MTG thread

Xalara

Golden Squire
Decided to switch from playing Mono-Blue devotion at FNM to playing Mono-Black Devotion. This will be fun, though last week I ran into a lot of control.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I'm going to buy some cards for my Friday night board game group friends for Christmas . Neither of them has ever played MTG in person, one has played a video game. Should I just get them each a starter deck and some boosters? Or just a bunch of boosters. Or is there a better option.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I'm going to buy some cards for my Friday night board game group friends for Christmas . Neither of them has ever played MTG in person, one has played a video game. Should I just get them each a starter deck and some boosters? Or just a bunch of boosters. Or is there a better option.
I find that for players who are entirely new, the Vs. deck products and starters are pretty good. If you get a bunch of boosters, you can set up a draft. No one will know what they're doing and everyone will be equally terrible.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I find that for players who are entirely new, the Vs. deck products and starters are pretty good. If you get a bunch of boosters, you can set up a draft. No one will know what they're doing and everyone will be equally terrible.
Cool, there are 5 of us so Ill just try and choose what color I think suites each person. Starter deck for each and 2 boosters.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
If you can find em, the new Commander decks are pretty sweet and technically retail for $29.99. You can find most of them at Target or Wal-Mart. The Mind Seize deck is a little harder to track down because it has a chase card in it, so people end up buying one first. I happen to mention it because there are 5 decks.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I actually went and bought them already. Pretty damn excited for the next game night. I haven't played with physical cards since grade school like 18 years ago!

UDkkoje.jpg

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I actually went and bought them already. Pretty damn excited for the next game night. I haven't played with physical cards since grade school like 18 years ago!
Super Bro thing to do; good for you man. I'll be seeing family over Christmas and buying a couple boxes of Theros for some drafts with my younger brother and friends.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Super Bro thing to do; good for you man. I'll be seeing family over Christmas and buying a couple boxes of Theros for some drafts with my younger brother and friends.
I think it's a pretty cool gift. The group I board game with are 2 married couples. Now they will each have a deck and can play each other at home as well!

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
Plus those "starter packs" also come with a booster pack in it as well so it will be fun for everyone to start tweaking their deck.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Tried UW control last night at FNM and fuckin hated it. I don't know how a deck can be so close to Esper and yet play so differently. It just durdles the entire match until you maybe stick an Elspeth. I dropped as quickly as possible and just played Commander all night.

The upshot is that I finally picked up an Enlightened and Personal Tutor. It's the little things.

Tried UW control last night at FNM and fuckin hated it. I don't know how a deck can be so close to Esper and yet play so differently. It just durdles the entire match until you maybe stick an Elspeth. I dropped as quickly as possible and just played Commander all night.

The upshot is that I finally picked up an Enlightened and Personal Tutor. It's the little things.
I see folks making more aggro versions of the deck with Soldier of Pantheon, Mutavaults, and Fiendslayer Paladin.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Played against a guy last night doing Dimir control but with Master of Waves as his top end. His deck is really rough to play against as Mono-Black because he had Domestication and a bunch of counter spells.

Like, Domestication just wrecks Mono-Black. I don't think the deck is unbeatable but I need some practice.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Last Breath is pretty good tech against both black and blue devotion. I haven't seen Dimir Control anywhere. That's pretty interesting.

Strossus

Silver Knight of the Realm
U/W control top 4'd our 31man fnm, he mainly used Jace, AoT, counters, mutavaukts, Aetherlings, and 1Elspeth, complaied it was no fun, so he decided to make Mono-U Devotion.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
It is horrifically un-fun. Honestly, this whole standard just bores me to tears right now. I'm optimistic that Born of the Gods will help a lot, but right now it's just does nothing for me.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Alright, I feel embarrassed to have to ask a rules question here, particularly one that seems so fundamental and obvious, but my buddy swears to lord god baby jesus and thor that a 'judge' at FNM told him this is how Magic is played:

I'll keep it real simple. I have two dudes, let's say two 3/3 dudes, not tokens. You cast Lightning Bolt on one of them. On the stack, I cast Unsummon. Unsummon resolves and returns said 3/3 dude to my hand. Lightning Bolt then:
A) Fizzles
B) Gets to choose another legal target as it resolves and kills my other 3/3 dude

For 19 years, as far as I've ever known, the answer is A. My buddy absolutely swears it is B. He said a 'judge' told him so at FNM recently. I told him his 'judge' is a moron. It seems to me, the implications of it being B are immense. For instance, what if the second 3/3 dude belongs to him and not me?

The actual play, by the way, was him casting Cutthroat Maneuvers on his own Insatiable Harpy and his own Agent of Fates, I responded by casting the unsummon aspect of Simic Charm on his Agent of Fates. He argues that after Simic Charm resolves, he gets to re-pick the second target of Cutthroat Maneuvers and cast it on Insatiable Harpy and now on his Asphodel Wanderer instead. I argued that the spell 'half-fizzles'. The Harpy gets +1/+1, the Agent goes back to his hand, and that's the end of it. I made the above Lightning Bolt argument to him but that still didn't sway him. We tried a quick google for the ruling but it's sort of hard to google it specifically, so here I am!

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The Lighting Bolt has no legal target when it goes to resolve and is countered. You don't get to pick new targets unless a spell or ability explicitly says to do so.