MTG thread

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I must draft this set until I get Resto+Thragtusk. Added sweetness if Unburial Rites and Angel of Serenity are in.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
It still won't be as ridiculous as 3xKTK drafts. That also had uncommon tri-lands and the gain 1 life on the duals made a huge difference.

Then again, there will probably be way more overpowered multcolored cards in this, so who knows. I'm a huge fan of limited formats where 4-5 color decks are possible; they also generally tend to be my strongest limited formats, so I might have to actually play some fucking magic for the first time in a long time.

If I play on MTGO I'll post up some galleries of my most bonkers drafts like I did in KTK.

KTK was enemy tri's, allied fetches and refuges. MM3 is allied tri's, enemy fetches and guildgates. It's going to be early pick color fixing like KTK, can't wait.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Making Kibler preview Bonfire of the Damned is pretty savage, WotC. Frank Karsten getting Stony Silence is pretty lulzy, too.

Last edited:

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Would still love another Goyf print, but that's probably hoping for too much.

The real question now is how much of a print run is this going to see. If it's large enough we could see enemy fetches crater pretty hard as people will just crack these boxes forever if they can until tarns are 30$.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This set is like Sam Stoddard asked "What if we reprint ALL the things?"

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Goyf confirmed this morning, along with Blood Moon and Cavern of Souls.

Wonder how many pre-order boxes at ~180-200$ are getting canceled.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
If the theories that this print run is huge are to be believed (stores getting asked how much they want, rather than told their allocation etc) then yea enemy fetches are going to rock bottom. Tarn will stay at 20-30$ because u/r but the rest should fall to ally fetch levels, or real close to it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Daamn, they nailed the mythics this time. Past in flames/obzedat being the 'junk' mythics is way better then the previous MM sets.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
This set is like Sam Stoddard asked "What if we reprint ALL the things?"
I think their sales have been lagging and something similar was actually said. i.e. 'lets just make it full of value and print a ton of it'.

Sterling

El Presidente
Friend of mine just won GP Jersey. Also between the 2 GPs there were 15 Mardu Vehicle/4c Saheli, with 1 Jund Energy Aggro deck rounding out the top8s.

Sterling

El Presidente
Grats to him.

This standard sucks balls and all my friends stopped playing.
Yeah it's really not diverse at all. There's a reasonable chance at another round of bannings this week. I'd guess either nothing gets banned or one of the Saheli/Cat combo pieces and either Gideon or Scavenger. Only problem with that is if it ends up being all G/B mirrors, and it all stems from the same issue I've had with standard in the last couple of years in general in that the mana tends to be good enough that people just jam like 4 or more of the best 10 cards in the format into every deck so they all sort of look the same even before the format gets "solved".

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I mean, the devs finally succeeded in pruning all the bits of the game they say "ruin Magic."

Except it turns out the Magic that's produced without those bits? Pretty bad.

But I wouldn't let that take away from your friend's win. Anyone winning a GP put in a lot of work (and probably exhausted their luck stores for a while as well!), and deserves respect. While this standard isn't particularly diverse, the mirror matches are often brutal on incorrect play-line choices.

It's also kind of hard to think about format diversity without considering the context of sheer card numbers. Magic sets are just smaller than they used to be. It's easier to have the nutty diversity of kamigawa and original ravnica when their cardpools were between 1.5x and 2x as large. The % of competitively useless cards in a given set has remained pretty consistent, but it's now out of a much smaller pool.

They definitely need to spend less FFL testing time on "Well, do theme decks using the set's new mechanics function?" and more time on seeing whether the mana bases are too powerful, and whether these "Marquee" cards can be pushed to broken (which they have been, or close to it. Sell them packs-err, I mean READ DAT STORYLINE).

Magic's so much more enjoyable when the power-level is spread out across the set. This trend towards concentration of power has been a downhill slide since they introduced Mythic Rarity (with Khans of Tarkir being a very fun outlier, where the power was pretty evenly spread across the set).

My "Eve of the Announcement" Ban Prediction: Felidar Guardian ban, since StandardTwin constrains deck-building heavily for the next 1.75 years, even if it has moments where it's not actually great.

And that's where I'd stop, but judging by their last ban discussion, they'll also ban something from Mardu and B/G, so let's guess Heart of Kiran and Snake for maximum playerbase rioting.

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
I stopped playing because there's been no good white weenie since Theros rotated. A recent deck even had a vanilla 2/1 in it to make up numbers. I like synergy and they even fucked up allies by not having enough of them.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I mean, the devs finally succeeded in pruning all the bits of the game they say "ruin Magic."

Except it turns out the Magic that's produced without those bits? Pretty bad.

But I wouldn't let that take away from your friend's win. Anyone winning a GP put in a lot of work (and probably exhausted their luck stores for a while as well!), and deserves respect. While this standard isn't particularly diverse, the mirror matches are often brutal on incorrect play-line choices.

It's also kind of hard to think about format diversity without considering the context of sheer card numbers. Magic sets are just smaller than they used to be. It's easier to have the nutty diversity of kamigawa and original ravnica when their cardpools were between 1.5x and 2x as large. The % of competitively useless cards in a given set has remained pretty consistent, but it's now out of a much smaller pool.

They definitely need to spend less FFL testing time on "Well, do theme decks using the set's new mechanics function?" and more time on seeing whether the mana bases are too powerful, and whether these "Marquee" cards can be pushed to broken (which they have been, or close to it. Sell them packs-err, I mean READ DAT STORYLINE).

Magic's so much more enjoyable when the power-level is spread out across the set. This trend towards concentration of power has been a downhill slide since they introduced Mythic Rarity (with Khans of Tarkir being a very fun outlier, where the power was pretty evenly spread across the set).

My "Eve of the Announcement" Ban Prediction: Felidar Guardian ban, since StandardTwin constrains deck-building heavily for the next 1.75 years, even if it has moments where it's not actually great.

And that's where I'd stop, but judging by their last ban discussion, they'll also ban something from Mardu and B/G, so let's guess Heart of Kiran and Snake for maximum playerbase rioting.

They need to just fire their entire FFL and hire people that are more interested in magic than their current "kitchen table" level or whatever. There's just no excuse for them to miss the Felidar combo, because what the fuck are they even testing if they don't catch that? I mean, I know exactly how it got missed: Felidar was filed under draft chaff or whatever their moniker for it is, and literally no one used it ever because it was supposed to be a forgettable draft filler card. It then took what, ~5 minutes for some random B-tier pro on Twitter after the spoiler was out to be all "uhhh guys, this is splinter twin, you know that right?"

I mean just look at these decks the FFL was testing: Future Future League: Failures and Fixes

I could build a better G/B delirium deck in a weekend of fucking around, and I'm by no means a pro. If this is the final product of what your current testing league is producing, it's time to scrap the whole thing and start over, because they clearly aren't up to snuff.