Narcos

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hahaha yeah I saw that scene with Escobar and immediately was like, damn I'm gonna go re-watch seasons 1-3 now cause it has been a while.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Finished this, pretty strong season but I feel like it was more a filler season leading up to next season. If they go full on rise of el chapo while delta members are assassinating drug kingpins it's gonna fucken rock.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I keep trying to watch this, just not pulling me into the story this season. Loved the previous ones. I'm on the 3rd episode and keep turning it off.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I get that. The earlier seasons focus on drug lords who really escalated shit to the next level. Miguel is bound by the government because he never takes it to the next level. And in the first season we see Pablo bomb motherfuckers because they try to flex nuts.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The tension and suspense in the first 3 seasons was executed almost to perfection. It was masterfully done. The tension and suspense in the 3 episodes I've watched in this season fall really flat. What exactly were we supposed to be feeling during that attempted church raid at the beginning of episode 1? We don't know any of the characters and suddenly ultra cool under pressure local policeman shows up. I don't get that scene at all. I have no idea what it was trying to convey to me. Even after he goes to his house and we see the truth about the character it was still kind of a pointless scene.

iannis

Musty Nester
He's a corrupt local cop who went in there to rescue his brother from the feds. And he put on a big show about being a hardass so that they would let him take his brother away, trusting that the local guy who hates him would fuck the guy up and bury him -- because now he has an excuse that the town will accept. But yeah, I get what you mean and sort of agree. It's meant to convey (which is starting to appear in later episodes) that he's a guy who's fairly good at putting on the act someone expects to see from him and using that to further his own goals. But really he's just sort of a regular guy who knows how big his goal is. You know, he'll play the part to get the job done type of thing.

I haven't finished this season yet either. I like it, but it doesn't have the "I MUST BINGE THIS" that the other 3 did.

It's still damn fine television, and i'll finish it sometime. It's not as immediately interesting. Still interesting though.

I think it might even be because of the structure. For the first three we had "white guy newbie hardass" narrating, he was our insert, and it gradually switched over into the other guy. This one doesn't have that narrative hook. We don't really have an insert. This is just a story. Very good story, I think, and well told so far.

Last edited:

dizzie

Triggered Happy
The second season of Narcos: Mexico is released on the 13th Feb.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
I am on episode 4 right now. Watched them at work, instead of working.
Good stuff, seems better than S1 so far, the narrative branching out to different plazza bosses helps a lot.

Khane

So, least for me, they edited Carlos Salinas de Gortari's name out of the show. They bleep it out whenever a character speaks it and it's blank text in the subtitles.

This season is good, I didn't like the beginning of Mexico S1 but it came around in the end and this one is becoming as good as the Colombian seasons. The scenes with Pacho are great.

Khane

Yea, I don't know if the character is written to feel lifeless and devoid of any real emotion or human characteristics, or if that's just the way the actor portrays him. He probably was a sociopath IRL but he doesn't feel like a sociopath on screen. He feels like a marionette. The rest of the cast is really great though. Especially Acosta.

I would put this season at an 8/10 and even if it turns out to be a 6/10 for you it's worth watching because it's setting the stage for S3, which I think is going to be very good.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Probably the best series on Netflix - The Mexico stuff is hard to compare to Colombia but I find it just as compelling. They set such a high watermark the first two seasons though, and you had more larger than life characters. Really pumped for S4