NBA 2022-23 Season Thread - Wembanyama Tank-A-Thon Is On!

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Mavs essentially turned #10 into Lively (who they were going to draft anyway), #24th pick (a big-bodied wing, which the Mavs have zero of), and the full MLE for free agency. Excellent night for them, surprisingly good. If they can steal away a Bruce Brown or Grant Williams, that'd be huge. Two rookies, and that full MLE are huge with this new CBA.

Theoretically I guess a Draymond signing could still theoretically be possible as well with an S&T, very doubtful, but they have a pathway for some additional moves when it looked like they didn't.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Mavs essentially turned #10 into Lively (who they were going to draft anyway), #24th pick (a big-bodied wing, which the Mavs have zero of), and the full MLE for free agency. Excellent night for them, surprisingly good. If they can steal away a Bruce Brown or Grant Williams, that'd be huge. Two rookies, and that full MLE are huge with this new CBA.

Theoretically I guess a Draymond signing could still theoretically be possible as well with an S&T, very doubtful, but they have a pathway for some additional moves when it looked like they didn't.
If you’re talking about using Wood as a sign and trade to sign Draymond, they can’t unfortunately. Sign & Trade salary can’t be combined with other salary - only draft picks. Also I read they’ll only be able to use the MLE if Irving takes a discount on year one of his new contract($40mil), but I’m not a cap expert. If they could grab Jaden McDaniels or Grant Williams with it I’m sure they’d be quite happy.

But yeah some big brain moves from Nico. They still have a pretty juicy 2027 pick and some salary matching in THJ, Bullock, and McGee.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
As Barkley says, Draymond may be the best triple single player in nba history. Still an all star defender and playmaker and a good guy to be teammates with. Moody and kuminga should have no excuses next year, they’ll be seeing more playtime and gotta step up. Cp3 is gonna max out at 15 mins a game

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
If you’re talking about using Wood as a sign and trade to sign Draymond, they can’t unfortunately. Sign & Trade salary can’t be combined with other salary - only draft picks. Also I read they’ll only be able to use the MLE if Irving takes a discount on year one of his new contract($40mil), but I’m not a cap expert. If they could grab Jaden McDaniels or Grant Williams with it I’m sure they’d be quite happy.

But yeah some big brain moves from Nico. They still have a pretty juicy 2027 pick and some salary matching in THJ, Bullock, and McGee.
I was thinking more along the lines of THJ + Kleber or something to get into the salary threshold, but I honestly can't remember if you can actually do a 1-for-2 S&T like that. Cap-wise a Draymond acquisition is far-fetched, buttttttttttttt the Mavs do have the old cap guy from Brooklyn who is apparently the best in the business.

At this point, I think the Mavs are trying for a Bruce Brown signing for the MLE, and a Grant Williams S&T from Boston. That would be a phenomenal off-season, arguably the best in Mavericks history - which is kinda sad. I think they're also still sniffing around Atlanta in case the Hawks end up dumping Capela.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I don't follow the NBA as much anymore but 43 million a year for VanVleet seems crazy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I don't follow the NBA as much anymore but 43 million a year for VanVleet seems crazy.

Yeah I wonder what their motivation is with this move. They are certainly aware that Fred VanVleet is not anywhere near max money… and he’s now like the 13th highest paid player in the NBA.

Why is he there? Teach hustle attitude and defensive tenacity to a young team? Maybe provide big salary matching in 2 years when he’s expiring, so Houston doesn’t have to trade their young pieces? Maybe something els, because one thing for certain is that he’s not there to win.

Also Mavs are doing quite well this off-season. They secured the full MLE because of how low Kyrie’s contract ended up, so there’s at least one more signing in play.

Also also Suns are killing free agency. They actually have a serviceable level of depth now. Gonna be scary if healthy.

Last edited:

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Thank God the Mavs got away with a 3 yr deal for Kyrie. Also love signing Seth Curry (third times a charm) for the bi-annual. They still have the MLE to use. Hoping it results in Grant Williams. Still wouldn't totally hate an Ayton or Capela pickup while Lively grows into the league.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Bucks retained Brook Lopez, means the Rockets will probably overpay for Dillon Brooks to go along with FVV. Still holding out hopes the Mavs can work out an S&T of some sorts for Grant Williams. Also still think it's a borderline guarantee THJ gets shipped out.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Bucks retained Brook Lopez, means the Rockets will probably overpay for Dillon Brooks to go along with FVV. Still holding out hopes the Mavs can work out an S&T of some sorts for Grant Williams. Also still think it's a borderline guarantee THJ gets shipped out.

You got your wish!

Somehow Nico pulled this off without moving Tim Hardaway or their last tradable first round pick (2027).

They could still use those assets to sign an upgrade at centre, or even match another Sign & Trade to PJ Washington if no center is available.

If they land Thybulle too? Totally different Mavs team.

• 1Home Run

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
You got your wish!

Somehow Nico pulled this off without moving Tim Hardaway or their last tradable first round pick (2027).

They could still use those assets to sign an upgrade at centre, or even match another Sign & Trade to PJ Washington if no center is available.

If they land Thybulle too? Totally different Mavs team.
Mavs got two 2nd rounders as well, which they only had their 2030 2nd - those 2nds are insanely valuable for the Mavs. Makes bribing another team in a S&T much more likely, or even the ability to dump McGee's contract. Huge W for the Mavs FO there. They did give the Spurs a rotation piece, and a pick swap in 2030 (which who cares).

As you said they keep all three of their best assets in the '27 1st, Jaden Hardy, and Josh Green. I'd love PJ Washington, especially considering how crowded Charlotte's Forward positions are. THJ + 2nds in a S&T, while maybe not likely is possible.

Sounds like they'll still offer Thybulle the MLE and force Portland to match. Also keeping my eyes on a potential Jarrett Allen or Zubac trade.

• 1Like

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Mavs got two 2nd rounders as well, which they only had their 2030 2nd - those 2nds are insanely valuable for the Mavs. Makes bribing another team in a S&T much more likely, or even the ability to dump McGee's contract. Huge W for the Mavs FO there. They did give the Spurs a rotation piece, and a pick swap in 2030 (which who cares).

As you said they keep all three of their best assets in the '27 1st, Jaden Hardy, and Josh Green. I'd love PJ Washington, especially considering how crowded Charlotte's Forward positions are. THJ + 2nds in a S&T, while maybe not likely is possible.

Sounds like they'll still offer Thybulle the MLE and force Portland to match. Also keeping my eyes on a potential Jarrett Allen or Zubac trade.

i like this for all parties involved. Raptors need shooting. Raptors FO is super stingy though so they’ll probably also ask for a young piece (Hardy…).

IMG_1910.jpeg

Last edited:

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Capela seemed to shrink come playoff time. Is he really worth that?
To most teams absolutely not.

To the Dallas Mavericks definitely.

I’ve seen all the talk about Zubac, Allen, and Ayton and I just don’t see how the Mavs get to a compelling deal for any of them when you consider what those teams might be interested in.

The centre I like most for Dallas is Mitchell Robinson, but I don’t see them working with the Knicks again any time soon.

Last edited:

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
i like this for all parties involved. Raptors need shooting. Raptors FO is super stingy though so they’ll probably also ask for a young piece (Hardy…).

View attachment 481391
Mavs turned down a Josh Green for Capela trade straight up. They view Hardy as the better asset. Zero chance they'd offer anything more than one of the '27 1st, or Josh Green for Capela. I'd personally love Capela as a stop gap. Is he perfect? No. But he absolutely fills the biggest weaknesses of this team, rebounding and rim protection. With the additional 2nds, there might be a pathway for a THJ & 2nd rounders x2 deal for Capela, mainly because Atlanta has been vocal about wanting additional shooting, and Okungwu is their center of the future. Then again, I'm not sure if that's quite enough for Atlanta.

I'd also wager that the Cavs would take a '27 1st RD pick, Josh Green, and THJ trade for Allen in a heartbeat. I don't think Dallas is interested in giving up quite that much for a center they hope gets displaced in two years. It's become pretty evident Allen & Mobley on the court together are pretty redundant. I think a '27 1st rd pick, Maxi Kleber & THJ trade would entice the Cavs, to some degree.

I also think any Zubac addition is probably dependent on a Harden acquisition by the Clippers. Or if Batum & Zubac would be enticing enough for the Mavs to give up one of their legitimate assets: '27 1st, or Josh Green.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Mavs turned down a Josh Green for Capela trade straight up. They view Hardy as the better asset. Zero chance they'd offer anything more than one of the '27 1st, or Josh Green for Capela. I'd personally love Capela as a stop gap. Is he perfect? No. But he absolutely fills the biggest weaknesses of this team, rebounding and rim protection. With the additional 2nds, there might be a pathway for a THJ & 2nd rounders x2 deal for Capela, mainly because Atlanta has been vocal about wanting additional shooting, and Okungwu is their center of the future. Then again, I'm not sure if that's quite enough for Atlanta.

I'd also wager that the Cavs would take a '27 1st RD pick, Josh Green, and THJ trade for Allen in a heartbeat. I don't think Dallas is interested in giving up quite that much for a center they hope gets displaced in two years. It's become pretty evident Allen & Mobley on the court together are pretty redundant. I think a '27 1st rd pick, Maxi Kleber & THJ trade would entice the Cavs, to some degree.

I also think any Zubac addition is probably dependent on a Harden acquisition by the Clippers. Or if Batum & Zubac would be enticing enough for the Mavs to give up one of their legitimate assets: '27 1st, or Josh Green.

Yeah I think a Capela move is most realistic for them. I agree with them and I would absolutely not move Josh Green for him though. I’d rather them target PJ Washington on the wing for THJ and a 2nd rounder, then just play out the season with Powell/Holmes/Lively/McGee at Centre. With Grant/Thybulle/Washington at the wing the need for a Centre upgrade would be greatly reduced.

Locked on Mavs podcast proposed Jarrett Allen & Okoro for THJ & Josh, and I do like that move quite a bit… but I’m just not convinced the Cavs are gonna move on from JA unless the price is quite high. I’m also not sure that door is open now that they’ve added some shooting in free agency.

Last edited:

Quaid

Trump's Staff

it’s becoming increasingly difficult to see the Mavs making moves for starting calibre players. PJ Washington, Capela, and Allen seem like they’re off the board. Zubac feels like a long shot. Portland matching Thybulle was a bit of a heartbreaker.

What do you think of either of these? Both of them trade guard depth for front court pieces, and preserve the 2027 FRP (which must remain unprotected because of future trades) and the Mavs retain both Green and Hardy.

Raptors Receive: Tim Hardaway Jr. (SG)

Mavericks Receive: Chris Boucher (PF-C), Otto Porter Jr (SF)

Boucher is an energetic defender with a very high offensive motor. He’s a decent 3 point shooter who can space the floor, and he’d feast with lobs from Luka. He’s tenacious on the glass but does tend to get boxed out a lot if he has to play centre. You could start him at the 4 and move Williams to 3. Otto Porter Jr. is plagued by injury but is expiring, so he’s low risk veteran bench depth.

-or-

Pelicans Receive: Tim Hardaway Jr (SG), 2025 2RP Mavericks Receive: Jonas Valancuinas (C), Naji Marshall (SF)

Jonas is closer to the ‘starting centre’ strategy that Mavs fans are wanting. He’d start at centre and take the real tough minutes so Lively can develop against opposing benches. Obviously Jonas is not one of the best in the league, but he might be a realistic get since the Pels need volume shooting so badly and are overflowing with switchable young wings. Marshall could back Josh up, and the two of them could duke it out for the starting SF role.

What’s looking increasingly likely though, is Hardaway rides the bench until the trade deadline when borderline contenders look to add shooting. At that point Nico could package Tim/Green/Holmes/Javale +2027 & 2030 FRPs, a couple swaps, and 2x 2RPs for a big move to a team that decides they don’t need their cornerstones any more (Kawhi or PG13? Derozan? Gobert or KAT? Siakam?)

Last edited:

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
it’s becoming increasingly difficult to see the Mavs making moves for starting calibre players. PJ Washington, Capela, and Allen seem like they’re off the board. Zubac feels like a long shot. Portland matching Thybulle was a bit of a heartbreaker.

What do you think of either of these? Both of them trade guard depth for front court pieces, and preserve the 2027 FRP (which must remain unprotected because of future trades) and the Mavs retain both Green and Hardy.

Raptors Receive: Tim Hardaway Jr. (SG)

Mavericks Receive: Chris Boucher (PF-C), Otto Porter Jr (SF)

Boucher is an energetic defender with a very high offensive motor. He’s a decent 3 point shooter who can space the floor, and he’d feast with lobs from Luka. He’s tenacious on the glass but does tend to get boxed out a lot if he has to play centre. You could start him at the 4 and move Williams to 3. Otto Porter Jr. is plagued by injury but is expiring, so he’s low risk veteran bench depth.

-or-

Pelicans Receive: Tim Hardaway Jr (SG), 2025 2RP Mavericks Receive: Jonas Valancuinas (C), Naji Marshall (SF)

Jonas is closer to the ‘starting centre’ strategy that Mavs fans are wanting. He’d start at centre and take the real tough minutes so Lively can develop against opposing benches. Obviously Jonas is not one of the best in the league, but he might be a realistic get since the Pels need volume shooting so badly and are overflowing with switchable young wings. Marshall could back Josh up, and the two of them could duke it out for the starting SF role.

What’s looking increasingly likely though, is Hardaway rides the bench until the trade deadline when borderline contenders look to add shooting. At that point Nico could package Tim/Green/Holmes/Javale +2027 & 2030 FRPs, a couple swaps, and 2x 2RPs for a big move to a team that decides they don’t need their cornerstones any more (Kawhi or PG13? Derozan? Gobert or KAT? Siakam?)
I'd do both of those deals. Wouldn't mind Jonas at all. The Harden, Lillard, and Siakam stuff is holding up the market a bit. I could see if the Hawks pull of Siakam, the Mavs could get in there for Capela as a 3rd team. Doubtful the Raptors would want him back in a deal considering they just re-signed Poeltl.

Also, 2030 1st can be included (to my knowledge) because we have 2029 1st slotted to the Nets for Kyrie. Conveying at the end of the year would get you access to '25 1st with '27 though.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Any of you who actually follow basketball have opinions on that Wembanyama. Just seen some highlights, but saying best prospect since Lebron and could be another KD. Hype or is that for real?