Must Have Software

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, you wouldn't want to clone your boot/windows drive from a mechanical HD to a SSD, you want a fresh install of windows so it can default to the correct settings on an SSD. It would work, but you won't get optimal performance.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
For Windows 8, if you dislike the Start Screen but want to retain the ability to run Metro apps if required:Pokki. It's a Start Menu with some sort of App Store built in. Even if you ignore the apps entirely, it's a really decent start menu replacement.

My only complaint about it is the lack of ability to right-click on things that would be context-sensitive in Win7, like say, Computer.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Maybe not for everyone, but I am in love with PushBullet. Absolute best way I've found yet for getting files on to a PC to your phone.

The tl;dr is it's a web interface that pushes a file to the notifications on Android devices, from where you can just download it directly from phone.

http://blog.pushbullet.com/2013/01/20/hello-pushbullet/

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have recommendations for secure storage of accounts and passwords? I've looked into LastPass, which seems just to work with your web browser. And I've heard using KeePass with an encrypted database stored in Dropbox folder is a good way to keep the data local while maintaining portability. Any others?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I use KeePass with Dropbox. It can be a little awkward at times, especially if I update an entry without syncing dropbox on one machine, then make a change on another. It's a good enough system that I haven't bothered to look for alternatives though.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I use KeePass with Dropbox. It can be a little awkward at times, especially if I update an entry without syncing dropbox on one machine, then make a change on another. It's a good enough system that I haven't bothered to look for alternatives though.
That's what I've been using for a couple of years now as well. Also, if you screw up and do what Denamian mentioned, KeePass will notice that one version is newer than it expects and ask if you want to merge the records when you save, instead of just copying over. So far, despite my own forgetfulness, it has worked perfectly.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Ok, keepass it is. Does it encrypt the database itself, or should I get a different program to encrypt? Haven't even poked around in the program yet, so might be a dumb question. Now, to only convince my wife to use it too.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
From what I understand the database should be. You have to type in a "master" password to access all the rest of your stored passwords, so if it weren't encrypted I'm sure someone would have hacked it by now.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I guess one other question: should I be worried about someone getting a hold of the database file(dropbox has been breached before) and decrypting it eventually? Yes, I could use the key file, but that seems like too much of an inconvenience.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
From the KeePass features page:
KeePass supports the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES, Rijndael) and the Twofish algorithm to encrypt its password databases. Both of these ciphers are regarded as being very secure. AES e.g. became effective as a U.S. Federal government standard and is approved by the National Security Agency (NSA) for top secret information.
The complete database is encrypted, not only the password fields. So, your user names, notes, etc. are encrypted, too.
SHA-256 is used as password hash. SHA-256 is a 256-bit cryptographically secure one-way hash function. Your master password is hashed using this algorithm and its output is used as key for the encryption algorithms.
In contrast to many other hashing algorithms, no attacks are known yet against SHA-256.
Protection against dictionary and guessing attacks: by transforming the final master key very often, dictionary and guessing attacks can be made harder.

In-Memory Passwords Protection: Your passwords are encrypted while KeePass is running, so even when the operating system caches the KeePass process to disk, this wouldn't reveal your passwords anyway.
[2.x] Protected In-Memory Streams: When loading the inner XML format, passwords are encrypted using a session key.
Security-Enhanced Password Edit Controls: KeePass is the first password manager that features security-enhanced password edit controls. None of the available password edit control spies work against these controls. The passwords entered in those controls aren't even visible in the process memory of KeePass.
The master key dialog can be shown on a secure desktop, on which almost no keylogger works. Auto-Type can be protected against keyloggers, too.
Someone who knows far more than me about this stuff can tell you how secure that is, but it sounds pretty good. I'd probably change all my passwords if dropbox got broken in to and there was a chance my database was copied anyway.

As far as the merging differences in the database, KeePass does that just fine. The problem is when Dropbox detects a conflict and creates a renamed copy of the database: Database(MachineX's conflicted copy).kdbx or somesuch. Then things get a little annoying but it's still easy to merge the two. Still far easier than trying to remember a ton of strong passwords and safer than reusing the same few over and over.

Scaffa_sl

shitlord
Also bare in mind that for an encryption algorithm to be considered "broken", that means someone has found a way quicker than brute forcing to decrypt it.

Even if in that "quicker" way would still take sixty thousand years.

SAIDIN_sl

shitlord
Here is a bunch of tools for everyone. Be careful downloading some of them if you don't download through a virtual machine already. I'll add more later if the demand is high. I purposely left out like 30 more links because even the dumbest people could use them to attack their neighbors or learn how to DDOS their way to internet victory. This is for the WHITE Hats. Figured it was time to give back

Vulnerability Research Sites
SecurityTrackerwww.securitytracker.com
National Vulnerability Database nvd.nist.gov
SecuriTeam,www.securiteam.com
Secunia,www.secunia.com
Hackstorm Vulnerability Databasw Tool,www.hackerstorm.com
HackerWatch,www.hackerwatch.org
SecurityFocus,www.securityfocus.com
Security Magazine,www.securitymagazine.com
SC Magazine,www.scmagazine.com
Exploit Database,www.exploit-db.com

Website Research Tools

DNS and WHOIS Tools
NSlookup (lol)
Sam SPade,www.samspade.org
WebFerret,www.webferret.com

Email Tracking
eMailTrackerPro,www.emailtrackerpro.com
PoliteMail,www.politemail.com

Ping Sweep
Angry IP Scanner,www.angryip.org
Ultra Ping Pro,http://ultraping.webs.com

Vulnerability Scanning

Proxy,Anonmyizer and Tunneling

Enumeration

Password Cracking tools
Cain,www.oxid.it
John the Ripper,www.openwall.com
LCP,www.lcpsoft.com
THC-Hydra,http://www.thc.org/thc-hydra/
ElcomSoft,www.elcomsoft.com
LAstbit,http://lastbit.com
Aircrackwww.aircrack-ng.org/
Rainbow Crack,www.antsight.com/zsl/rainbowcrack/
Brutus,www.hoobie.net/brutus
KerbCrack, httpL//ntsecurity.nu

Sniffing

KeyLogger
KeyProwlerwww.keyprowler.com
Handy Key Logger,www.handy-keylogger.com
Actual Keylogger,www.actualkeylogger.com
Actual Spy,www.actualspy.com

Covering Track
ELsavewww.ibt.ku.dk
EraserPro,www.acesoft.com
Window Washer,www.webroot.com
Auditpol,www.microsoft.com

Packet Crafting/Spoofing

Thats all I'm going to list for now. Hope it helps the White Hats out here.