Napoleon (2023)

Chris

Potato del Grande
Depends on which facts he took liberty with. Since this is about events we have a wealth of data on, I was hoping it would be much more accurate than Gladiator, which was pretty much historical fiction, like Master and Commander or Downton Abby.
Gladiator was a remake though.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Gladiator was a remake though.
baseball camera GIF

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Goonsquad Officer
They do that a lot. Make main characters in historucal hoohas 40 or 50 when the dude was 20. Ignoring race, ibris Elba is cast as Hannibal, and that guy is old as fuck now. Hannibal wasn't. (Tho he also wasn't black)

I think Hollywood has devolved to a point that they think that some one who is authoritative must fit their childish conception of it, so old.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
I just saw this and it was terrible. Shitty acting and even worse screen play. Joaquin Phoenix was bored throughout the whole thing and they gave him stupidest lines to say. I think trying to condense Napolean's adult life into 2 hours was too much for the director and the screenwriter.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
God damn spoiler that shit, man!
We can joke about this but I'd bet over 97% of Americans have no clue about anything Waterloo and 2% think it's an ABBA song. European history education was already on the decline 30 years ago and it was all but gone from my kids curriculum except when they voluntarily took AP Euro and comparative religion.

Maybe in a year or two we'll get a meme about how often men think about the decline of the great European empires. It's approaching Roman Empire frequency for me already.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We can joke about this but I'd bet over 97% of Americans have no clue about anything Waterloo and 2% think it's an ABBA song. European history education was already on the decline 30 years ago and it was all but gone from my kids curriculum except when they voluntarily took AP Euro and comparative religion.

Maybe in a year or two we'll get a meme about how often men think about the decline of the great European empires. It's approaching Roman Empire frequency for me already.

Just binge watch Sean Bean in Sharpe!

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Just binge watch Sean Bean in Sharpe!
I have. The show, and the books are underrated. I was reminded of them the other day when lazy fuck GRRM said he can't write as fast as Cornwell. No one can, but there's plenty of room between multiple books a year and none for a decade.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I learned everything I need to know about Napoleon from Bill and Ted's excellent adventure.

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Tsar Bomba

Molten Core Raider
Worth IMAX? Or would it be similar on a 4K OLED with a bitching sound system?
No.

True IMAX (film) is around 16K. Had a chance to talk to the Chief Projectionist who at the time was in charge of all Warren theater's. He felt it would be there some day. Said what you see in the cinema at that time was a proprietary 2K windows codec file off their servers for normal movies. That's been probably 5 years ago.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just saw this and it was terrible. Shitty acting and even worse screen play. Joaquin Phoenix was bored throughout the whole thing and they gave him stupidest lines to say. I think trying to condense Napolean's adult life into 2 hours was too much for the director and the screenwriter.
I just thought it was average. The battles were great but I also didn’t think the acting was good. This was one of those where it was more Phoenix cosplaying as Napoleon. The movie moves so fast from event to event. Was expecting more and walked out a little disappointed to be fair.

• 1Solidarity

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
If the goal of the movie was to show how much of a Weird Little Guy Napoleon was, and how much he ruled at cannons, mission accomplished.

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
This was bar none the best representation of Michael Scott playing Nepoleon

• 1Worf

Goonsquad Officer
its the movie. he gets in akward social situations where he just plows right in through sheer force of weird behavior, then when combat starts he manages to autisticly pull through so he can go back to being a weirdo and akwardly flirt with a woman who barely seems interested.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Maybe I wont be watching this after all. It sounds like the history is bad and the story is chopped up too much to be interesting, so all that's left is the spectacle. If I liked spectacle only movies, I'd probably start with Avatar 2.

• 1Like