MTG thread

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The half-built Vaevictus Asmadi lands-matter deck that was put on hold when they announced Commander 2018 themes is now back in construction lol

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Juzam was good in comparison to other creatures, but under costed vanilla creatures have rarely been all that relevant. The old 'dies to removal' argument. If it didnt have some kind of effect on the board, or is hard to kill, the p/t barely mattered.
Obviously, there are exceptions, but its been more true then not throughout magic's history.

Its not just Juzam, its all older creatures.

I doubt any creature from ABU would get played in standard if they were made legal. They are all poor by todays standard. Even the fabled sedge troll is kind of meh.

Juzam was a house for sure but he was fighting for deck space in an environment that contained stuff like Moat, The Abyss, Balance, Mind Twist, and Stasis. Imagine taking all of the power that used to be found on cards like those, transmuting it, and stapling it onto creatures. You don't get to Upheaval all your opponent's shit back into their hands or Stone Rain them on turn 2 but you can play unkillable death machine value engines like Hazoret and The Scarab God.

Juzam was also facing swords to plowshares, easily the most played removal spell of the era.

Considering swords makes 95% of current powerhouse creatures cry, poor all Juzam never had a chance at greatness.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
It's not like there weren't creature decks being played. The deck Zack Dolan used to win the first world championship had 11 creatures in it and he was on a sorta Stasis / control stategy. There were quick Juzam / Juggernaut decks packing Armageddon, URG zoo decks with kird ape and serendib efreet + channel fireball, Abyss decks with artifact dudes, etc.

But you've also got those eras where Balance was unrestricted and dudes were not something you could play. Later the really good control decks start showing up with with Moat, Disrupting Scepter, Blood Moon and Circle of Protection Red (Brian Weismann's The Deck type of things) that were backed up with backed with Plow, Counterspell, Disenchant, Mana Drain. It takes all of 1996 to start to get really damn good control decks fine with just playing draw-go forever. Shit, let's just track down that deck -

thedeck.png

Twenty-eight mana sources, value engines, removal, soft locks, City of Brass / Mirror Universe, Amnesia. This deck is sweet for 1996.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It's not normal for your Commander to be a Land, but on Methes it is.

Arixmethes, not even once.

Arixmethes.png

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
How does that interact with thespian stage?

Nm, guess you lose the land, it still seems playable and perhaps very strong.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
It's not normal for your Commander to be a Land, but on Methes it is.

Arixmethes, not even once.

View attachment 171503

Dunno about it as a commander, but it seems like a neat card at least and the flavor is cool. That bant deck is looking pretty solid so far.

As for Thespian Stage, I'd imaging since you'd have two legendaries with the same name, regardless of type, one would poof. Would instantly make a 12/12, though, if you wanted to speed it up since the EtB wouldn't happen. Could Solemnity it as well.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I knew about the copying without counters, but somehow I didn't remember you lose 1 of both lands before the "no counters" ability is resolved, as you own 2 identical legendaries while its on the stack.

Its been too long since I played competitively I guess, and MTGO autoresolves these things.

I'm still not sure what happens if you have the legendary creature version in play and play the land. They aren't identical legendaries if they are different types and since its an always on kind of ability it doesn't use the stack ? Seems like a new rules issue specific to this card.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Legendary rule doesn't care about being identical, it cares about Name. As long as two legends have the same full card title on the same player's battlefield, one must die.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Thanks.

Perhaps next time I play Lands I'll have some of that 2G enchantment that turns a Thalia into a basic forest .. :)

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Reflector Mage is basically the entirety of the problem with current MTG design philosophy distilled in to a single card.

Creaturespells are better than actual spells and have been for years now.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I doubt any creature from ABU would get played in standard if they were made legal. They are all poor by todays standard. Even the fabled sedge troll is kind of meh.

eh.. If we are saying specifically only ABU, yes many of the creatures sucked. So did many of the spells. The initial intent of the game was that power was balanced by rarity, and that no one would ever have 4x of any card they wanted.
That said,
Hypnotic Specter
Llanowar Elves
Lord of Atlantis
Nether Shadow
Black Knight
White Knight
Savannah Lions
Birds of Paradise
Veduran Enchantress

are all good enough to be played in current standard, some recent standard environments, or see/have seen play in modern/legacy.

Honorable mentions/Great in Limited:
Elvish Archer
Sedge Troll
Giant Spider
Goblin King
Juggernaut
Mahamoti Djinn
Nettling Imp
Orcish Artillery
Personal Incarnation
Prodigal Sorcerer
Roc of Kher Ridges
Royal Assasin
Sengir Vampire
Serra Angel
Shivan Dragon
Vesuvan Doppleganger
Will o the wisp

Also, regarding rarity balance, I forgot that Cockatrice and Thicket Basilisk are the same card, but one is better due to rarity. Both 2/4 deathtouch for 3GG, but cockatrice has flying. Though, I suppose for the purposes of the old lure combo, basilisk was actually better.

The reality is that most of the cards in ABU just sucked, creatures and non-creatures. Did you see the beta draft at GP Vegas? There'd be like 2-4 playable cards in a pack, and half the guys had to run 20+ lands just to get up to 40 playable cards. LSV made the finals running 3 or 4 colors and somewhere around 22 basics just to support all the colors.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Which really started all the way back in Visions.

Mirage block, Tempest block, and Urza block are each so full of nonsense that cards like Uktabi Orangutan, Nekrataal, and Man O War are barely an afterthought. Visions alone had Squandered Resources, Vampiric Tutor, Summer Bloom, Prosperity, Natural Order, and Goblin Recruiter. Each one of those cards would be nutso for a period time at least once.

And it's really a one-two punch. Creatures that have spells or value stapled onto them in conjunction with fast mana/engines/tutors/disruption/locks being pushed to the back. They've still got to make X amount of cards per year and substantial areas of design space that have been walled off as far as standard is concerned. If you don't like slugging it out on the board with dudes and planeswalkers than standard isn't all that interesting but it's game play that they can make tons and tons of cards for.

For me Modern looks about what I want Magic to look like. It has all of the traditional archetypes as well as little time capsule decks. You've got your U/W base control decks, burn, there's a discard deck, tron, R/G land destruction, reanimator, etc. All classic archetypes. Did you like Affinity? Infect? They've been updated but they're here. Standard's a bunch of goodstuff decks battling it out on the board with dudes and walkers and dudes that are also walkers. It is interactive gameplay that people enjoy but I like some of the parts of MtG that are bullshit.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I doubt any creature from ABU would get played in standard if they were made legal.

Llanowar elves is currently legal and a 4x, but for just straight up beaters yeah you're correct.

Dragon Whelp could have some potential in a new standard if the format shook out right.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
For me Modern looks about what I want Magic to look like. It has all of the traditional archetypes as well as little time capsule decks. You've got your U/W base control decks, burn, there's a discard deck, tron, R/G land destruction, reanimator, etc. All classic archetypes. Did you like Affinity? Infect? They've been updated but they're here. Standard's a bunch of goodstuff decks battling it out on the board with dudes and walkers and dudes that are also walkers. It is interactive gameplay that people enjoy but I like some of the parts of MtG that are bullshit.
And that's pretty much why magic can't die. It's a shapeshifter that's everything for everyone. Even if one or two formats are ass, it's killing it elsewhere. Even if someone doesn't like one thing, they can find something else that draws them in. Can't afford legacy? Pauper is sweet and has most major archetypes represented. Want new decks to fight against all through the calendar year and are okay with burning $$? Standard's got your back. Salty hipster that wants to play magic in an environment that rewards deck building skill instead of netdecking? Limited's your play. Have a specific era in Magic's past that you consider superior to all others? Build that cube or themed EDH deck, friend. Do you want to focus on mastering one deck to levels of familiarity and meta-awareness where your otherwise tier 2 pile operates like a tier 1 murder machine? Modern's got about 117 different decks you can choose to attempt this with.

It's a ridiculously good game, no matter how hard the company itself tries to be a pile of shit or fuck the game up.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure Hasbro could make billions of the franchise, as long as they add a small list of their most recent 200 fuckups, and indicate the game is still doing well despite their continued failures and faggotry.

Mass Effect didn't survive, and its not like that was a small franchise.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They posted the commander decklists, and everyone's bitching because it's only $80-130 worth of cards for $40.... vs the $70-75 worth of cards for $35 is pretty much was like clockwork previously. I think some people expected $200 value commander piles with Three Visits and shit.