MTG thread

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Pretty sure it's a legend in every pack, that's the gimmick.

I actually love this set. It's hitting all the right nostalgia buttons for me. I also think some cards are deceptively powerful, just not the ones you'd expect based on the names. I have a feeling it will end up being a much more impactful set than people are giving it credit for. Magic players are notoriously bad at evaluating cards before playing them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Pretty sure it's a legend in every pack, that's the gimmick.

I actually love this set. It's hitting all the right nostalgia buttons for me. I also think some cards are deceptively powerful, just not the ones you'd expect based on the names. I have a feeling it will end up being a much more impactful set than people are giving it credit for. Magic players are notoriously bad at evaluating cards before playing them.
Wtf is this Umezawa's Jitte shit? Garbage equipment!

Jace is terrible, nobody would play him over the previous version!

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
There's some sweet cards in it like the phyrexian saga and karn, but its just so disappointing to see cards like Weatherlight be such garbage heaps.

The legendary theme doesn't help either. Makes the entire set feel like a commander release that just happens to be standard legal, but I'm sure all those kids are creaming their pants over jhoira and whatever else.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Idk man. I think the legendary theme is clouding people's ability to evaluate stuff or they arent thinking of everything as a whole. Weatherlight isnt as good as smugglers copter, but a 4/5 flyer for 4 that impulses when it hits? Its not the worst.. prolly too slow for constructed, but if the format slows down its playable.
The wizard bolt and counterspell, the 2 mana merfolk wizard with flash, a couple of the weatherlight crew, phyrexian scriptures, karn, the white o-ring with flash for tapped creatures, etc.. theres a good amount of playable staples and then lots of 'might get there' stuff. Plus, the theme and lore is out of the park.
Im really digging the set so far. I think the power level is def higher then the Ixalan block, probably higher then amonkhet too. Which, btw, remember very few people thought scarab god was even the best of the 3 gods before the set came out, much less one of the best cards on the set, lol.

• 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Oh, and ithink they figure itll sell plenty well without masterpieces and they will put those in sets they need to pump sales on more then anything :-D

• 1Like

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
*shrug* I'm enjoying the legendary theme too. Rationally I know that legendary is a restriction and not a perk, but Legends is still the most exciting set ever for me and I can't help enjoying them.

Weatherlight is pretty strong in the right shell. 4/5 flyer is a pretty big wall, and search 5 for a card that can hit any walker or artifact is powerful. It's a more flexible version of Tezz, AoB's + ability. Comparing it to a super cheap vehicle that got banned doesn't seem right. Hell, I'd probably try it at least once in Shops for funsies.

I'm not really sure what a more satisfying version of Dominaria would be. They're scratching the nostalgia itch, it's got some cards with vintage potential, will obviously hit modern, and looks to be an interesting standard.

• 1Like

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Wtf is this Umezawa's Jitte shit? Garbage equipment!

Jace is terrible, nobody would play him over the previous version!

Liliana of the Veil was widely considered garbage because both players discarded. People apparently forgot how to break symmetrical effects. That's the kind of shit that happens when you let kids play without Armageddon for too long.

• 2Worf

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I am going to lose so many games trying to make Geddon work in standard again.

I'm currently expecting Masterpieces in Core to push sales.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I'm currently expecting Masterpieces in Core to push sales.
Yep! That's my thoughts, too. Especially if you think about when they realized they were over doing it on the masterpieces, they couldn't undo the amonkhet ones by that point, and core would have been getting close to finalized. Guarantee someone was like 'well, if we bring back core sets, how do we make them special enough to sell as well as other sets?' and it all lines up pretty well. Heck, if they had originally planned them for Ixalan/Dominaria, but pulled them out afterwards, they can probably use the same ones and borders since Core is so generic.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
They are idiots for not having new art + old border masterpieces available in Dominara

• 2Solidarity

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
"Everything is bloody hexproof" angel feels Linvala-y. Probably a good toolbox deck option.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Limited looks like bomb city in this. New loxodon warhammer is gonna be a fucking nightmare.

• 1Solidarity

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
This set's power level keeps looking higher and higher. While I'm certainly evaluating some cards in a 'blue sky' scenario, there's enough 'eh.. that COULD be broken if the right shell is there' that at least a few of them will likely work out. Wizard tribal is starting to look pretty damn strong, and might be OP in modern with things like snapcaster. It's also just about the most 'me' kind of deck that I've ever seen. Always been an izzet and aggro-control fan. Lightning bolts and counterspells is my favorite kind of deck. If all their creatures also had flash, it'd replace faeries as my all time favorite deck to play.

• 1Like

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Ding!

mtg damping.PNG

• 1Trump

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Now you just have to find some way to Donate a Mana Reflection to your opponent.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Pretty surprised its at uncommon. Should be interesting to see how effective it is in modern as tron/storm hate.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
no idea who that is, but that card is cool. Could be sick if the meta shakes out for a main deck negate to be playable.
He's "That One Guy Who Plays Mono-Blue Tron Always." And somehow manages to consistantly cut/5-0 events with it regardless of how the metagame flows.

• 1Worf