MTG thread

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Its just bullshit tedium.

Mtg would be far better if it went the way of esports and everything was done on computers. Hex is a good example of what the game needs to evolve to, because not only do you avoid tedium of above examples.....but in that you can have cards that dynamically change your deck (or your opponents)in a permanent way that you can never achieve with physical cards held by neckbeards who show up with a head full of glitter and the stink to go with it.

A good example is a race called Vennen in Hex (these drider like things from DnD) worship some spider god and all of their cards put spider eggs in your deck that when you draw them, puts creatures in play for them. Sleeving issues would prevent this. Or cards that can create a completely random unique hero when you play them, this would be an impossibility in mtg.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
But, then you get people complaining about RNG deciding things. I'm not familiar with the mechanics of Hex specifically, but it's the #1 thing bitched about in Hearthstone.

There is a little bit different skillset between mtgo and paper magic, but most still prefer paper. Being online has it's own set of problems, such as misclicks that are even more annoying then any of the previous examples, imo. The game isn't perfect, but most of the annoyances are a necessary evil. The tarmo example we've been using, if your opponent is forced to answer the question based on the info he knows and he's wrong.. that could cause an even bigger problem of trying to prove if he knowingly misled you or not. Maybe it was 4/5 last turn, but a new card type hit your GY that he didn't notice and didn't factor in, so he answers 4/5 and you attack based on his answer. But, while figuring out combat math the GYs are double checked, realize it's 5/6 and now the attack/blocks are bad.
Having the rules basically say 'figure it out for yourself' is the fairest way to handle those situations with a blanket ruling. Now, again, most people aren't that much of an asshole to not help figure it out, but can't blame the rules of magic for the few who are.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
It's not just Tarmogoyf. If at any point in the game, with any creature in the game, you ask your opponent "hey, what's the body on that dude" he can look at you and shrug his shoulders. I don't think that does anything positive for the game.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
That's not completely true. A card in play's text is free information (unless there is a change between it and it's oracle text). If there are multiple things effecting it's P/T, then it's technically derived information, but each of the effects are free information (if it's been pumped by a combat trick, for example) you just have to add them up yourself then. For example, if you ask 'what is it's base P/T and is anything currently effecting it?' they have to answer that. (edit: Permanents in play effecting it.. like how much an enchantment on it adds. There's some loopholes with things like prowess that don't have to be announced until it has an effect on something)
I guess I just don't see a situation where you'd be unsure of a creature's P/T that you'd want to completely trust that your opponent knows the correct answer. Anytime I'm unsure, I double check their math anyways. In a competitive setting, that is, since that's the only time this rule even comes up.
It sounds like you had a bad experience with a jackass, but I don't think that's the fault of the rule itself.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I don't like that prowess rule either for very much the same reason. It's a trigger that you do not need to announce or otherwise draw attention to its existence until it is relevant. Prowess is also a keyword that is going to be showing up in every set making it additionally cumbersome.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Yea, I sort of agree there, but it's not a big deal to me either way. I think it was actually changed at some point after the mechanic came out. But, after I learned how it worked, I had fun a couple times reverse rule lawyering a neckbeard with it. Playing against a jackass who blocked badly cause he thought he 'got me' cause I didn't announce it (I did it on purpose), then he calls a judge who let him know he was wrong.

It was ruled that way to be less 'rules lawyer-y' basically. Playing a spell, going to attack step, then announcing prowess was 'missing it' previously, which was even more annoying.

edit: It's actually very much like online in that regard. It's not a 'may' trigger exactly, so doing it this way speeds things up. If the creature never attacks/blocks, there's no need to calculate the P/T that turn then. That's why I didn't mind it once I knew how it worked specifically. It was annoying the first time I had to find out it worked that, though.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Having the rules basically say 'figure it out for yourself' is the fairest way to handle those situations with a blanket ruling. Now, again, most people aren't that much of an asshole to not help figure it out, but can't blame the rules of magic for the few who are.
this is why every aspiring pro player should be an asshole, there is absolutely nothing in the rules to encourage any form of fair play

its why i like playing outside my LGS

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
Eternal Masters announced, revealing Force of Will and Wasteland reprints. Interdasting.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Chronicles 2, 3, and 4 have never been for me given their inflated MSRPs but they are damned popular products and overall it's a very good move on the part of Wizards. It's just a shame that optimal mana bases in Legacy are so prohibitively expensive. The amount of cool B and C tier decks that format has just goes onforever.

Will definitely draft it at least once. MM2 was definitely a good time in limited.

edit - Force of Will at Mythic rarity is kinda shitty. That was a U2 in Alliances.

Simas_sl

shitlord
Duals gonna get that much more expensive.

What do you guys think the other mythics will be? Jace almost certainly right? Goyf again? Lili?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
There very well could be rarities above mythic in this set. The online only Vintage Masters had Moxes and shit at above Mythic and the last couple Standard sets have had expeditions.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I suspect they'll just go the foil in every pack route.

Anything P3K is fair game, so I'd stay away from Recruiter, Seal, Ravages, etc. until we see a spoiler. Any of them are reasonable reprints. This is being aimed as much at EDH players as it is eternal enthusiasts.

I expect this to explain some of the judge foil choices as well, such as Ravages, Shardless Agent, Mana Drain, and Rishadan Port. Also Stoneforge Mystic as a GP foil.

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
This is good news, but if they are going to limit the print run as much as mm1/2 this really isn't going to help prices much in the long run. Also as already stated duals prices are going to jump up.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
some people keep expecting this all out reprint of legacy staples, to make it more accessible

killing the format through ruining prices isn't going to happen, magic is an expensive game, its also why the game has long term appeal

market prices are fine as they are

C'mon Kamigawa dragon cycle reprinted again at Mythic! Still need that playset of Keigas.
i opened 8 boxes of MM1, i can help you out

how many playsets u need bro

This is good news, but if they are going to limit the print run as much as mm1/2 this really isn't going to help prices much in the long run. Also as already stated duals prices are going to jump up.
pretty sure it will be the MM15 model, aka less boosters for the same price at best

its not going to do squat besides give people 1 or 2 cards for a playset for a deck of which they own half for outside that playset of FoWs

guess goyf is going up, whatever happens
wink.png

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was trying to remember why we never saw a degenerate cascade based deck. After checking gatherer, it's all clear now; 90 % of the cards with cascade on them were awful.