NBA 2022-23 Season Thread - Wembanyama Tank-A-Thon Is On!

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Siakam is the correct move and I hope they make it. Luka, Spencer, Siakam, Finney-Smith and Wood would be very formidable. If they can retain Josh Green & Kleber as sixth men even better, but Masai will almost certainly want them both + THJ in a deal for Pascal.

Problem is that still leaves the Mavs back court pretty shallow so they’ll need to make a small move there - Derrick Rose? Also pick up a centre that can actually clean glass when necessary. Hartenstein? Maybe Bullock + Bertans + some 2RPs and a first round swap to the Knicks for Rose, Hartenstein & Reddish? Could you cut a deal with Orlando for Cole Anthony and Mo Bamba instead? Or is Jaden Hardy ready for the ball handler role next season?

Aside: To be fair to Cuban they tried gettingLuka help early with Tingus Pingus and that just went sideways. If they don’t make waves this summer I’ll be very shocked.

Everything I'm reading and hearing is that they don't see Wood as a long-term fit, which is a bit of a head-scratcher. Not very often you have an athletic big man who can shoot the way he does and score 30 pts, 10 reb, and 2 blks in a night. I get he isn't a great defender by any means, but he does rim-protect and offensively Luka and him on the floor together has been fantastic.

It seems like they want a more defensive minded center, who can rim run a bit, and block shots, and to find their offense from the guard and wing positions. Which I get that to a degree, but you better get some assets for Wood. I've seen Wood + Bullock + Bertans for something like Westbrook & a protected '27 1st from the Lakers.

I'm not moving the 1st rounders for anything less than Siakam, Rozier, or Bogdanovic. For Bogdanovic I'm only doing that if you're going all out to get both a Rozier-type, and Bogdanovic. Certainly not giving up a 1st for the Knicks deal. Hartenstein could be solid, but Rose and Reddish are just meh. I know the Knicks want Bullock, though.

If you could acquire both Rozier & Bogdanovic for the '25 & '27 1sts, some seconds and some salary matches, that's intriguing because then you keep Green & Hardy - the only issue at that point is that's your future with Luka.

Doncic, Rozier, Bogdanovic, Dorian Finney-Smith, Center - Dinwiddie, Hardy, Bullock, Kleber etc - You better be really sure you can win it all with that lineup, which with Luka you really might be able to. I prefer the, "get a 2nd bona fide star route, and then aim to convince one or two more really solid Top 50 players in free agency in two years" route.

I do really like what I see from Green & Hardy, worst case those guys look like staples. Hardy really looks like he could be a Jordan Poole-type player, and shows better defensive upside, and a better ability to get to the rim. Green could be an Iguodala-like player.

Why would you be shocked if they don't make waves this summer? They'll still be over the cap, with a bunch of overpaid role players, and no real assets to deal. The only way they could trade for Siakam is if they do one of those 3 firsts + 4 swaps trades.

If they make a trade for Siakam, it will certainly be something like:
Mavericks receive:
Pascal Siakam

Raptors receive:
'25, '27, '29 1st-round picks
Josh Green
Tim Hardaway Jr.
Davis Bertans
Two 1st-round pick swaps

If there is some magical way the Mavs could swing a deadline deal with them, maybe:
Mavericks:
Pascal Siakam

Raptors:
'27 & '29 1st-round picks
Three 1st-round pick swaps
Christian Wood
Josh Green
Dorian Finney-Smith/Tim Hardaway Jr.

I think Josh Green is/has played himself into a very, very intriguing asset. He completely revamped his shot, shows elite defensive potential, and can play make - that sort of wing player is insanely valuable. I'd love to keep him, but I'm sure they'd ask for him.

The Bulls and the Raptors are probably the key deadline teams to watch through the rest of this year, and the off-season. The Raptors have four pieces to really, really keep an eye on: Siakam, Anunoby, Trent Jr., and Van Fleet. I'd love a shot at any of those guys, in that order. Bulls obviously have DeRozan and LaVine.

All that being said, Nico knows this team needs a huge revamp. The off-season might just be a much better time to try and make that strike. If you can clear THJ, Bertans, and McGee while waiting, sign me up.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Why would you be shocked if they don't make waves this summer? They'll still be over the cap, with a bunch of overpaid role players, and no real assets to deal. The only way they could trade for Siakam is if they do one of those 3 firsts + 4 swaps trades.

Well cap space is a myth and the free agent market is mid this year anyway.

But yes, I fully expect them to spend the entirety of their available FRP stock this summer. They have no choice but to keep Luka happy, and if they want to keep him to the end of this contract they’ll need to open up the wallet so to speak. If they see a painful early playoff exit the urgency will only increase.

Expect to see the Mavs move picks with little to no protections before 2027 this summer to get maximum return to win now.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Everything I'm reading and hearing is that they don't see Wood as a long-term fit, which is a bit of a head-scratcher. Not very often you have an athletic big man who can shoot the way he does and score 30 pts, 10 reb, and 2 blks in a night. I get he isn't a great defender by any means, but he does rim-protect and offensively Luka and him on the floor together has been fantastic.

It seems like they want a more defensive minded center, who can rim run a bit, and block shots, and to find their offense from the guard and wing positions. Which I get that to a degree, but you better get some assets for Wood. I've seen Wood + Bullock + Bertans for something like Westbrook & a protected '27 1st from the Lakers.

I'm not moving the 1st rounders for anything less than Siakam, Rozier, or Bogdanovic. For Bogdanovic I'm only doing that if you're going all out to get both a Rozier-type, and Bogdanovic. Certainly not giving up a 1st for the Knicks deal. Hartenstein could be solid, but Rose and Reddish are just meh. I know the Knicks want Bullock, though.

If you could acquire both Rozier & Bogdanovic for the '25 & '27 1sts, some seconds and some salary matches, that's intriguing because then you keep Green & Hardy - the only issue at that point is that's your future with Luka.

Doncic, Rozier, Bogdanovic, Dorian Finney-Smith, Center - Dinwiddie, Hardy, Bullock, Kleber etc - You better be really sure you can win it all with that lineup, which with Luka you really might be able to. I prefer the, "get a 2nd bona fide star route, and then aim to convince one or two more really solid Top 50 players in free agency in two years" route.

I do really like what I see from Green & Hardy, worst case those guys look like staples. Hardy really looks like he could be a Jordan Poole-type player, and shows better defensive upside, and a better ability to get to the rim. Green could be an Iguodala-like player.

If they make a trade for Siakam, it will certainly be something like:
Mavericks receive:
Pascal Siakam

Raptors receive:
'25, '27, '29 1st-round picks
Josh Green
Tim Hardaway Jr.
Davis Bertans
Two 1st-round pick swaps

If there is some magical way the Mavs could swing a deadline deal with them, maybe:
Mavericks:
Pascal Siakam

Raptors:
'27 & '29 1st-round picks
Three 1st-round pick swaps
Christian Wood
Josh Green
Dorian Finney-Smith/Tim Hardaway Jr.

I think Josh Green is/has played himself into a very, very intriguing asset. He completely revamped his shot, shows elite defensive potential, and can play make - that sort of wing player is insanely valuable. I'd love to keep him, but I'm sure they'd ask for him.

The Bulls and the Raptors are probably the key deadline teams to watch through the rest of this year, and the off-season. The Raptors have four pieces to really, really keep an eye on: Siakam, Anunoby, Trent Jr., and Van Fleet. I'd love a shot at any of those guys, in that order. Bulls obviously have DeRozan and LaVine.

All that being said, Nico knows this team needs a huge revamp. The off-season might just be a much better time to try and make that strike. If you can clear THJ, Bertans, and McGee while waiting, sign me up.

i reallyyyyy don’t like trading those 2027-29 picks for anyone older than 28, so count me out on Bogdanovic. I’m also extremely wary of undersized guards on championship contenders that aren’t top tier 3 point shooters and are so-so free throw shooters.

And yeah we’ll see what the bulls do, but I really don’t want Lavine paired with Luka. Don’t think it’s a good fit at all.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
i reallyyyyy don’t like trading those 2027-29 picks for anyone older than 28, so count me out on Bogdanovic. I’m also extremely wary of undersized guards on championship contenders that aren’t top tier 3 point shooters and are so-so free throw shooters.

And yeah we’ll see what the bulls do, but I really don’t want Lavine paired with Luka. Don’t think it’s a good fit at all.
Yeah, I definitely share those concerns on all fronts.

My priority would be overpaying for Siakam. If not Siakam, maybe try to get Anunoby for a lesser package.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Yeah, I definitely share those concerns on all fronts.

My priority would be overpaying for Siakam. If not Siakam, maybe try to get Anunoby for a lesser package.

I think Anunoby lost a ton of touches to Scottie Barnes this season since the Raps seem to want to run Barnes at point guard. Not that he was actually taking more shots in previous seasons, but his development arc has been stunted and he’s not getting what he would’ve this year. VanVleet is suffering from the same issue and he can’t seem to get going at all after his All Star appearance last year. It’s probably going to get Fred traded.

I watch a lot of Raptors since I live in Ontario, and Anunoby is frequently relegated to spot up shooting or taking garbage iso possessions late in the clock. He’s taking 14 shots a game (Barnes is taking 13 and initiating offence a ton) when on almost any other team OG would be at least 3rd option and putting up 18+ shots and getting to the line more. At his splits that’d put him in the neighbourhood of 23ppg and we’d be talking about maybe his first All Star game this year.

He eats last in the Raptors starting lineup and it’s criminal, and from the chatter out there it sounds like he’s figured it out.

Last edited:

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

Can someone explain this to me please

Tl;Dr: Someone thinks the favorite is given false numbers by their home team, maybe for gambling purposes.

Edit: stupid embed posting the whole thing...

• 2Like
  • 2Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Jovec

?

Can someone explain this to me please

Cesar's Palace has stopped allowing people to bet on DPoY the year because it appears that the Grizzlies stat guy is pushing fake numbers for one of their players and/or attributing defensive stats like steals and block to him that were done in game by different players for home games.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>

Tl;Dr: Someone thinks the favorite is given false numbers by their home team, maybe for gambling purposes.

Edit: stupid embed posting the whole thing...
Cesar's Palace has stopped allowing people to bet on DPoY the year because it appears that the Grizzlies stat guy is pushing fake numbers for one of their players and/or attributing defensive stats like steals and block to him that were done in game by different players for home games.

So you mean he

moneyball-gets-on-base.gif

Jovec

?
I would have though the NBA would directly employ the statisticians. Or at the very least if each team has to provide one, have them travel and do stats for games not involving their own team.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kaines

Potato Supreme
I would have though the NBA would directly employ the statisticians. Or at the very least if each team has to provide one, have them travel and do stats for games not involving their own team.
Just like MLB, home team provides the official statistician. And there has been stats fuckery in the history of baseball because of it as well.

• 2Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Just like MLB, home team provides the official statistician. And there has been stats fuckery in the history of baseball because of it as well.

Baseball encouraging fans to score the game themselves kept people paying attention, which probably kept the scoring overall more honest but you'd definitely see some weird homerism. NBA having such obvious statistical anomalies with no oversight is kinda lol for a sports league that so often gets accused of rigging shit.

Anyhow, anyone see the distance pop-up tags in the Brooklyn vs NY game? Reminded me of the glowing pucks the NHL tried out. Stupid and annoying and further affirms brass in the NBA are out of touch morons. The NBA is so hard to watch I should probably just stop trying.

The women's Nebraska v Iowa was good, though, for lady basketball. The Iowa chick is great, but Aussie Jaz Shelley on Nebraska stole the show. Her passing ability and vision was so much better than anyone else on the court. Reminded me of Shony Shimmel balling like Jason White Chocolate Williams with flash and ease before she got fat and depressed.

This happening all the time has to be frustrating:

lo75cxivq9x61.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
what a fucking bitch

Not a Lebron fan by any means, but he was blatantly fouled on the play, and the missed call was the reason they lost the game. Every win / loss is huge in the west right now, of course he was upset.

• 1Seriously?

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
It definitely was a foul, but he reacted like a baby clown. Always happy to see Lebron and the Lakers take another L.

Speaking of NBA injustice, Embiid not starting for the East in the all star game is LOL. Head to head against two time MVP Jokic, he dropped 47 yesterday

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Quaid

Trump's Staff
It definitely was a foul, but he reacted like a baby clown. Always happy to see Lebron and the Lakers take another L.

Speaking of NBA injustice, Embiid not starting for the East in the all star game is LOL. Head to head against two time MVP Jokic, he dropped 47 yesterday

Embiid is a goon and I’m so glad the players and media voters elevated Tatum over him. Sportsmanship matters.

Also officials need to start getting fines for bad calls in clutch time.

• 3Like
  • 1Cutler
Reactions: 3 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
That JJJ Reddit post is crazy. Good shit.

Still baffles me these leagues don't employ the official statkeepers. Shits bizarre. At minimum you'd expect a more thorough "end-of-day/end-of-week" review.

Edit: Dicktrickle ruined the fun!

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Fwiw, I bet they more closely review positive claims (ie, a block happened, not a block didn't happen) since it's specific, so it's feasible that every close borderline stat that JJJ got in Memphis is mostly accurate but it's the road where he's not getting more the benefit of the doubt. That would be a funny turnabout.

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande

If the stats are audited in real time by a group then why have local scorekeepers? Seems dumb, but it's the NBA, so...

And I hate how these days instead of just a story explaining or giving facts or context it's some sneering liberal bullshit about crackpots desperate to believe conspiracy theories. Just correct the record without spazzing out, Karen.

• 1Like