NBA 2013?14 Season

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
The only thing that makes me think it won't be Magic (and his investment group, since by himself he can't afford an NBA team) is: wouldn't it be awkward to write a check for several hundred million to a person you hate that much?
Magic owns a small percentage of the Lakers does that get in the way of this at all? I suppose he could sell that.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
It was a requirement of being in the new ownership group of the Dodgers. MLB does not allow ownership of multiple sports franchises in the same market, which means if the speculation that he could be included in any new ownership of the Clippers ends up being accurate, he'll be selling off his stake in the Dodgers.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
It is a shame OKC is constructed so poorly. You have a PG whose whole game is driving and your best player is double or triple teamed every time he touched the ball. How are there not 3 shooters on the floor around them at all times?
You mean like Jeremy Lamb and Perry Jones III?They haven't played one fucking minute of playoff basketball between them this year.Brooks is so scared to take out his veterns with thier "veteran attitude" that he won't give his guys with fresh legs and 10 less years of fatigue any playing time.

If OKC goes out in a round 1 and Brooks is fired as a result, net positive result.
Agreed. KD and Westbrook are already worn out because he cannot take them off the floor; even if they pulled it out in 7 they would most likely get bounced by the next team because of the exact same problems we are discussing now plus the fact that they've already played an extra half game worth of OT.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You mean like Jeremy Lamb and Perry Jones III?They haven't played one fucking minute of playoff basketball between them this year.Brooks is so scared to take out his veterns with thier "veteran attitude" that he won't give his guys with fresh legs and 10 less years of fatigue any playing time.
Meanwhile, Houston's best crunch time player is a 2nd year player who just shot the first free throws of his career in OT of game 4 of the playoffs. The NBA, where nothing makes sense.

Psypher_sl

shitlord
The only thing that makes me think it won't be Magic (and his investment group, since by himself he can't afford an NBA team) is: wouldn't it be awkward to write a check for several hundred million to a person you hate that much?
Not really. Consider that anyone who buys it is going to get somewhat of a bargain since the price is going to be lower due to being forced to sell it. He won't be able to shop around and maximize the selling price. You'll see anyone interested come in with low bids. He's still making a killing from his purchase price, but anyone buying them will have a big ass grin after they sign the papers. Especially Magic considering it was his picture with the GF that was involved.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I doubt anyone will get out for a bargain price. You're buying a very good team with young marketable talent playing in the second biggest market. If anything I see this selling for a lot more than the $400 number I've seen floating around.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Considering he only paid 12.5 million for them and would still clear some 400+ million on top of being worth some 2 billion, I doubt he cares about the money. Being forced to sell would hit him harder than any monetary loss. Billionaires don't own sports teams to make money.
He owns it for the status of being an owner. That's over, he's not allowed in the building now.

In economic terms, his mouth just cost him $100 million. Was it worth it?

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not really. Consider that anyone who buys it is going to get somewhat of a bargain since the price is going to be lower due to being forced to sell it. He won't be able to shop around and maximize the selling price. You'll see anyone interested come in with low bids. He's still making a killing from his purchase price, but anyone buying them will have a big ass grin after they sign the papers. Especially Magic considering it was his picture with the GF that was involved.
There will be no bargain price on a team in L.A., when the Milwaukee Bucs just went for $550 million. The taint is gone with a new owner, and it will be priced accordingly. You'll have different groups get into a bidding war, which will drive the price up. I don't see less than $700 million, maybe closer to $1B.

Any team in a major city will be highly coveted.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Glad he can't "hurt" the NBA further by running a successful team for almost four decades, but he still owns thousands of low rent tenements in predominantly black areas across the country. Watch him raise all the rents out of spite.
Maybe you're not familiar with the NBA but the Clippers have been one of the worst teams until very recently. Successfully financially because Sterling was cheap. Maybe old age made him want to spend more, but don't act like he was a model owner in terms of creating a good basketball product.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
Maybe you're not familiar with the NBA but the Clippers have been one of the worst teams until very recently. Successfully financially because Sterling was cheap. Maybe old age made him want to spend more, but don't act like he was a model owner in terms of creating a good basketball product.
The Clippers were the subject of a news report, maybe Outside the Lines, about how Sterling still made tons of money without ever attempting to field a good team.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Experts are predicting $1B+. Nobody is getting a deal. People will be fighting over the right to buy the franchise.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
The Clippers were the subject of a news report, maybe Outside the Lines, about how Sterling still made tons of money without ever attempting to field a good team.
Yeah they were essentially a D league team for a long time where they'd always draft top end talent but make no effort to sign those players after their rookie deals were up. I'm not sure how long the salary floor has existed but Sterling would essentially keep player costs as low as possible and that losing team would still turn over a profit in LA.

Good business I guess but that's the exact type of owner you don't want in the NBA. Everyone has known he is racists forever too, this is just the straw that broke the back with how public it went.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I don't think being forced to sell will hurt the price too much. This is still a super rare commodity in a great market.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
They just showed an interview with LeBron talking about how the players are going to spend whatever money it takes to get this guy gone.