Naked and Afraid

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Dani posted a bit on thesubreddit for N&A. Obviously take what she says with a grain of salt but according to her the footage of her and Alana making fun of Shane while he tried to hunt with his bow was totally edited together from two unrelated events and the turtles were protected and off limits from the start so both turtle scenes (Shane and the girls fighting and Jeff and EJ's failed turtle jail) were bullshit for the cameras. She also confirmed what I speculated earlier in the thread that the scene where everybody arrived just as they were about to eat the eel was choreographed by the producers.
ALL turtles were protected by the private nature reserve we filmed on. Everyone was aware of this.

No we were never given any food, water, or assistance. There was a lot of food there, we really didn't need the turtle anyway.

You bet I did! I made myself a hat, shoes, clothing, and a TON of cordage for traps and fishing line early on. When Shane was planning on leaving, I sat with him for about 5 hours and taught him how to make cordage and a hat to keep him protected in the 120 degree savannah weather.

The show will take and manipulate whatever footage they want to make a dramatic storyline. They can insert audio clips, smirks, laughs, eye rolls next to any footage to create tension and drama. It is not scripted, but definitely altered to fit a plot.

1) Charlie and I could not have been more polar opposite! However, this made for such a beautiful relationship and learning experience for the both of us. I'm still completely shocked, and grateful that we hit it off so well. It definitely opened up my mind and gave me a greater appreciation for the people who served in the military. I learned to trust someone so different than me and how mentally strong it made me doing that whole challenge. Our extraction was the hardest thing I've ever done. 2) you would think I would have had some kind of advantage but Colombia is the most bio diverse country in the world and both locations had nothing in common besides mango trees! 3) i honestly got along great with Shane. We've hung out a few times since we returned from Colombia. I have no regrets-- Shane and I had a lot of long conversations out there and the best thing for him was to be separate from Alana. His camp was not far from us at all and we still hung out every night on the savannah.

4) cashew nuts and almonds! The show is making it seem like protein is the essential nutrient that everyone needed. Carbs are more important. 5) spiderwebs make awesome STERILE bandages in the field when you have nothing else! Wrap a fresh web over your wound then cover with a plant bandage (after cleaning it of course) 6) Alana is a tough girl who doesn't have time for nonsense and will tell you how it is. She doesn't play into pity-parties and whiners. She's definitely strong and skilled. She's very nurturing and caring but does not do well when someone disrespects her

On day 1 I found cashew trees, mangos, edible flowers, heart of Palm, lots of Colombian fruit that I can't think of the name off the top of my head. It was the dry season so most of our food was not ripe and a couple of the fruits were fatal if not cooked- the fruit that Shane brought me while I had my fever was one of them and it's highly toxic and poisonous if consumed raw (they tried to make it look like he climbed a tree and brought mangos which is completely false). Alana was also catching fish all the time & eating a lot of bugs! We had a whole agouti family as well which we didn't need to kill because we were eating so well. I was basically feeding the agouti out of my hand
smile.png

Not at all. I'm a workhorse and can't sit still! My strategy for both was to just thrive and maintain a deep connection to nature: only take what you need, don't chop down trees if you won't use the materials, survive smart, respect your environment and the creatures that live there & of course be self aware of your own strengths and limitations. Of course the way they portray most of the women is not accurate. But, I didn't do this to become a television star so the experience itself is most meaningful to me. If they want to make it look like I was on a 40 day camping trip then so be it.

The interviews were so annoying! We would only be about 20 feet away from our shelter. They did these constantly throughout the day. Every day. Cameras everywhere.

Choreographed. We weren't allowed to make some of our own choices which bothered me.

Because if you watch the clip they recently aired, Alana and I had to join the big group.

On my 21 day I wanted to build my shelter in a different spot but we couldn't because it was too noisy from water rapids and interfered with the camera. I can't release other things at this time.

Because I'm part Asian! Don't worry I get that ALOT. I actually don't do any drugs at all- not even pot!

Sure! Well some examples would be them not showing the footage of me building our shelter ;; inserting audio clips to make it look like I was laughing at Shane ;; most of the footage shown was from week 1 when I had a 102 fever ;; Alana and I were the only ones successfully harvesting food ;; the plethora of dry perfect firewood laying around every two feet which meant it was pointless to be chopping down entire trees in 120 degree weather ;; all of the nasty things Shane said to Alana ;; Alana catching a million fish ;; me making the hats, cordage, shoes, clothing... The list goes on and on and on. The answer to your next question is that a lot of it was choreographed. It's TV, there's a lot of logistics involved. My survival strategy was not anything like Alana or Shane's. When I enter the wilderness, my mindset immediately goes into a deep connection with nature and my environment. I learn from the animals and I work hard and smart. Everything and everyone deserves to be treated with respect.

I totally agree with you. XL was more confusing because we had SO many more camera people for all of the different groups. A lot of organization/camera stuff needed to be planned more carefully. I enjoyed my 21 day experience with Charlie more. I am also not a fan of the drama and I don't care to be a television star/camera hog, lol.

No, I made sunscreen/insect repellent with a mixture of mud, ash, and medicinal plants.

Awesome! Thank you. 1~ I am french english chinese and portugese. 2~ I didn't start watching the show until I found out I was doing it. I was scouted through my wilderness medicine school and a primitive survival group. 3~ I like the 21 day more because it's less focused on the drama and shows more survival. 4~ The 21 day was harder for me. Our location was the toughest and our 3-part extraction was the hardest out of any of them.
for those that can't read reddit

pretty pissed about the turtle shit, that means the whole entire exchange between alana being the perfect animal lover and shane being the crazy kill kill kill bastard, all for show.

that means when ej found that turtle and they put it in the stupid cage, all for show

i don't know about the merge (again i haven't watched the show since crazy girl left) but them doing that w/ choreo again sounds like shitty, eh i loose care for the show now, gonna go and put in w/ crazy girl.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Felt bad for Dani this week. Maybe she was doing something horrible that they didn't show us but it sure seemed like mean girl high school shit. I called it btw, when they first did the 3-girl team and they were all like "3 strong women yay!" I knew it was only a matter of time before they started hating each other. The fact that women can't stand each other is probably the main reason that men still rule the world. Jeff and EJ are smart to stay away.

I also knew from the first preview that there was no way that Jeff was not going to share that eel. I think he is the undisputed naked and afraid champion now.

Oldbased

> Than U
When I was young and stupid I always thought my woman was cheating on me since she always complained about working with women and only wanted to be around men. As years went by I learned what this show showed us the hard way ( by listening to drama every night for 3 hours at a time ). Women will compete, create drama, beat each other down, and lie just cause other women. With men around women it really comes down to- A) He wants to fuck you. B) He wants you to just do your job and shut up.
Women around women is much more complicated where jealousy, hatred, envy, and all the other vagina sins are mixed into every encounter.

To be honest we don't know what happened the past few weeks with Dani, but the hippy dude and Mr passive aggressive guy didn't help whatever it was.
Also that utah guy that literally fed everyone for 2 weeks is a better person than I. After that stingray shit I would have at most given the group of 9 like 1/3rd of the eel to split between all of them and feasted with my home bro while screaming YAAAAAA All damn night long.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I think there are too much manufactured shit on this show. I don't believe anything actually.

Oldbased

> Than U
Women, crazy as they are, appear to get even more crazy after being left in the wild 40 days with little food/water/beer and happy pills.

I watched the ending to this one since it had some people I liked from previous N&A but done watching this on Disco. In fact done with most stuff on Disco as it appears almost all my series are just bullshit, even the ones that used to be core like Deadliest Catch. ( Which has been Bullshit mostly for about 6 seasons now. The crab life is hard and all but most of the shit you see on the show is dramatized/whatever for bullshit purposes. I actually found the first few years when it was mostly raw footage the best. )

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Someone link the study that w/ 2 groups of women and men, initially the men will fail at everything for the first few weeks cuz they're all competing to be Alpha, and the women will outshine the men cuz they all kumbaya. Then as the weeks progress the men just find their place and do shit while women just spend their time bickering and and basically regress to mean girls high school.

not sure if it was mentioned yet, but... season 2 of "the island with bear grylls"; youtube it. there's a men's island and a woman's island. the season's epi alternates bw the 2 sexes.
it's contrived in that they transplanted tubers and put some animals and fresh water on the island. but, if you go along with that aspect of it (it'd be boring otherwise.. who wants to see ppl fast for a weeks?), it's worth watching for the psychology of it... and for the lols that the woman do and the lol of the profeminist synopsis of the woman's island at the end of the season. ... i don't think that an island of butch lesbians would change much?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
you can find the butchest bulldykes in the world, so tough they could benchpress rhonda rousey and they would still fail at hunting and surviving in the wild. chicks just do not possess the physical strength for it. sure maybe a cro magnon chick could rock that shit, but i bet even cromagnon chicks had the good goddamned sense to get a cro magnon man to kick the sabertooth tiger's ass when it showed up.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Well I enjoyed XL but I hope they stick to only two people in the future. That many people lets too many hangers-on finish in my opinion.

Oldbased

> Than U
I hope the next one is just the utah guy and he runs around just slaying everything screaming yaaaaaa and has animal body parts hanging out of his mouth as he does it.
Fuck ya. Merica

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
not sure if it was mentioned yet, but... season 2 of "the island with bear grylls"; youtube it. there's a men's island and a woman's island. the season's epi alternates bw the 2 sexes.
it's contrived in that they transplanted tubers and put some animals and fresh water on the island. but, if you go along with that aspect of it (it'd be boring otherwise.. who wants to see ppl fast for a weeks?), it's worth watching for the psychology of it... and for the lols that the woman do and the lol of the profeminist synopsis of the woman's island at the end of the season. ... i don't think that an island of butch lesbians would change much?
bear grylls shit sucks, i mean of ALL the fucking animals in the world, the men find the sleepiest fucking croc, and the women get 3 baby pigs? cuz OF COURSE you want to see men wrestle a croc and OF COURSE you want to see hungry women gut baby pigs.

Oh this one time, a crazy bitch thought she knew how to fish and failed for days and everyone is hungry. But all of a sudden a Magical fishing boat appears out of nowhere and they just throw her the biggest 20lb fish for lulz.

fuck that fake shit, the only cool thing was seeing the mens side, when an absolute retard decided to climb a wet vertical cliff in the river and fell, that was glorious! he had broken bones and everything! not that i wanna see ppl get hurt, but he was the dumb fuck that decided "3 ppl in front of me decided to jump across and made it safe, i'mma think, NAW fuck that, i'mma climb this cliff instead!"

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Back to N&A XL.. I found myself wanting to punch team lazy after they were whining about how they felt slighted EJ and Jeff wanted to finish on their own. Their comments on how "they made it to the end just the same on their own hard work" seemed bizarre considering Jeff handed them 3 huge ass meals with the eels. I honestly question if they would have had so many finishers without those meals given to them. Even hippy dude sounded like he barely made it out of there blacking out and heaving left and right.

If that team had caught anything of significance and share over the last few weeks, I think they would have a stronger argument. I just think they barely made it though and seem to discount the massive food assistance they had from Jeff and AJ.

I actually liked this XL format better than the 2 man teams. You see a bit more dynamics and psychology vs two people just starving it out / possibly ignoring one another for 21 days.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
It would be better if there wasn't so much obvious manipulation from the production team.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
If that team had caught anything of significance and share over the last few weeks, I think they would have a stronger argument. I just think they barely made it though and seem to discount the massive food assistance they had from Jeff and AJ.
I realize they only show us what they want to show, but almost every time we saw the six person group they were lying around. I would say, "Hey, you four, break off in pairs and go find food. THAT IS YOUR JOB. Find food." The other two can get water, maintain the fire, etc. it just seemed like they weren't organized at all. I don't blame EJ and Jeff for not joining them.

Also, how can everyone lament about "OMG NEED PROTEIN....so weak" and the vegetarian had no problem lasting 40 days. Is it magic to proclaim "Oh, I'm vegetarian" and not need protein?

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Is it contrived that the women didn't trade the obvious for the labor of the men?