Must Have Software

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
OP Needs formatted like a MoFo...

Gaming Console Software (Rename to Media Server Software?)

Fork from PS3 Media Server, picks up where the guy leaves off since it was a small time project. The developer is now working with the people who make MEncoder and is pushing out updates very quickly. Also has a strong showing on his support forums and works with people individually to solve issues and sometimes pushes a custom build for people to solve issues.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
http://linuxmint.com/

It's a Linux distro that'll work out of the box. Most linux distros don't include any non-open source software like flash, drivers and video codecs, so you're limited in what you can do. Personally I don't give a shit if something is open source or not, as long as it's free. This distro comes with all that good stuff already in it.

Installed smoothly on my old PC that I want to use for downloading/previewing. Only software I installed extra was sabnzb+ which was easy to do with the software manager. Sharing folders works with my both my WinXP and Win7 boxes.

I'm about a 2/10 as far as Linux knowledge goes so I really like this, because it just works.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
A hearty "yes" to Linux Mint. It's a great distro.

The only question is, Cinnamon or MATE? I prefer Cinnamon myself.

Rabkorik

Silver Knight of the Realm
Someone posted software for accessing your families computers remotely but it got deleted, anyone remember what program it was ?
I'm not sure if teamviewer is what you were looking for or not.

The program I use isLogmein. You simply install it on the computer of interest with your account and then you can access it from any computer/tablet/phone that has access to a web browser or app. It's fantastic:https://secure.logmein.com/

Another program I use that I consider a 'must have' isDropbox(Cloud Storage):https://www.dropbox.com/

A nifty trick I found when you combine the two: If you travel a lot and need something off of your home computer. Simply use Logmein to login to your home computer and put the file in Dropbox. If you have Dropbox on your device the file will automatically sync to your other device.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Virtual Clone Drive - Virtual disk drives for mounting .iso's and .bin's

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I used deamon tools for this for years, butso farWindows 8 has mounted everything fine using the built-in tool.
Tried mounting anything in native Windows 8 that needed RMPS/emulation before? I haven't but I'm curious.

Kinkle_sl

shitlord
Recently bought a second TV for the bedroom, and wanted to figure out some way to connect it to my pre-existing networked media, while buying as little additional materials as possible. Didn't really want to hook it up to my desktop (would've needed a 20ft HDMI or DVI cable), and definitely didn't want to build a whole new HTPC for it just yet... Ended up hooking my 360 to the TV and have been streaming/transcoding to it via the network. I haven't attempted to push my PC's processing power yet by trying to transcode HD video, but at standard (which is just fine for normal TV), it runs without a hitch. Essentially, your PC can stream any media to most connectable devices (360, tablet, phone) and handles the entire load.

http://tversity.com/

Which, I guess, is exactly the same as the universal media server already listed. Oh well.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Cygwinwith SSH plugin is a good alternative to Putty
Well, yeah, but it's an order of magnitude larger and more complicated, too.

I'd say that anyone who doesn't have a good working knowledge of unix/linux should stay away from cygwin...

Archangel_sl

shitlord
http://calibre-ebook.com/

Let's you edit, convert, and sync ebooks with a tablet or reader.
Have you used it recently? I ask only because I tried it when I got the iPad2 almost 2 years ago, and it was really snarky and crashy. If you've used it, I would really appreciate some first hand feedback.
smile.png

And, are there good recommendations for cataloging and sorting mass quantities of photos at once?

smile.png

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I mentioned this on MN ...

Team Viewer

If you provide Tech Support to friends and family like I do, this makes life really easy.
Where I work we usewww.joinme.com(www.join.me) for remoting onto systems without previously installing software. For contract customers we usewww.Logmein.com

I've got all my personal home computers on my own logmein account, and my dad has his along with my grandmothers. It allows you to login with no action on their end, REALLY good for old people.

Smocca_sl

shitlord
Have you used it recently? I ask only because I tried it when I got the iPad2 almost 2 years ago, and it was really snarky and crashy. If you've used it, I would really appreciate some first hand feedback.
smile.png

And, are there good recommendations for cataloging and sorting mass quantities of photos at once?
Yea I use Calibre almost every day. I don't think I've ever had it crash or had any significant problems.

I don't do much with Photos but I usually recommend Picassa to my family when they ask. Seems to work well enough for them.

smile.png

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I've been usingPlex Media Serverrunning on headlessLinux Mintserver that I access usingNX Client for Windows. It is also home toSabnzb,CouchPotato, andSickbeard. I can't say enough good stuff about this setup. It's non-trivial to get running, but it requires almost no maintenance once you're off the ground. I have Plex clients on all my mobile devices and the server will transcode all my video on the fly and stream anywhere, any time I have an internet connection. I watched a couple of movies off my home sever when I was in South America last month and the experience was flawless. Super awesome for people who want media in places other than their living rooms.

Also, decisive seconds on bothHandbrakeandCalibre. I use them constantly.