NBA 2015-2016 Season thread

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
MVP talk gets murky when you have a player like Curry that is individually great, but much of his benefit is on the team game, especially when he's actually a point guard (not just in the position due to size). Sometimes, like over the course of the regular season, he's the best player on the team and the most valuable. But sometimes a smaller sample size shows other players are better stat-wise which is what we usually use to determine bestness, especially in a tough playoff series where the other team is focusing on shutting him down and he needs other players to step up. But that's his game at it's core. Yeah, he's a lights out shooter, but he's still a point guard focusing on distributing and running the offense on the court and I believe an off-court heart of the team the way Green is (sometimes) on the court.

When a players core game is making other players and the team better directly, not just indirectly by their individual greatness, can we really fault them when the rest of the team does exactly what their point guard is trying to get them to do? It might sound strange, but sometimes I almost think Curry would get more credit if he weren't such a good shooter because then when he had an off night or tough series everyone wouldn't just look at his shooting stats and wonder what was wrong with him but still focus on all the other things he'd be doing that a true point guard is supposed to do.

MVP on a team that is so team oriented isn't ever very clear.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I agree with all of that, pops, but the only thing I'd add is that Green does that same thing on defense. He's the captain of the team on that side of the ball. They're double teams and rotations are all centered around Green's versatility as a defender.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
And that is exactly why - even with the cold shooting in the second half - I think the Warriors would have won Game 5 if he played. His defense would not have given up 61 points in the first half. No way.

thefaceless

Golden Squire
Was he playing in those games vs OKC giving up 70+ points a half twice? Don't get me wrong he's a great defender, but I really think he just fits extremely well on golden state. He'd be just another defense oriented player on basically any other team. His passing is above average at his position. He gets a lot of assists just being on a team with Steph and Klay and the spacing they provide. He's very aggressive with the ball, and it works when teams can't leave their guy for an open 3. How a team fits can be all that matters though, and he fits perfectly with the warriors.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I have a hard time arguing against that point. That's what my eye tells me too. He's a perfect fit on GS and that's why he contributes so much.

The disconnect is just in how much advanced stats love the guy. And seriously, he's off the charts there. His competition for top RAPM in the league this year was Westbrook, Kawhi, CP3, Curry and James. RAPM isn't a box score stat that over values rebounds.

NBA Real Plus-Minus - National Basketball Association - ESPN

It's really hard to see him that high on this list and just disregard him as the outlier. Simply put, the Warriors playmuchbetter when he is on the court than when he isn't. And few players in the entire league have that level of impact on their teams.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I don't think we'll really know the answer until these players go their separate ways eventually.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, I don't think we'll really know the answer until these players go their separate ways eventually.
This is probably right. Curry and Green might both be in the perfect situation, as their respective play compliments eachother.

Szlia

So.... I missed this quarter. What happened? The Warriors team got stuck in traffic so they played the first quarter with Warriors fans picked in the public?

Djay

Trakanon Raider
So.... I missed this quarter. What happened? The Warriors team got stuck in traffic so they played the first quarter with Warriors fans picked in the public?
Draymond hit himself in the nuts and got kicked out.

Jozu

14 pt game. My Cavs rambling last week is starting to look less retarded right about now.

If Cavs close this game out at home, they have 2 wins in a row against this team, something that NEVER happens. Add in the fact they beat them in California Game 5 and now Game 7 is looking a lot more juicy from a fans point of view as it would be projected to be a high stakes game where anyone could potentially win.

Jozu

Holy shit...is Draymond the fastest player on the court? He just went coast to coast for the athletic finish in all of 3 seconds. Wow that boy can cover some ground.