MTG thread

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm just sad that we finally get a setting that is INTENTIONALLY full of ropey-flesh/muscle monsters, and no Ron Spencer art!

The man needs more cards to sign, there's only like 15 unsigned copies of his artwork left in the world.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Reserved list reprints aren't happening, there is no point. Wizards does not want people to play the older formats, they want you to play limited, standard and modern at best.

Dual lands and other reserved list staples aren't remotely close to reaching their price ceiling.

Look at the price of P9, and consider people still play Vintage. Legacy's population can shrink a whole lot while the cards prices grow towards vintage prices.

The reserved list is a great way to ensure the core cards of the format get more expensive, keeping most people out of legacy and vintage. Somehow that seems exactly what wizards would like, based on their events. There are few people I know that play both legacy and standard, as the FNM and bigger events all overlap.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
My new Modern FNM deck, because life finds a way:
Artifacts: 4
4 Shrine of Burning Rage
Creatures: 8
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
4 Emrakul, the Promised End
Enchantments: 4
4 Seal of Flame
Instants: 8
4 Fiery Temper
4 Tarfire
Planeswalkers: 6
2 Nahiri, the Harbinger
4 Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded
Sorceries: 8
4 Faithless Looting
4 Giant's Ire
Lands: 22
4 Arid Mesa
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Mountain
2 Sacred Foundry
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills

GONNA ROCK ME SOME 0-4S

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
i like the tarfire emrakul combo

very strong tech
smile.png

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Somehow that seems exactly what wizards would like, based on their events.
I don't think Wizardswantsto keep people out of the older formats but there isn't really much of a way of getting people in to them that doesn't break a two-decades long promise that people have made a great many financial decisions regarding. Really, it's fine the direction they have chosen to go. I just think that Legacy could be a really cool format if it was more mainstream.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I agree but Modern has that spot in their marketing.

Watch that game though, its a gem. Best I've seen in a long time
smile.png

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Finally get the Legendary Werewolf... and it's meh as hell. I mean, it will completely one-sidedly destroy limited games, but it does basically nothing for the casual tribal enthusiasts (EDH and otherwise) that were clamoring for it. No synergy, no boost to the playstyle, just another random dude.

It's not even worth playing as commander for a "Fight"-Themed EDH decks, since the Naya Beast Generals get Contested Cliffs for vastly superior fighting.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
It should have made all non-human werewolves fight when it flips. Make it a bonfire you have to work at.

Simas_sl

shitlord
I'm always surprised how much flavor they manage to fit into mechanics. Emrakrul comes down and your opponent goes temporarily insane, suiciding creatures into Emrakrul, using their own kill spells on their creatures, failing to find, etc. Then they snap out of it, and have a chance to pick up the pieces. But it may already be too late.

Obviously, we won't be able to make informed guesses until the rest of the set is spoiled, but I wouldn't be surprised if Emrakrul sees play in standard. Seems like it'd be a turn 7 ish play in a Rites, Delerium, or Ramp deck. It's clearly meant to go with Nahiri so maybe there's a Nahiri deck for it too, though not getting the cast trigger sucks. With the Eldrazi wish card they just spoiled I expect there will be more cards that work with the Eldrazi, and due to the collection numbers there should be at least 5 more colorless non-artifact cards.

The legendary werewolf is a huge disappointment. It doesn't seem like it'll be standard playable (compare it to Avacyn, Dankdwellers, etc.) or EDH playable.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm surprised to find the werewolf is so bad since they made the Gitrog a playable 2 color legend.

Also, lol that Legacy is too hard.

Legacy isn't a mainstream format because you can't get the cards to make it hit a critical mass of players. I've been playing long enough to know that if you had FoWs and LEDs just falling out of the sky, there would soon be 14 year olds at FNM winning games with Storm.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Why you gotta be hating on kids? Jim Ward from TSR used to have an article in Scrye Magazine where he complained about losing to 13 year olds at the weekly Magic tournament at the store he went to. He was not a good player and the kids he was losing to were putting inwaymore time than he was.

I'm just full of 20 year old references.