NBA 2013?14 Season

Djay

Trakanon Raider
You don't think trading Love for the Lakers #7 pick and whatever expiring contracts would be better than letting him walk?

I'm honestly asking. Like all NBA fans I don't know a whole lot about the Timberwolves.
I would consider that trade. The #7 pick in this year's draft is gonna be a really good player. Then you hope you lose enough this year to get another high draft pick in next year's draft. I wouldn't do it for future picks, though. Any team adding Love won't be sending back lottery picks any time soon. If any of the top 7 or 8 teams in the draft this year would give up that pick for Love, I'd consider it.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
You're wrong though. Mirotic/Butler and either Boozer or Gibson to fill salary is the better deal. Not a single player discussed in any of these deals has the potential that Nikola does and Butler is a young, serviceable wing, who is already better than Barnes will ever be and potentially better than Klay (I'll surely admit to Thompson having higher potential). One less year on either of those big contracts compared to Lee too.Taking onsalary as part of trading Love just seems asinine to me.

Late first rounders would come in either deal. The lucky thing for you is Flip is dumb and doesn't agree with me, but between those two packages the Chicago one is far superior. And its nowhere close if you're sticking to this insane idea that Klay Thompson is untouchable.
I'm not saying the deal the Warriors have on the table (or what most are guessing is on the table) is better, I'm saying if they offered Klay in addition it would definitely be.

I don't claim to know anything about Mirotic. He looks like another big slow Euro with some shooting ability and skills. More often than not those guys don't translate well to the NBA. Some make it, but I wouldn't bet on it.

As far Butler being better than Barnes will ever be that's ridiculous. He may end up the better player, but that is very much in question as well. Barnes had a really bad sophomore slump but he does have a lot of talent and has shown flashes of it in big games even. He had multiple 20+ point games in competitive playoff games as a 20 year old rookie and looked like he was on the right track, but when the Warriors got Iguodala I think it was a big hit to Barnes' confidence. I think there's a good chance he has a strong bounce back season this year wherever he plays. To really put into perspective how ridiculous your statement is: Barnes will be the same age this season as Butler was in his rookie season when he hardly played and averaged 2 ppg. That year Butler hardly played and averaged 2 ppg. Barnes' development curve has been ahead of Butler's, but more to the point they are completely different types of players (Butler has a good motor, Barnes is more skilled) and it's simply stupid to say "Butler is better now than Barnes will ever be."

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
As far Butler being better than Barnes will ever be that's ridiculous. He may end up the better player, but that is very much in question as well. Barnes had a really bad sophomore slump but he does have a lot of talent and has shown flashes of it in big games even. He had multiple 20+ point games in competitive playoff games as a 20 year old rookie and looked like he was on the right track, but when the Warriors got Iguodala I think it was a big hit to Barnes' confidence. I think there's a good chance he has a strong bounce back season this year wherever he plays. To really put into perspective how ridiculous your statement is: Barnes will be the same age this season as Butler was in his rookie season when he hardly played and averaged 2 ppg. That year Butler hardly played and averaged 2 ppg. Barnes' development curve has been ahead of Butler's, but more to the point they are completely different types of players (Butler has a good motor, Barnes is more skilled) and it's simply stupid to say "Butler is better now than Barnes will ever be."
We're just going to have to agree to disagree about Klay Thompson, man. I don't disagree that he's good. I just don't think he's that good. And I think its absurd to think he could potentially be the holdup for a deal that nets you Kevin Love. I would feel sorry for your team if that's the case. I still prefer Mirotic's potential, Butler's immediate impact/youth and Boozer/Gibson's expiring over Klay/Barnes/Lee. The Chicago deal gives us 2 pieces for the future (plus draft picks) where yours gives us one plus an extra year of overpaying a player that won't be part of the core.

Butler better than Barnes: Not absurd at all. He was bad in college he has been bad through two full NBA seasons. Sure, he's 22 and has a couple years left to improve, but the track record for bad players suddenly becoming good isn't great. He's the next OJ Mayo. Some team will pay him 9 million based on his high school recruiting stock. He will never, ever be worth that much money. I would bet massive amount of money on him never becoming a productive NBA player.

Butler, on the other hand, has two full seasons of very productive NBA play under his belt. It's very likely he continues to be a productive two way wing in the NBA. Barnes has one "skill" which is scoring and through 4k NBA minutes he's been exceptionally shitty at it. He's on your team, you love him, he's young and still has potential. I get it. Nothing, absolutely nothing about his track record after high school has justified the hype.

Ambituner, my point is that we're in a similar place with a mid lottery pick or without it. But, if you're telling me that we somehow can see into the future and it's 100% for sure that Love will walk away from that 5th year then sure, I'd trade him for a draft pick and a young player but nothing that will actually help us get wins in the short term. With Love gone we really have to bottom out again. You just can't guarantee that 100%. Even if it's something like 10% I still dare him to do it. 20 million is a lot of money for a 25 year old to say no to and hes so incredibly better than anything returning it's not a huge deal to take the risk. That's all I'm saying. You're right though I would rather get something than nothing if the hypothetical that we know with absolute certainty that he is leaving.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I love watching Norris Cole hold the ball for 14 seconds then jack up a contested 19 footer. I don't care that he made it WTF was that.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Butler better than Barnes: Not absurd at all. He was bad in college he has been bad through two full NBA seasons. Sure, he's 22 and has a couple years left to improve, but the track record for bad players suddenly becoming good isn't great. He's the next OJ Mayo. Some team will pay him 9 million based on his high school recruiting stock. He will never, ever be worth that much money. I would bet massive amount of money on him never becoming a productive NBA player.

Butler, on the other hand, has two full seasons of very productive NBA play under his belt. It's very likely he continues to be a productive two way wing in the NBA. Barnes has one "skill" which is scoring and through 4k NBA minutes he's been exceptionally shitty at it. He's on your team, you love him, he's young and still has potential. I get it. Nothing, absolutely nothing about his track record after high school has justified the hype.
I love how you classify Butler as having "two full seasons of very productive play under his belt" then turn around and say Barnes will "never be a productive player." As a 20 year old rookie the guy played 38 MPG in two playoff series and averaged 16 pts 6 rebs. Is that not being a productive player in your world? Did he peak at 20?? It's not that you said Butler is better now, you said Butler is better now than Barnes will ever be. For scoring 13 ppg on <40% shooting and playing a little D? He's not even a good rebounder. And yes, Barnes shot <40% this season as well, but there are a number of reasons why I don't think that'll happen again any time soon. And for him it was a horrible, shitty season, but for Jimmy Butler I guess it makes him a "very productive NBA player."

Szlia

James is doing a Lee Chong-Wei: the air conditioning is broken, but he did not adjust his water intake so he is cramping. It happened to the World N?1 Badminton player when facing his arch rival Lin Dan in the latest world championship final.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Obviously the fix is in. The NBA didn't want the Heat to win in San Antonio, so they made sure to kill the AC in order to give the Spurs a better chance.

Zzen

Potato del Grande
So many classic Bron Bron gifs inc from this game. Get that man some Midol, he got the cramps.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I have to say right now I miss whats his name.

23 turnovers now

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Antisocial Kobe ?@AntisocialKobe 3m
ahahahahhaah what a fucking BITCH! Don't ever compare that fool to me again. EVER

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Obviously the fix is in. The NBA didn't want the Heat to win in San Antonio, so they made sure to kill the AC in order to give the Spurs a better chance.
There's no part of my thought process that believes this. This is a dangerous situation that will screw you as much as the other team. Sweat dripping on the floor, causing injury from slipping, sweaty hands causing turnovers, etc. The other thing is that your fans are sweltering, and an uncomfortable crowd is nowhere near as loud as they could be, taking an advantage away from the home team.

But if you meant that for Gaige...then yeah, totally rigged.

penalty_sl

shitlord
I cant wait for next game when all the lights go off in the spurs stadium due to unforeseen circumstances, and the spurs players all flick on their headlamps.