Must Have Software

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Copied from Homsar's first post on the old forums:

Since there is numerous software threads asking for types of programs I figure we can list everything into 1 thread. I know there is a lot of sections missing atm

Ninite - A quick way to install some of the programs listed below

• Converting Movies/Shows
  • ConvertXtoDVD
  • Any Video Converter Ultimate
  • Handbrake

• Audio Editing
  • Audacity
  • FLStudio

• Video Players
  • Media Player Classic - Home Cinema
  • KMPlayer
  • VLC

• Music Players
  • Zune
  • Foobar

• Graphic Design
  • Adobe Photoshop
  • GIMP

• Burning
  • IMGBurn
  • MagicISO/UltraISO

• Torrenting
  • Qbittorrent
  • Deluge
  • UTorrent
  • Transmission
  • Bitcomet
  • Bit Che

• Newsgroups
  • Sonarr
  • Sickbeard
  • Couchpotato
  • Sabnzb+

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Homsar

Someone posted software for accessing your families computers remotely but it got deleted, anyone remember what program it was ?

khanable_sl

shitlord
Just a note to any Safari users -- addblock sucks royal butthole on Safari. Totally fucking broken and forces you to refresh every page when going 'back'.

Makes it painful to browse anything
frown.png

frown.png

frown.png

Homsar

I still think waterfox is the best browser out there by far, only things is add-ons which I dont use and its 64 bit. Everything is so much faster than Chrome or Firefox

For the Photographers out there... Lightroom 4 is pretty essential.

For my music player I'm a huge fan of MusicBee. Its not perfect, but it is very well made, lightweight, highly configurable, has audiophile features such as ASIO output, and best of all totally free. Love it
smile.png

smile.png

smile.png

Blide_sl

shitlord
I still think waterfox is the best browser out there by far, only things is add-ons which I dont use and its 64 bit. Everything is so much faster than Chrome or Firefox
I appreciate this suggestion. Didn't even realize something like this existed.

So far it seems to just be a 64-bit version of Firefox. Considering it works with all my add-ons, I see no reason not to switch over.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I was having issues installing Photoshop CS3, so I actually downloaded PS 7.0.

It's actually still fucking awesome.

Music Players - Still rocking Winamp with a classic skin. Less is more!

Homsar

Audacityis good for audio editing (Free)
FL Studiois great for creating/editing audio/music.
Will ad audio editing to the list, is it pretty much the same thing as fruity loops?

Will 2nd Waterfox. It's quite legit.
As the tech guy for friends/family I literally dread dealing with anything online until I have waterfox. If its an older pc it varies, everything takes up so much memory for no reason atm

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
FL Studio is much more advanced than Audacity for editing audio. For simple voice tracks, compression/equalization Audacity isfreeand easy -- while FLStudio has a pretty high learning curve but better performance. There are a bunch of audio mixing warez out there, I just mentioned the two I have the most experience with.

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
I'll second Handbrake, good for OSX and Windows.

If you're looking for a light weight program, WinFF has been around for a number of years. Basically just a GUI for FFMPEG.
There are some advanced options if you need, but if you straight up just want to convert from one format to another, it's my go to program.

http://winff.org/html_new/downloads.html

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
FL Studio is much more advanced than Audacity for editing audio.
Am I missing something? FL Studio and Audacity aren't proper music recording software. FL Studio is more of a beat machine, like Reason, and Audacity is a much less powerful, reads: free, version of the music recording software currently available.

The best available are Logic Pro (Mac) and Pro Tools (PC). If you want more power than the freemo Audacity, but aren't running a proper studio (Logic/Pro Tools), go with Ableton Live. One of my friends uses this to record a lot of our music and it's very easy use and hit the ground running.

So, Audacity > Ableton Live > Logic Pro and/or Pro Tools.

Homsar

Am I missing something? FL Studio and Audacity aren't proper music recording software. FL Studio is more of a beat machine, like Reason, and Audacity is a much less powerful, reads: free, version of the music recording software currently available.

The best available are Logic Pro (Mac) and Pro Tools (PC). If you want more power than the freemo Audacity, but aren't running a proper studio (Logic/Pro Tools), go with Ableton Live. One of my friends uses this to record a lot of our music and it's very easy use and hit the ground running.

So, Audacity > Ableton Live > Logic Pro and/or Pro Tools.
I never deal with audio editing, I just see the software. I'll keep it on the list for now.

As for virus cleaning Im going to remove Malwarebytes unless people still vouch for it.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
As for virus cleaning Im going to remove Malwarebytes unless people still vouch for it.
I still use it now and then, but it's not my primary tool. MSE does a good enough job these days.