NBA 2013?14 Season

Juvarisx

Florida
He has the power to fine him for the max (which he did) and ban him for life (which he also did). Forcing him to sell is what peoiple are not sure can be done yet.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
He can't be forced to sell, but he can be fined and banned from games. Now, whether the courts/an arbitrator determines that the punishment is reasonable is another question.
The real pressure needs to come from the sponsors refusing to support the team and the Clippers fans refusing to go to games or buy merchandise until he sells the team.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
They are saying that he has to get 3/4 of the other owners to approve of forcing him to sell. Again, he sounds like a bigoted piece of shit; but are the other owners going to set a precedent where something they say or think that riles the public can be used to force them to sell their team with no set process of accusation and defense?

The real pressure needs to come from the sponsors refusing to support the team and the Clippers fans refusing to go to games or buy merchandise until he sells the team.
This was my reasoning. If the fans, sponsors, and public find this so offensive then they need to be the ones that determine what happens next. Either all that support wanes, he goes deep into the red, and has to sell the team before it tanks; or he still makes money and actions speak louder than words.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What power does the NBA have over an owner that allows them to issue a fine for something that owner said? I imagine many NBA players have said much worse and haven't been issued such a fine, at least not the max. As for selling the team, didn't Silver say that the NBA's owners could force that to occur if 3/4th of them agree on that?

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
What power does the NBA have over an owner that allows them to issue a fine for something that owner said? I imagine many NBA players have said much worse and haven't been issued such a fine, at least not the max. As for selling the team, didn't Silver say that the NBA's owners could force that to occur if 3/4th of them agree on that?
He's probably doing it under the 'best interest of the league' clause, saying his comments and his very presence is detrimental to not only the team, but the league. There is precedent for this (although in a different league), think Marge Schott of the Reds.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I must have missed the 3/4 thing. When I heard he couldn't be forced to sell, that must have just been from the commissioner, I guess.

Edit* The NBA doesn't have the power MLB has in that regard...that was part of the discussion where I heard he couldn't be forced to sell.

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
I must have missed the 3/4 thing. When I heard he couldn't be forced to sell, that must have just been from the commissioner, I guess.

Edit* The NBA doesn't have the power MLB has in that regard...that was part of the discussion where I heard he couldn't be forced to sell.
I think the owners have the authority to basically vote the Clippers are no longer part of the league. That would be worse because that franchise would be worth $0.00

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
It's the same power a hoa has. You either accept to play by their rules, or you can't buy a team. The NBA has fined Mark Cuban a hundred times for things he has said. This is nothing new and players/coaches get fined all the time for things they say.

dak

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Guy worth $2 billion loses his hobby over a private recording taken by a vindictive gold digger. That's what he gets for thinking with his dick and living in America. He lost some property not too long ago to another gold digging prostitute. The current gold digger is actually in the process of being sued by his wife on the charges of essentially being a whore. Pretty sure he is firmly planted in the "I'm old, rich and don't give a shit" phase of his life.

Glad he can't "hurt" the NBA further by running a successful team for almost four decades, but he still owns thousands of low rent tenements in predominantly black areas across the country. Watch him raise all the rents out of spite.

Anyways, I bet if the recording was him saying "I want to kill all the Palestinians" this wouldn't have even made the news.

Badabidi_sl

shitlord
Guy worth $2 billion loses his hobby over a private recording taken by a vindictive gold digger. That's what he gets for thinking with his dick and living in America. He lost some property not too long ago to another gold digging prostitute. The current gold digger is actually in the process of being sued by his wife on the charges of essentially being a whore. Pretty sure he is firmly planted in the "I'm old, rich and don't give a shit" phase of his life.

Glad he can't "hurt" the NBA further by running a successful team for almost four decades, but he still owns thousands of low rent tenements in predominantly black areas across the country. Watch him raise all the rents out of spite.

Anyways, I bet if the recording was him saying "I want to kill all the Palestinians" this wouldn't have even made the news.
'Merica. This guy was a NAACP philanthropist until what, 5 days ago? It's a fucking joke really. But who gives a shit, some white guy doesn't like blacks, people knew about it and did nothing until TMZ told everyone and their mother about it. Now they suddenly care.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Warriors over Mavs in '07 was much more of an upset then Nets or Raptors beating the Heat
Maybe? - their head coach was both Dirk's and Avery Johnson's mentor and knew exactly how to beat them, and he had the players to frustrate Dirk at that point of his career.

Also, the 06' and 07' Mavs weren't really that good of a team historically. Yeah they made it to the Finals (only to get jobbed by corrupt refs) but the league in general was weak - Lakers were bad, LeBron was young, no KD - it was pretty much just Mavs and Spurs as good teams in those two years until the Gasol trade happened.

The Heat have 3 HoF players, maybe 4 if you think Bosh gets in. Dirk's best team mate back then was Josh freaking Howard. Now that the Spurs have looked vulnerable in postseason play (time to gameplan, time for rest, more value on roleplayers stepping up - although the Spurs won't face another coach as good as Carlisle if they advance), it would be a huge disappointment if they don't three-peat.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
If the fans, sponsors, and public find this so offensive then they need to be the ones that determine what happens next. Either all that support wanes, he goes deep into the red, and has to sell the team before it tanks; or he still makes money and actions speak louder than words.
The Clippers have lost Amtrak, Red Bull, Kia and a slew of other companies as a sponsor. Do they have anyone left?

The team is worth more with him gone, time to sell.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Mavs had the league's best record and lost to the 8 seed who was barely over .500. The team that best them then got destroyed by the mediocre Jazz. The Raptors/Nets have both been playing great since January and the Heat haven't been nearly as good as they were the last couple of years. Their 2 seed losing to a 4 or 5 wouldn't be nearly as much of an upset

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
The Clippers have lost Amtrak, Red Bull, Kia and a slew of other companies as a sponsor. Do they have anyone left?

The team is worth more with him gone, time to sell.
I agree and I'm not trying to defend him. I'm trying to make sure that a dangerous business precedent isn't set over some old idiots personal beliefs.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Raptors beating the Heat would be a bigger upset, the Nets not so only because of all the veteran talent on that team. The 06-07 Mavs had Dirk and a great record, but essentially zero all-stars other than him. The Heat are two-time defending champs with the best player in the league and a few other hall of famers to boot, nobody cares or will remember what they did during the regular season.

The 06-07 Warriors were essentially a different team after the mid-season trade where they dealt Dunleavy and Troy Murphy for Stephen Jackson and Al Harrington, so their overall record wasn't indicative as to how good they were, not even considering the fact that that conference was more difficult to play in than the one the Raptors had to play in this year. That same Warriors team as they were constructed at the end of the season probably wins 48+ (50+ imo) games themselves if you were to put them in the Eastern Conference this year. They didn't get destroyed by a mediocre Jazz team. They choked away the first game in Utah and couldn't recover against a team that exploited their biggest weakness (lack of physical interior play) with guys like Boozer and Millsapp.

The Raptors this year were expected to be a lottery team even in the absolutely horrible East. It's great how well they did when nobody gave them any chance, but put them in the west and they win at least 5 fewer games, maybe don't even reach 40.

Wvc8PLB.png

So, you ban him AND fine him 2.5 million? Here's the thing, he didn't do anything illegal so good luck seeing that 2.5 million.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Wvc8PLB.png

So, you ban him AND fine him 2.5 million? Here's the thing, he didn't do anything illegal so good luck seeing that 2.5 million.
He violated code and conduct clauses he signed when taking the team. They will see their money with no issues what so ever.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Wvc8PLB.png

That 2.5mil is pocket change to Sterling. He most likely won't fight that part of it. If anything he will try to sue to keep the team but fail. He is an ego maniac and losing the team will deal the hugest blow to him. If 75% of the owners vote him out then there's nothing Sterling or his army of lawyers can do to save him. None of his family/friends can take the team either since the NBA has a say in who buys a team and they will not let anyone associated with him get the Clippers.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That 2.5mil is pocket change to Sterling. He most likely won't fight that part of it. If anything he will try to sue to keep the team but fail. He is an ego maniac and losing the team will deal the hugest blow to him. If 75% of the owners vote him out then there's nothing Sterling or his army of lawyers can do to save him. None of his family/friends can take the team either since the NBA has a say in who buys a team and they will not let anyone associated with him get the Clippers.
He can sue for breach of contract and antitrust violations. Nothing his army of lawyers can do... lol, ya ok.