MTG thread

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Draft to get cards, its the smart way.
If you enjoy drafting, sure. It's really not an efficient way to acquire constructed staples though. Neither is opening boxes. Buying your sets tends to be much more affordable, especially if you can make yourself wait a month or so. You might miss one or two spike cards that jump, but everything else will fall.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
If you are good at draft (like, splitting 1st in 8mans 80% of the time), and have an LGS that regularly fires drafts. Then, drafting and smart trading is the most efficient way to build up value. That said, it's a significant time investment, and if you have a good job, then simply buying singles is more 'cost effective' for some. Buying boosters/boxes is rarely a good idea past the first box to get the commons/uncommons you might need.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Picking up a bit on the conversation earlier. I honestly think Soulfire Grandmaster and Monastery Mentor are actually way overpriced. I expect them to both see play, but not as much as people are predicting. In any kind of aggro deck, Seeker of the Way is better than Soulfire Grandmaster, and Monastery Mentor has some serious competition in the form of Goblin Rabblemaster which doesn't require extra cards to take over the game. Personally, I think Torrent Elemental and Shaman of the Great Hunt are steals at their current price and will see quite a bit of play. Shaman of the Great Hunt just threatens to take over games, even if all you're doing is drawing cards with him, and Torrent Elemental solves a lot of issues that Sidisi Whip has in midrange matches as well as against control.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Imo, the only 'under valued' card is the black delve legend. Tasigur. the Golden Fang. Japanese were buying out starcity 40 at a time till they raised it another $1. The dude is basically a 4/5 for 1 or 2 mana in the right shell (t1: thoughtseize t2: satyr wayfinder, t3 Tasigur for 2 mana.) that also basically draws you a card for 4 mana repeatedly. If you are delving things you don't want, and leaving a land or two as the others, your opponent ends up giving you the card you want. Plus, it fuels more delve shenanigans later.

He's very interesting, and since we're already on that path with sultai reanimator decks, does not seem far fetched to have a deck that synergizes very well with him.

Other then that, 80% cards are all overvalued at release. Soulfire and Monastery Mentor are both going to drop to like $15-20 range about a month after release. Everyone knows this, but people need their playsets early on so the price is inflated. It's still cheaper to buy singles at these prices then opening boxes hoping to hit the cards you need. Trust me, I'm doing pre-sales on ebay (pinnaclegamestore is my user ID if anyone is interested) and the profit margins are pretty low. If I sell every card in the set at presale prices, including commons, I'm clearing maybe 10-15% after ebay fees versus the wholesale cost of a box (which is now almost $80 from the cheapest distributor, prices went up for new year).

If I don't sell more of the common/uncommon playsets, I end up breaking even or losing money just selling the rares and mythics. Hoping to get lucky with some foils, and that fetches end up being 3 per box rather then 1.5, but that is unlikely.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I think Tasigur has a lot of potential, and it appears that most of the pros are really bullish on him too. He's the right P/T to be really strong even in modern.

Personally, I LOVE the new 2/1 white uncommon, Mardu Woe-Reaper. It's cheap, efficient and powerful graveyard hate for warrior tribal right when it is needed. I think it will be very strong vs. Whip decks.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Imo, the only 'under valued' card is the black delve legend. Tasigur. the Golden Fang. Japanese were buying out starcity 40 at a time till they raised it another $1. The dude is basically a 4/5 for 1 or 2 mana in the right shell (t1: thoughtseize t2: satyr wayfinder, t3 Tasigur for 2 mana.) that also basically draws you a card for 4 mana repeatedly. If you are delving things you don't want, and leaving a land or two as the others, your opponent ends up giving you the card you want. Plus, it fuels more delve shenanigans later.

He's very interesting, and since we're already on that path with sultai reanimator decks, does not seem far fetched to have a deck that synergizes very well with him.

Other then that, 80% cards are all overvalued at release. Soulfire and Monastery Mentor are both going to drop to like $15-20 range about a month after release. Everyone knows this, but people need their playsets early on so the price is inflated. It's still cheaper to buy singles at these prices then opening boxes hoping to hit the cards you need. Trust me, I'm doing pre-sales on ebay (pinnaclegamestore is my user ID if anyone is interested) and the profit margins are pretty low. If I sell every card in the set at presale prices, including commons, I'm clearing maybe 10-15% after ebay fees versus the wholesale cost of a box (which is now almost $80 from the cheapest distributor, prices went up for new year).

If I don't sell more of the common/uncommon playsets, I end up breaking even or losing money just selling the rares and mythics. Hoping to get lucky with some foils, and that fetches end up being 3 per box rather then 1.5, but that is unlikely.
The problem with the legend is that Delve is parasitic. You used your graveyard to cast Treasure Cruise, you don't have one anymore to cast this.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
The problem with the legend is that Delve is parasitic. You used your graveyard to cast Treasure Cruise, you don't have one anymore to cast this.
Not that parasitic, as we've seen. It's plenty easy to run 4 -6 delve cards.

Delve is incredibly strong because it basically turns every spell you cast into a 1 mana rebate on something else powerful. It's affinity for dredge, which is why it is so damn busted.

Xalara

Golden Squire
When I was speaking of the white mythics being overpriced I was referring to the fact that I don't think they will see as much play as people think they will. Of course preorder prices are high, they almost always are.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
There's been regular decks, without any attempt to enable delve, run 6+ delve cards with no real issues (4 treasure cruise and 2 digs, for example). Granted, dig is instant and often cast for like 4-5 mana even, but still.
Tasigar also enables future delve as he generates card advantage for you. Combined with Sidisi, satyr wayfinder, etc.. you could support 3-4 murderous cut, 3 Tasigar, and a few treasure cruise all in the same deck. Whether the power gained is worth it is yet to be seen, but I think there's a deck out there that will show us it is something to consider.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Tasigur is either going to be a format staple or a complete dud. I don't think he's going to have a lot of middle ground.

I'm leaning towards powerful for standard. It's rare that creatures provide you a consistent source of card advantage. The best ones, like Bob and Courser, do it more or less for free. Tasigur isn't quite like that, but the mechanics of how he nets you more cards make it likely to be a bit stronger than a random draw. If he catches on in standard, someone will try him in modern as well.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Grand Prix Omaha tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see what the third of the room that isn't Pod/Delver is playing.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I figure there's a banned list next month, misewell jam Ascendancy/Cruise/Dig/Probe while they're guaranteed to be legal
biggrin.png

The most enjoyable part of the Ascendancy decks is seeing the various random transformational sideboards they use.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's a dud. It's too slow and too mana intensive.
If you are ignoring his activated ability in a Sidisi build he's neither slow or mana intensive. But does a Whip deck like that even want the quick 4/5 at the cost of its graveyard? I've read some discussion of him in UB control as a sideboard option after they board out removal but I'm skeptical about that too. At least he's an interesting card to theorycraft.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
He certainly does enough stuff to merit consideration. Even if he doesn't end up making the cut in constructed he'll still be one of those cards to keep in mind for a different Standard. I'm pretty surprised how much support Delve has in this new expansion. It's very possible that by the time Khans is rotating out we'll be completely sick of those strategies.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Tasigur is a midrange creature, through and through. That 5th point of toughness really matters (blocks Rhino and Doomwake), and he's easy to hit the board for cheap.

Could easily be a dud, but he's my pick for potential break out rare. He'll still cost virtually nothing because lolmythics, but Courser was $3 preorder too for a time.

Xalara

Golden Squire
My pick is Shaman of the Great Hunt. The guy is currently $4-$6 but I can see him easily going up to $15. With the addition of Flamewake Phoenix and this guy you can make a G/R deck where virtually every creature is attacking for damage in some form the turn it comes into play. Plus, even if Shaman of the Great Hunt just has to sit there, that is still at least one card a turn through his activated ability.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm still sad/annoyed that there's finally a martial arts deck theme you can do now and it's years late and dollars high for me to enjoy it. And I can't go draft because I would just try and draft for it every time :p

Taloo_sl

shitlord
LGS is canceling the prerelease to work on expanding the store prior to their PPTQ. Backwards as fuck in my mind but whatever.