NBA 2016 Off-Season Thread

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
A day removed from the Dunn pick and I still struggle to get behind it. We apparently turned down Lavine and Dunn for Butler in addition to that insane 76ers offer. Noel and Covington start on this team day one and give me control of 24 and 26, pick Dejounte Murray and Deyonta Davis. Deal. Feel like we wiffed on two opportunities to make this team noticeably better. Reading between the lines, Thibs must not like Rubio as much as I think he should and I worry about that too.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You're not making sense. The Thunder's primary starting lineup was WB Roberson (at the 2) Durant Ibaka Adams. If Oladipo replaces Waiters then he won't be in the starting lineup and the primary piece they got for Ibaka is a guy that won't even be starting (though would probably get a lot of crunchtime minutes in small ball lineups). If they replace Roberson in the starting lineup with Oladipo they've gotten a lot smaller at that position. If they replace Roberson with Oladipo and Ibaka with Ilyasova (probably what I'd do) then they've lost length at two of their starting positions, and as I said length was one of their great assets. If they start Kanter instead of Ilyasova, then they've lost a lot of mobility on D and can't stretch the floor much.

One reason why this might be great for OKC though... is I heard that Durant had mentored Oladipo since they were both from DC or something? So if it helps keep Durant around that of course trumps all.
I dont agree. They got rid of Harden when Presti realized he was going to be an impossible asset to keep happy and integrate in the team long term, not to mention being able to pay him Westbrook, and Durant. They netted Steven Adams for that trade who played critical minutes and isnt a viability when switching defensively (Ibaka was awesome at protecting the rim and blocking shots, but Adams is a fucking savage, the guy is able to shed screens and jump out on shooters/recover way better than Serge) not to mention Ibaka wasnt happy with Enes Kanter getting minutes. He was also going into a contract year, so the fact that they off-loaded him for Oladipo, Ilyasova, AND Arvidis Sarbonis' son! Sarbonis the Younger is a savage just like Adams and plays with such hustle he could turn out to be a monster asset and if Ibaka sucks dick with the Magic they will have won that trade asily.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
if Ibaka sucks dick with the Magic they will have won that trade asily.
So if the only player traded to the Magic sucks, they will lose that trade? Wow, I didn't see it that way at all.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Oladipo steps in immediately for Waiters/Roberson. He adds better offense, but most importantly a very match up based defensive strength. GS shoots the 3, Oladipo holds wing shooters from behind the arc to 28%. It's a phenomenal trade, especially if Sabonis transfers that dominant college rebounding to the pro game. I guess ORL is hoping Ibaka is a 3rd player for a franchise that hopes to pull Parsons & Howard/Horford in to the fray. I mean that organization usually does poorly for a reason.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
A day removed from the Dunn pick and I still struggle to get behind it. We apparently turned down Lavine and Dunn for Butler in addition to that insane 76ers offer. Noel and Covington start on this team day one and give me control of 24 and 26, pick Dejounte Murray and Deyonta Davis. Deal. Feel like we wiffed on two opportunities to make this team noticeably better. Reading between the lines, Thibs must not like Rubio as much as I think he should and I worry about that too.
I'm puzzled why they want to trade Rubio. He's an elite defensive PG(something I thought Thibs would covet) and his 3-point shot is respectable enough now that the players just can't not guard him anymore. Going into the season with both of them at PG is great I think. If they trade Rubio and Dunn doesn't pan out for some reason it'll be a major setback. Today, I've been reading is the deal was Rubio + the Fifth for Butler which makes no sense at all. I think the entire situation was Thibs and Paxson trolling each other and using the media to do it.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Although I think the deal we offered you guys was overly fair and you probably should have took it, I think Dunn is going to be that good of a player that I understand why they turned it down.. But, you'd think they'd have a better chance at Butler using all the assets from that trade and someone like Lavine on top to get him. I think Bulls were probably just listening and not dealing. I mean.. Noel, RoCo, Lavine, 24 and 26 for Butler?

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I'm puzzled why they want to trade Rubio. He's an elite defensive PG(something I thought Thibs would covet) and his 3-point shot is respectable enough now that the players just can't not guard him anymore. Going into the season with both of them at PG is great I think. If they trade Rubio and Dunn doesn't pan out for some reason it'll be a major setback. Today, I've been reading is the deal was Rubio + the Fifth for Butler which makes no sense at all. I think the entire situation was Thibs and Paxson trolling each other and using the media to do it.
My understanding is we offered Rubio and Dunn, Chicago countered asking for LaVine instead which we declined. If that is true I don't understand why.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think there is still a chance butler gets moved. My guess is the Bulls have a plan for FA and if it doesn't work out, they pull the trigger. If they can get Conley and say Horford or Whiteside, they'd probably have a pretty competitive team, assuming Mirotic takes that next step. but they need Butler to sell the bulls to FA's

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
To be fair, hasn't almost every major star declined their invite? Probably just trying to get anyone to come to Rio at this point!
nah.. they are still stacked.

Carmelo Antony F New York Knicks 3rd
Jimmy Butler SG Chicago Bulls 1st
DeMarcus Cousins C Sacramento Kings 1st
DeMar DeRozan SG Toronto Raptors 1st
Kevin Durant SF Oklahoma City Thunder 2nd
Paul George SF Indiana Pacers 1st
Draymond Green PF Golden State Warriors 1st
DeAndre Jordan C Los Angeles Clippers 1st
Kyle Lowry PG Toronto Raptors 1st
Klay Thompson SG Golden State Warriors 1st

Djay

Trakanon Raider
They better get some more point guards. I don't want Lowry overworked going into the season.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You're not making sense. The Thunder's primary starting lineup was WB Roberson (at the 2) Durant Ibaka Adams. If Oladipo replaces Waiters then he won't be in the starting lineup and the primary piece they got for Ibaka is a guy that won't even be starting (though would probably get a lot of crunchtime minutes in small ball lineups). If they replace Roberson in the starting lineup with Oladipo they've gotten a lot smaller at that position. If they replace Roberson with Oladipo and Ibaka with Ilyasova (probably what I'd do) then they've lost length at two of their starting positions, and as I said length was one of their great assets. If they start Kanter instead of Ilyasova, then they've lost a lot of mobility on D and can't stretch the floor much.

One reason why this might be great for OKC though... is I heard that Durant had mentored Oladipo since they were both from DC or something? So if it helps keep Durant around that of course trumps all.
I'm assuming they will move Oladipo into the starting lineup for Roberson and he will be guarding the 2 which is plenty big for. Roberson will be the 3 in their small ball lineup (Waiters was the 2). WB, Oladipo, Roberson, KD, Adams is a deadly lineup. That is how they will close games against 2 of their biggest competition, GSW and Cavs. They can still go big against the Spurs with Kanter and Adams. They just improved versus their 3 main opponents.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sounds like Sixers are interested in Waiters, Barnes and Crabbe. I'd prefer Crabbe the most. I'm ok if we get Barnes too even after his dreadful finals. We don't need stars, we need people with some experience that can fill roles and not be stars, but them targeting a guy like Barnes indicates to me the Sixers are still trying to trade a big and want to throw someone like Covington and Thompson in there as well.