set, that is good enough to see play, that you should just be activating automatically without a moment to consider the line you are taking. There can even be borderline scenarios where you don't activate an 'all upside' ability to save their loyalty because you have extensive proliferate effects, and don't want it dropping in range of a burn spell to remove it. I'm splitting hairs on that one, you'd still likely just activate it, but things are rarely so clear cut as to be automatic decisions.

no shit. That's not what I'm referring to.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Just realized Esper Midrange has my favorite answer to God-Eternals.

Bounce them to the opponent's deck with 5-mana Teferi then swing with Thief of Sanity to steal it for yourself

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I don't think you can have more fun in MTGA than I'm having with Divine Visitation. Nothing is more fun than slamming a legion warboss and watching your new 4/4 flying angel send them into a quick concede. Well, maybe watching your Heroic Reinforced Krenko slam out 3 of them for next turn or your leonin warleader refill your life total against another shitty RDW deck but i digress.

• 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Just realized Esper Midrange has my favorite answer to God-Eternals.

Bounce them to the opponent's deck with 5-mana Teferi then swing with Thief of Sanity to steal it for yourself
Yep! Also, sometimes you just kill the god EoT, let them put it into deck, then play your thief of sanity. You'll grab it the turn before they draw it. Did that against a U/G deck that I knew had no removal in hand, and very little in deck.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
My Orhoz list got me to diamond today. First month I've only played a handful of mono red the entire ladder and I did it in just about the same amount of games as when I go turbonerd RDW. B01 scrub of course =O

Strossus

Silver Knight of the Realm
was trying to make some sort of mardu Aristocrats list, i think im going fuckin crazy, i can't seem to get anything going

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My Orhoz list got me to diamond today. First month I've only played a handful of mono red the entire ladder and I did it in just about the same amount of games as when I go turbonerd RDW. B01 scrub of course =O
I suck at deck creation. What list are you running? I have run an Orhoz deck with moderate success but Bo1 can be a bitch.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I suck at deck creation. What list are you running? I have run an Orhoz deck with moderate success but Bo1 can be a bitch.

This is what I ended up finalizing.

I'd say my worst match up were variations of big gruul if I didn't hit all of my removal or history's early.

Control match ups were probably 50/50 purely based on whoever had the best opener.

Pretty much any small creature board loses and I think I had over a 70% win rate against red.

Don't be afraid to mulligan. If I didn't have an opener that could put something down turn 2/3/4 I would usually do so.

4 Gideon Blackblade (WAR) 13
3 Sorin, Vengeful Bloodlord (WAR) 217
1 Liliana, Dreadhorde General (WAR) 97
4 Cruel Celebrant (WAR) 188
4 Tithe Taker (RNA) 27
4 Knight of Grace (DAR) 23
4 Knight of Malice (DAR) 97
2 Midnight Reaper (GRN) 77
4 History of Benalia (DAR) 21
1 Cast Down (DAR) 81
4 Mortify (RNA) 192
2 Vraska's Contempt (XLN) 129
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
4 Isolated Chapel (DAR) 241
9 Plains (XLN) 261
6 Swamp (XLN) 269

If I were going to bo3 then I'd probably sideboard similar to this.

2 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper (RNA) 186
2 Kaya's Wrath (RNA) 187
1 Liliana, Dreadhorde General (WAR) 97
1 Cry of the Carnarium (RNA) 70
2 Vraska's Contempt (XLN) 129
3 Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage (WAR) 83
4 Duress (M19) 94

I've also been messing with a sacrifice edition with all afterlife creatures/cruel celebrant/sorin/bontu that is pretty fun.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Got my compensation email. Spent my $20 Ebay coupon on a playset of Glacial Fortress.

unknown.png

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
That’s kind of garbage they put such a small window on that gift voucher. I still haven’t received the code yet.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Round 1 Pairings are Live! You have 72 Hours to play a Best of 3 match and report your results. Remember to include 2-1 2-0 etc. Also if you are Dropping you must let me know before I pair the next round. There is no elimination in swiss you play five rounds.

• 1Like