MTG thread

businesscats_sl

shitlord
Have you played Sealed before?

For the dragon's maze prerelease you're going to pick 1 of the 10 Ravnica guilds. You'll get a special pack in your box containing cards for that guild only. Then you'll get a another pack that has only cards for a random guild that shares 1 color with that guild. Then you'll get 4 regular Dragon's Maze booster packs.

You will then open those and build the best deck you can out of all the available cards. You don't have to play the guild you picked but you probably will. Your deck will be at least 3 colors. You need to build a deck of 40 cards, generally 23 cards and 17 lands (basic lands will be available to add to your deck up to the number you need.) You can alter your deck as much as you want between games and rounds if you don't like the choices you made.

This will be a difficult prerelease to build decks for. 3 colors makes it hard to know how many lands of each color to play. Some decks will be 4 or even 5 colors depending what cards get opened. You may want to ask for help building your deck.

You will play best-of-3 matches, at least 4 of them. Your first round you will get randomly paired against someone, it could be another new player or a regular. After that, pairings will be by standing in the event.

It's important to take your losses in good spirits.
I haven't played draft or sealed, only modern and standard.The deck I playfor standard is pretty bad - R/B, which seems like a good way to learn the game - but I've done surprisingly well with it against good players with really great decks. It's not a guarantee that I'll be able to make a pre-release event since I travel for work pretty often, but I know I'm first on the list for Rakdos and most of the people that play at that shop are either friends of mine or just very helpful people. I'm looking to play a R/W deck when DGM comes out although I lack cards big time (picture related). Thankfully one of those people I play with basically said all of his cards are mine to use if I want.

rrr_img_21681.jpg

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's pretty easy to find a prerelease even if you happen to be in a different city that weekend.

businesscats_sl

shitlord
The only way I'd be able to attend one is if I was sent to Chicago, which I wouldn't know until I get the call. Anywhere else I go to I'm only there long enough to sleep.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Not that great, controls will deny it and aggro decks will have 1-2 cards and if they know you play this card they can just use them.

Therage

Vyemm Raider
So does anyone have any good reliable sites to buy cards from? Like singles or multiple copies of some cards for decks I'm working on, etc?

ood_sl

shitlord
Yep , channelfireball.com , starcitygames.com and trollandtoad.com are good Legit sites but tend to gouge, your best bargains will be eBay and local gaming stores.

Lame :

Xalara

Golden Squire
Cardkingdom.com is also pretty good. I tend to use them but their retail store is also a few blocks from my house so...

You can also occasionally find good deals off of Amazon.com via a third party seller.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
It's okay against the current reanimator decks but nothing special.
Will take surgical extraction or extirpate for that purpose any day.

This is a 5 mana sorcery, and if they already binned their fatty it doesn't even work.

0.02 cent rare.

Sterling

El Presidente
He's talking about standard reanimator decks. Also it will be a popular casual card so it will have some value.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Wasn't really sure where to put this or who might care, but he was my favorite Magic artist. According to his son and wife, Quinton Hoover passed away over the weekend at the young age of 49.