MTG thread

Salshun_sl

shitlord
Alright, haven't played in like 2 years, buddy got me back into it. He had boxes and boxes of cards for me to make a deck, came up with this black/white quasi-mill deck. Opening game on his red/green deck ended with just destroying him, 36-0 final score. Let me know what you guys think of my deck:

One Hitter Quitter (Standard MTG Deck)

Strossus

Silver Knight of the Realm
would really rather you play more than 1 of a card,and since it seems you want to play devotion, play 4x gray merchant of asphodel's, after that all you, i do liek the idea of white/black, also Gift of Orzhova would be an auto include in the list hope this helps, have fun

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
I guess I'll be going to my first starcity games invitational this fall here in Seattle
smile.png

The first IQ I went to last year had like 40 people and my buddy won.. it didn't seem like a big deal. This one had roughly 100 and could have had a lot more if they'd reserved more space. I guess "home town invitational" really brings people out.

Overall, I enjoyed the event but for basically every other person in the event the prize pool was pretty terrible. ~100 people w/ a $25 entry and 16th place was 2 booster packs. Yuck.

Hopefully I don't suck this fall. I am fairly average at legacy atm, will need to practice it a lot more over the next 8 months.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Still playing the shit out of some MTG. I play mostly every weekend with pals etc. We played Planechase a bunch which is my new favorite format. Commander and Planechase is the most fun to me so far.

I just made a Commander deck withLu Xun, Scholar Generalas my commander. Lots of equipment and every blue bestow there is. Lots of counter spell type cards and then every blue bomb I had. Lots of fun to play.

Also building a rats commander deck with Ink Eye's. Still not sure what to focus my spells on. Maybe a sacrifice mechanic? What do you guys think? What type of spells would you run with rats?

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Oh and i'm doing the Pro Tour qualifier in Vancouver in May for shits and giggles. Anyone going?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Coat of arms is absurd. I remember having dozens of 20/20 cat tokens on like turn 7 one time, thanks to a Sol Ring and an Enlightened Tutor.

rad

Lord of Guk
Just figured out this combo for my rat commander deck.
You're doing it wrong. Relentless Rats + Thrumming Stone.

Go Golgari, run Jarad as your general. It also allows you to be a complete degenerate and run the above combo with say Concordant Crossroads and Doubling Season.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Assuming life doesn't intervene, I should be going to the Atlanta Open on Sunday, and then hopefully GP Richmond the next weekend. RUG Delver this weekend, then Scapeshift the next unless I decide to try out Tarmo-Twin.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
We've got an IQ at my local game store this Saturday. I've been wrecking our FNMs (only lost one in last two months and we get 20-35 people each week) so that's gotten my confidence pumped a bit to try and take it to the next level. Always thought I could do it, just been too busy/broke to travel to events most of the time. Having something like this AT my store, in Arkansas no less, has changed my outlook a bit.
I was playing mono-u devotion, but since I started seeing white based ethereal armor decks cropping up (which wreck it since they can outrace with bestowed hopeful eidolons) I switched to B/W midrange and have won last two weeks. I'm pretty sure I'll stick with it for the weekend. I'd play U/W control, but don't think I'll finish rounds in time as opponents often don't scoop when they should. So, other then a U/W/x build, I think B/W midrange is the best deck right now, and my sideboard is setup to help the U/W matchup that I'm most concerned about.

Is anyone on the boards coming to the IQ here (Springdale, AR) by chance?

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
bah, lost the final round of PTQ to go 7-2 and miss the top 8 (had to play since my breakers were awful - first opp 0-3 dropped). 18 packs of born of the gods is a hell of a bummer after coming so close to a shot at the trip.

Losses were to mono blue and G devotion, which I assumed would be cleared out by the tons of people running MBD and UW.. phooey.

Xalara

Golden Squire
bah, lost the final round of PTQ to go 7-2 and miss the top 8 (had to play since my breakers were awful - first opp 0-3 dropped). 18 packs of born of the gods is a hell of a bummer after coming so close to a shot at the trip.

Losses were to mono blue and G devotion, which I assumed would be cleared out by the tons of people running MBD and UW.. phooey.
Was this the PTQ in Seattle? If so, those people were largely cleared out by the monsters decks :p

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Well, I made top 8 of my IQ, undefeated through 6 rounds of swiss (6th round ID), 1st seed in top 8. Lost in first round to my round 5 opponent that I had beat 2-0 but put in a draw for the results as I wanted him in top 8 over some of the U/W and mirror matchups. He is one of the best players around, but I liked the matchup between my deck (B/W midrange) and Jund monsters better. In the top 8, I just didn't draw any of my removal two of the games and lost 2-1.
Oh well, looks like I'm gonna hit up the super IQ in little rock next weekend. My LGS owner is going there to vend and offered to take a few people with him, so I'm hitching a ride and a hotel room from him.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
Was this the PTQ in Seattle? If so, those people were largely cleared out by the monsters decks :p
I didn't see very many people playing RG monsters. None in my matches or the buddy playing the same deck, which is too bad because it is almost a bye for us. The people I knew in the top 8 were MBD, MBDr, Jund, UW and green devotion - not sure what the other 3 decks were since I didn't stick around.

Xalara

Golden Squire
I didn't see very many people playing RG monsters. None in my matches or the buddy playing the same deck, which is too bad because it is almost a bye for us. The people I knew in the top 8 were MBD, MBDr, Jund, UW and green devotion - not sure what the other 3 decks were since I didn't stick around.
What deck were you on again? I was on jund monsters myself. My mistakes were largely not mulliganing when I should have. I did lose to the person playing the MBDr deck in the top eight, but it was a very, very close third game which involved her top setting up a Rakdos's Return to strip my hand followed by Pack Rat. I suppose it was karma for me doing something similar in game two to her :p

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
I've been playing Naya.

Over 4300 for GP Richmond. That's friggin insane. Hopefully modern gets more love going forward.