MTG thread

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
A few of us are teasing Heylel over a discussion we had months ago.

Just a bit of shitposting between comrades.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Yeah no salt over it here. I'm not particularly bothered by the change. The Sunday events have kinda sucked.

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
For me the IQ thing is the most crushing. I only get to play on weekend and my local stores weekend events are almost exclusively IQs and I can't see a world where they try and get Super IQs with our attendance averages.

Last edited:

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
IQs around here practically never fired, and when they did they were always a loss for the store. We have so many PPTQs that they just don't matter.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The decision by wizards to disallow IQ+PPTQ combo tourneys helped kill the IQ for any middling turnout area.

Ratina

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I am really at a loss on what to do. Casual Magic is more or less dead for my play group, too many good board games to play instead. So I have been playing Legacy on and off for like 6 years now, upstate NY has a decent competitive scene, tried to hit Opens and GP's as they came by, theirs 2 weekly local games and 1k's every 2 months or so. I was even trying to get some of my play group who knew Magic into the scene (I provided the decks), and we were planing on going to the Legacy GP in Vegas next year as a group just for the experience of it. But its pulling teeth trying to get people together to play games to learn the format.

I've been playing on and of since Alpha sold out once long ago and always regretted it (I can turn these pieces of cardboard that have been in my closet for years into weed? Sign me up!!! ... my stomach still hurts thinking about it) and my current collection could be described as Amazeballs, but the idea that I could probably pay off my house if I liquidated has a lot going for it.

Fuck, i should probably just put them in a vault and forget about them for a few years.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
So why aren't you immediately paying off your house if the collection is that large.

Ratina

So why aren't you immediately paying off your house if the collection is that large.

Because what if I want to play again in 2 years? What if reserved stuff triples in price again in 2 years? Also what if the game crashes and the bottom falls out in 2 years?

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
Hey so do any of you guys ever buy nicely printed proxy cards? And if so where from? A bunch of the guys at work started playing, but I'm not too keen about keeping anything in my locker worth more then 5 bucks due to jerkbags.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Hey so do any of you guys ever buy nicely printed proxy cards? And if so where from? A bunch of the guys at work started playing, but I'm not too keen about keeping anything in my locker worth more then 5 bucks due to jerkbags.

Those are called counterfeits.

Ratina

Like, couple years left on the house or a couple decades?

Decades. I know financially the answer is obvious, but i'm not struggling to make mortgage payments and probably never will. I've always felt these cards are a game not an investment and if I did sell off then want to buy back in later I shudder to think what it would cost.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Probably about what you sold them for plus or minus 10%. I don't even really know how this is a question. If your pile of cards is actually worth what you owe on a house there's no other answer besides sell it and pay it off.

Even if you want the collection back just dump your now free mortgage payment in to rebuying crap every month if that's your bag.

Ratina

Probably about what you sold them for plus or minus 10%. I don't even really know how this is a question. If your pile of cards is actually worth what you owe on a house there's no other answer besides sell it and pay it off.

Even if you want the collection back just dump your now free mortgage payment in to rebuying crap every month if that's your bag.

Meh, if you think +/- 10% in 2 years you haven't been paying attention.

tabbyPrice.PNG

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I don't buy pre-made proxies, since that's just enabling people trying to sell counterfeits. When I need proxies, I just make a PDF of card images, add PROXY in red where the set symbol should be, then print them out on a sticker-sheet at FedEx and sticker them to some basic lands.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider

Magic has beaten the stock market pretty consistently for like a decade. I know that sounds dumb, but selling and rebuying is extremely costly.

I'm staring at an EDH deck with a TCG mid of $7k sitting next to my morning coffee. I really don't want to think about trying to recover that if I had to sell it for an emergency. I'd just be done with the game at that point. My cards have earned me about as much notional value as my house the last few years. Lotus alone is up 25% in 12 months.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Meh, if you think +/- 10% in 2 years you haven't been paying attention.

Got a NM Tabernacle at GenCon 2015 for a bunch of dumb judge foils that have tanked hard. Moving most of my value into reserved stuff has been a huge windfall.

Ratina

I picked up my Beta power about 8 years ago, I can't even find a chart that goes back that far.

JetPrice.PNG

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I might try to black border mine in the next year. Nearly did the Lotus at GP Atlanta but backed off when they cut $200 out of my trade ins. As my time for the game narrows, I end up playing more vintage and old school than anything else anyway.

Were you at E Weekend by chance? Saw some really killer sets of power there, one of em might have been yours.

Ratina

I wanted to go to EW (and EE) for old school and Legacy but didn't make it. It sucks when your friends aren't into it enough to do roadtrips