MTG thread

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Basically anyone playing successfully in competitive in the 90s and early 2000s was a scumbag or at least trained in the method of being a scumbag. The most important things me and my brother learned when we were traveling for events were ways to catch/counter that shit (and in my little brother's case, how to embrace being a scumbag and go hard himself, to more success. Going to the Pro Tour at 13-14 took him out of the JSS circuit early). Even in the Junior Super Series. Heck, probably worse there, since judges automatically assumed no guilt in all situations "because they're kids." Got knocked out of the top 8 of my last JSS Championship at Nationals when the kid just blatantly dropped extra islands in order to cast an extra blocker against my Fires deck, and the level 3 judge wasn't willing to do any counts or rewinds despite being called immediately.

It's definitely much reduced at this point, but I wouldn't trust anyone who started playing back then any more than I'd trust someone who came to MTG from YuGiOh.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I still refuse to do limited events at my LGS, they don't register decks.

One of the guys playing locally actually got banned for 3 years after cheating at a PTQ, which is funny since he never won shit due to being a terrible player. He always got the advantage in dubious situations at the LGS since no-one took him serious.

Recent years have shown people cheating while being streamed. People underestimate the amount of cheating going on, because they only understand they've been cheated in the rare case they catch the person doing it.

Brand

Molten Core Raider
Basically anyone playing successfully in competitive in the 90s and early 2000s was a scumbag or at least trained in the method of being a scumbag. The most important things me and my brother learned when we were traveling for events were ways to catch/counter that shit (and in my little brother's case, how to embrace being a scumbag and go hard himself, to more success. Going to the Pro Tour at 13-14 took him out of the JSS circuit early). Even in the Junior Super Series. Heck, probably worse there, since judges automatically assumed no guilt in all situations "because they're kids." Got knocked out of the top 8 of my last JSS Championship at Nationals when the kid just blatantly dropped extra islands in order to cast an extra blocker against my Fires deck, and the level 3 judge wasn't willing to do any counts or rewinds despite being called immediately.

It's definitely much reduced at this point, but I wouldn't trust anyone who started playing back then any more than I'd trust someone who came to MTG from YuGiOh.
Your brother's name wasn't Justin, was it?

Brand

Molten Core Raider
Nah, sean, we were the dudes running around with Ben Stark in the Midwest.
Gotcha, I still might have known you...but I think my last PT was in 2001...Even then I was winding down and just taking auto-invites. My business and life had eclipsed MTG by that time. Ben and his crew were just starting at that time...I think he didn't even see any success until 02/03.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
whenever i lose on a prerelease i would give all my cards to someone i befriended on the tournament, usually someone i played against( even if i lost against them) , so he would suit up his deck with left overs from mine.

I would keep some super nice rares, but that is it, i would just give him the rest.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So, big hooplah today.

They're adding 16 Discretionary Slots to each Pro Tour, to be filled with WotC-selected Women and Minorities to try to diversify professional magic on camera.

They also announced MPL replacements. Gerry T has quit the MPL over lack of clarity and direction. So Savj, the Hearthstone Player, is getting added to the MPL because he hit rank 1 Mythic on Arena, and Jessica Estephen, a lady who won a team event last year with two white dudes, are being added to replace Gerry and Yuuya.

Obviously the pro tour grinders are upset that random people are being given free MPL slots and Pro Tour invites with little explanation or guideline. And the incels are raging that the extra slots are explicitly for diversity's sake.

I'd love if those slots were used to help regions where the path of to the pro tour is now murky and tangled, instead of just scoring wokeness points in Seattle.

• 1WTF
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

yeahthatisneathuh

Trakanon Raider
First of all, Jesus Christ to the discretionary slots to fill with women and other people who don't compete at that level.

Secondly, cheating was fucking rampant in both places I lived growing up: SoCal and Las Vegas. I befriended pros and semipros and even playtested quite a bit with a few big names of the time and at least half would do shady shit. I lost a game once at states in the 90s or early 00s after I completely lost my shit at a guy 100% "accidentally" drawing an extra card 4 times. I was given the game loss, which I deserved for losing my shit, and the kid just sat there with a shit-eating grin saying "no, I didn't draw any extra cards." Judging was a little more loose then.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Unless they force the white dudes to scoop to the women then they could have 100 discretionary slots for women and Kangs it won't matter during the actual game.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Best comment I've seen on it was "So they're adding bye rounds to the Pro Tour?"

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
what a silly reason to quit over Gerry T.
Like for real.

It cost you nothing to go and play for the chance of a lot of money. The sense of entitlement is off the charts.
In order for Magic to be able to sustain those crazy payouts they could certainly use new players and more players like Pterodactyl .

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
what a silly reason to quit over Gerry T.
Like for real.

It cost you nothing to go and play for the chance of a lot of money. The sense of entitlement is off the charts.
In order for Magic to be able to sustain those crazy payouts they could certainly use new players and more players like Pterodactyl .
I mean it's not no cost. It's a huge time investment and them switching things up event to event and without any real knowledge of how to qualify again for next year there's a lot of unknowns.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
For someone like GerryT, it has very little cost to him. He could get a different sponsorship to make similar money as the MPL salary, but his contract with them prevented it. Think of it as leaving one esports team for another, for him, anyway. He thinks they have problems and this is how he draws attention to it, I can at least respect him for that decision.

Also, I actually talk to Jess Estephan a little bit. I'm in a discord with her, she's not a bad player by any means. She's also not a potential HoFer, either, though. As good as any top SCG Tour grinder, basically. Seems like a fine inclusion for the MPL.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
If they want to have a "show league" of magic players that's fine. Consider it like pro wrestling.

They should just cast them as planeswalkers and rig their games.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
It's fine to have the Harlem Globetrotters, I just wish they didn't have to actually blow up the real competitive league to do it.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users