NBA 2013?14 Season

What spawned this Jordan conversation?
I said that with Rose being out basically two complete seasons in a row that the bulls should just move on since he won't ever be the same player he was with that much time spent away from the game (not even factoring two shitty knees). Ambituner then linked a Jordan pick as someone who had come back from a two year absence and was still playing at the same/better level then he did when he left. That isn't true, but he seems to think it is.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I said that with Rose being out basically two complete seasons in a row that the bulls should just move on since he won't ever be the same player he was with that much time spent away from the game (not even factoring two shitty knees). Ambituner then linked a Jordan pick as someone who had come back from a two year absence and was still played at the same/better level then he did when he left. That isn't true, but he seems to think it is.
Yep the Bulls definitely should have blown up the team and not resigned Jordan. Good call. Usually armchair GM is easy when you have hindsight on your side

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Oh ok. Rose isn't anywhere near as good as people think he is anyway. I don't think looking toward the future would be a bad idea for them.

Yep the Bulls definitely should have blown up the team and not resigned Jordan. Good call
So far off the point. Jordan being a lesser player then he was just means he was 5 times better then anyone else on the floor instead of ten or twenty times better. The same skill degradation from Rose in addition to probably never being physically right again would make him the third or fourth best player on the floor some nights. You just can't compare the two players at all.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I never said or implied Rose was anywhere close to Jordan. Just the idea that 2 years is "too much" especially because Jordan was 32 when he came back and I think Rose is 25. Any degradation in ability would be based on his knees and only his knees

joz123

Potato del Grande
Nets arent gonna make it to the playoffs anyway, Kidd might as well phone it in from home at this point.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nets out of timeouts tonight, J Kidd pulls a fast one!

54546-Cheers-Toast-gif-OLQT.gif

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, didn'tquiteget away with it

Jason Kidd was slapped with a big fine for his forced timeout | FOX Sports on MSN

JJason Kidd's acting skills either need to be worked on or forgotten about because his antics from Wednesday have officially cost him big bucks.

The league slapped him with a $50,000 fine Thursday, one day after he appeared to intentionally spill a drink on the court to gain a free timeout in the closing seconds of a game against the Lakers, a move at once ingenious and ridiculous. The fine was first reported by Yahoo's Adrian Wojnarowski.

When he realized his team was trailing close to the end of regulation, Kidd was just trying to do what all coaches should do: Get their team to win the game. He wanted to get one more timeout so his staff could draw up one more play. The only problem is, Kidd was out of timeouts, and so he went about it in the most desperate way possible.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Ugh. If the Warriors are missing one starter they're almost guaranteed to lose the game unless it's against a garbage team.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Ending was strange, the officials went to check if it was a 3 but then left the clock at .1 when it should have clearly been .4 left and did nothing to change it.

Still, amazing ending.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
KD tonight: 32 points, 10 rebounds, 12 assists, 4 blocks and 4 steals in a win over Minnesota.

Joins Michael Jordan as the only player in NBA history with 30+ points, 10+ rebounds, 10+ assists, 4+ blocks and 4+ steals since steals/blocks became official stats.

Szlia

While we are talking about records, here is a question: Steals and blocks are counted since the mid-'70s and the only four quadruple double in the NBA happened between then and the mid-'90s, so what changed in the past 20 years for it to no longer occur? Or is it such a freak accident that looking at it from a statistical point of view is pointless?

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
While we are talking about records, here is a question: Steals and blocks are counted since the mid-'70s and the only four quadruple double in the NBA happened between then and the mid-'90s, so what changed in the past 20 years for it to no longer occur? Or is it such a freak accident that looking at it from a statistical point of view is pointless?
I'm going to guess it's because they stopped hand-checking and let defenses play zone. There was actually a ban on zone defenses in the NBA until the 2001-2002 season. I'd also say better practice and conditioning resulted in better ball handling and shooting that results in less blocks/steals.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Rockets beat the Spurs in San Antonio a couple days ago. That was the Spurs first home lost of the year and I think that is the first Rockets win in San Antonio in a good while.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I'm going to guess it's because they stopped hand-checking and let defenses play zone. There was actually a ban on zone defenses in the NBA until the 2001-2002 season. I'd also say better practice and conditioning resulted in better ball handling and shooting that results in less blocks/steals.
Plus in the last 10 years or so, guards have developed that little floater that nobody was doing before. Harder to block that shot.
I'd combine that with the overall quality of Centers in the league going down. I'm not going to look it up, but I think David Robinson has one of those quadruple-doubles and maybe Hakeem was another? We don't have centers like those guys anymore. Since that generation of Centers retired, we really haven't had more than 1-2 great centers in the league at one time. You had Shaq...1-2 years where Yao was really good. Howard now? Hibbert?
And it's just an insane accomplishment. It's not like 4 times in 20 years to 0 in 20 years is really a statistically significant drop-off when you consider how many games are played.