Narcos

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Not for me but... spoilers. New season hasn't been out very long.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Why do they bleep the senators name out? Is it that big of a deal?

I wondered about this myself as it was so long ago nobody should really give a shit. People on Reddit think it's as Netflix didn't want the legal headaches that might come from it and any repercussions it could have. The guy whose name was bleeped is still pretty tight with and rolls in high level political circles (He was appointed the CEO of the 2nd largest state owned company in Mexico in 2018). Probably a case of why go looking for legal trouble when you can just bleep it and avoid it.

I'd guess that they have advisors working on the show for this type of thing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

SeanDoe1z1

I wondered about this myself as it was so long ago nobody should really give a shit. People on Reddit think it's as Netflix didn't want the legal headaches that might come from it and any repercussions it could have. The guy whose name was bleeped is still pretty tight with and rolls in high level political circles (He was appointed the CEO of the 2nd largest state owned company in Mexico in 2018). Probably a case of why go looking for legal trouble when you can just bleep it and avoid it.

I'd guess that they have advisors working on the show for this type of thing.

I thought about this with the last season of mindhunters. While the real life Atlanta killer was never charged or convicted of all those murders, Netflix clearly put him as the guy. Like putting him at one of the crime scenes checking his work. Makes you wonder if there were any grounds for liability there.

Netflix probably doesn't want to step on anyone's dick in mexico and lose possible future shots. How many of these assholes still hold seats in government, we're only talking 20-30 years ago...

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
What was the point of that weirdass scene of the two politician brothers killing the maid in 1951?
So I just came across this episode and did a little more digging. He also killed his sister along with the maid and was a big controversy. Don't know why they leave that out of the show. Basically the maid took the part of the sister.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
some interesting changes apparently. first the brothers AND maid were much younger then shown. 5 and 3. The maid was 12. Carlos the 3 year old, shot her.

So it happened, and was a huge scandal. Narcos kindof framed it as if the kids were born psychos. Reality seems more like just really young kids playing with guns they shouldn't have had access too.

I don't see any mention of the sister. Adriana Salinas is still alive I think?

Caliane

looks like they messed with the timeline, and GREATLY under stated what happened with Palma's wife/kids.

Palma was arrested in the U.S. in 1978 and sentenced to 8 years.
in 1989 The Arellano Felix brothers, not Gallardo set Clavel to seduce his wife. He got her to take the kids and leave with him. He then made her withdraw 7$million USD, beheaded her, and sent her head to Palma in a box. Two weeks later he threw the kids off the bridge.
Palma was still in prison. but did order Clavel killed. ( as well has his lawyer and clavels 3 children)

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Most alterations to story/cast/parties involved are likely done to protect production.

Some things are off limits and will remain so.

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
Just binged the new season and I really really liked it. I can't get into other series about this kind of shit. This is done so well, it's hard to take any of the other series as seriously.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
There's a 4 part factual documentary series coming out on Prime on the 15th May that's about Kiki Camarena. Might be interesting for folks that enjoyed Narcos.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

dizzie

Triggered Happy
The Last Narc wasn't released and was pulled by Amazon yesterday for some reason. All the official trailers were pulled on Wednesday which I thought was strange as I relinked the RT trailer above when it went down.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
There's a 4 part factual documentary series coming out on Prime on the 15th May that's about Kiki Camarena. Might be interesting for folks that enjoyed Narcos.
Do you guys think it is true what they are saying in that documentary ? That the USA secret services are protecting the Narcos ?
I mean, is it true to this day ?

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Do you guys think it is true what they are saying in that documentary ? That the USA secret services are protecting the Narcos ?

No idea as I can't watch the documentary, it's showing as not available.

Caliane

yes. There are US agency's that are funding, supply, backing mexican and SA narcos in efforts to undermine other cartels, and/or insurgency, and/or legitimate goverments.
they are of course doing this same shit in the Middle east. and its all working out great for everyone.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
The Last Narc documentary has finally been released on Prime (or the usual places). Only 1 episode in and they are interviewing lots of people who worked with Kiki Camarena and tells quite a bit about the cartels featured in this show.

Might be interesting if you've been following Narcos: Mexico.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I haven't watched this documentary but while CIA has multiple skeletons and while the war on drugs is still a hot topic nowadays, I don't think there's actual protection going on today, at least in a official or semi-official capacity. Cartels do their business, federal agencies do sting operations (drugs / guns on the table, photo ops, etc) in a Pax Romana way.

History has proven that any time you take some cartel down, some other guys would rise up (nature abhors a vaccum), most of the time by piling corpses on the streets and do turf wars. It's attention governements don't want. That would make some politicians reluctant to actually enforce the war on drugs, in an active capacity anyway. Speaking again about Pax Romana, when cartels can conduct their business and law enforcement agencies can show drug seizures on the table, everyone's happy.

I'd agree with Caliane Caliane 's opinion, there's definitely stuff going on behind the curtains even nowadays but I don't think it's sanctioned on some large, federal scale. Especially since 9/11 when war on terror kind of shadowed the war on drugs for a lof of US law enforcement agencies. Whether it's Mexico, Colombia or Nicaragua, there's no real political incentive anymore funding rebels / cartels. I mean it's not like there's a big red scare anymore in South America.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Only watched the first episode of the last narc so far and man it's good. At first I was just like ok this is some good supplemental stuff to the show and then 20 minutes in it starts to get a little intense and then get darker and darker. Then at the end of the first episodes cliff hanger your just fucking angry. The fact that these are the real people telling the story is really awesome.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Watched the last narc last night, couldn't stop once I started. It's really good, highly recommended.