Murders and Shootings

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'll post this here since the thread that was specifically created so we could discuss Gun Control is being ignored and this thread has devolved back into a discussion of gun control...

A Land Without Guns: How Japan Has Virtually Eliminated Shooting Deaths - The Atlantic
Leave it to the Japanese to get it right...

To get a gun in Japan, first, you have to attend an all-day class and pass a written test, which are held only once per month. You also must take and pass a shooting range class. Then, head over to a hospital for a mental test and drug test (Japan is unusual in that potential gun owners must affirmatively prove their mental fitness), which you'll file with the police. Finally, pass a rigorous background check for any criminal record or association with criminal or extremist groups, and you will be the proud new owner of your shotgun or air rifle. Just don't forget to provide police with documentation on the specific location of the gun in your home, as well as the ammo, both of which must be locked and stored separately. And remember to have the police inspect the gun once per year and to re-take the class and exam every three years.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Please, tell us more aboutALMOST ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO!

Also, as usual its not the gun control advocates saying guns areTHEproblem. Just because they aren't "the only" problem, doesn't prove they aren'tAproblem.
That was the whole fucking point genius. 1. Shit like this has been happening for a long fucking time. 2. You dont need guns for mass murders. You need psychopaths.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
A while back there was a video going around with an old guy shooting a couple black dudes that tried to hold up everyone in a computer lab. He was made out to be a hero. Personally, I think he is a good for nothing shitbag. What if those dudes starting shooting back? There was 30 or so innocent bystanders sitting behind him. He wanted to start a shootout over the 20 bucks in his wallet and his AARP membership card? Fuck that.
So move the fuck to Europe you fucking pansy.

Fyro

Golden Squire
Same can be said for the other 15K homicides in this country per year. Yeah, its a horrible tragedy, and its the media which is blowing this shit out of proportion and the ones perpetuating the anxiety. Youre probably have a better chance getting struck by lightning than you or your kids being involved in an event like this.
It isn't so much how likely it is to happen it is the fact that schools are and should be seen as havens for children. More often than not they don't get what they need / deserve at home, so they find a place for shelter at school. With acts of violence like this you will have every single kid, in every school, in the entire nation second guessing their safe place.

No one wins the lotto, but everyone plays. People do stupid shit, just because it isn't rational to get scared doesn't mean that it won't happen These shootings don't just hurt the communities and children directly involved, they have a rippling effect into every school in the country.

lanludar

Silver Squire
Clearly this is what we should all do.

But, don't stop there. Remove your child from any contact with people from the 'outside' world. That should do the trick.
My child gets plenty of contact with others. Its called girl scouts and there are actual activities set up by home
school people for their children. I know crazy right. You can also take kids outside the house yourself to say
museums as part of schooling, but I know you really need a school system to do that for you.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
That was the whole fucking point genius. 1. Shit like this has been happening for a long fucking time. 2. You dont need guns for mass murders. You need psychopaths.
do you have any evidence from the pre-automobile, horse and buggy era?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
It isn't so much how likely it is to happen it is the fact that schools are and should be seen as havens for children. More often than not they don't get what they need / deserve at home, so they find a place for shelter at school. With acts of violence like this you will have every single kid, in every school, in the entire nation second guessing their safe place.

No one wins the lotto, but everyone plays. People do stupid shit, just because it isn't rational to get scared doesn't mean that it won't happen These shootings don't just hurt the communities and children directly involved, they have a rippling effect into every school in the country.
Sure they are safe havens, and they still are. Now ask yourself how many kids died in school fires or other accidents in school this year. Im probably thinking its a bit more than 20.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Even I think your trolling is in poor taste dude.
no one is trolling, bro.

what i find distasteful is that when something like this happens, someone is already thinking "how can we raise some cash from this"?

cold sweet cash, the universal balm for the soul.

Numbers_sl

shitlord
Frankly it kind of bothers me that there is a rush to contest who feels the worst. I'm sure the families got us all beat.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
No, you kind of do need guns for mass murder. This guy (and others in the past) tried and it didn't work that well. Others have in the past there as well, but the fatalities are extremely rare.

http://news.ca.msn.com/world/china-s...schoolchildren

That being said I don't think we could ever realistically eliminate the problem here. Cat out of the bag and all that.

headspace

Lord Nagafen Raider
So move the fuck to Europe you fucking pansy.
Luckily I live in Illinois. We are at least making an effort. I am surrounded by old white dudes, that haven't witnessed a crime in there entire privileged lives. It's very satisfying to listen to them incessantly cry about not having concealed carry.

Stosh

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Sure, I need a handgun to kill the potential intruder trying to break into my house.

No, the Second Amendment was not written for national defense - it was put in there for home protection. There were bad guys breaking into people's houses back in 1793 too.
Until this post, I tended to ignore all the people who think you are a fucking moron, mostly because I avoid the political threads. I understand now.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's a reason all these nutcases are involved in school shootings and not school bombings. They are picking the most efficient and easily accessible tool for the job. You simply can't claim that guns aren't the simplest path to the goal in these specific situations. For McVeigh or the Taliban bombs and chemicals sound great. For the lone crazy with a personal agenda they're a hindrance. Why shouldn't we be making it as tough as fucking possible to get a weapon of this efficiency, portability and concealment potential?