Netrunner

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Honestly, Tabletop Simulator is much worse for games like that then OCTGN or jinteki.net.

I play Netrunner. It's fun. It's second to last on the current LCG's though for me. I like Star Wars and Game of Thrones much better.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Honestly, Tabletop Simulator is much worse for games like that then OCTGN or jinteki.net.

I play Netrunner. It's fun. It's second to last on the current LCG's though for me. I like Star Wars and Game of Thrones much better.

I had no idea this existed will check it out. Tabletop sim does have some great tables and auto setups these days though.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tabletop Simulator doesn't keep track of your phases and stuff though. Believe me, I love TTS. I just think the LCG's are better played on a different platform.

You can copy decks off of netrunnerdb for octgn as well. There are less people playing on octgn though since the advent of Jinteki.net.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also free on OCTGN :) I played it when it first came out and enjoyed it. I never kept up with it. I kind of want to run through it cycle by cycle on OCTGN some time. The prizes for the yearly kit this year look sweet. I am playing in it in November at our FLGS even though I don't have many cards. Dat playmat -

Defend Against the Siege of Annuminas

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I love Netrunner. I've loved it less the last year of terrible design decisions, but the base game is still probably in my top 3 games of all time.

Brand

Molten Core Raider
Jinteki is the only real game in town for online play. I'm kinda getting tired of Netrunner atm...For a LCG they are sure churning out expansions(of really questionable quality, playtesting wru). There are also balance issues with must include cards atm...*cough* Jackson Howard I am looking at you.

The great thing about the game is that there are really no "must include", but there are definitely cards much more useful/powerful than others. You can make all sorts of corner case builds and anything with a strong enough plan can win.

I might steer clear of LCGs (other than Star Realms/Hero Realms) until the Lot5R reprint comes out (FFG guys told me to expect it at GenCon next year).

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I have it and really got in to it last winter. I never really got very good at it though because I have a young kid and wasn't getting a lot of playtime. I like the game a lot but it's hard to keep up with the serious people, I think about selling it once in a while. Hell i have like 8-10 unopened data packs :(

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I really wish they'd do an LCG where they release one package every 3-4 months, with 60-80 individual cards, instead of the monthly 20 card packages. Give players some time to breath with new cards.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
That's what Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn is doing. It's a damn good game too.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Oh? Did they update their model? Originally they were just going to do 2 "decks" every 3 months, which was like 22 cards total with the way their decks were structured. I kinda clocked out when that announcement was made, since the rate of new cards was going to be absolutely glacial.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Did Ashes get better? I played the first league tournament thingy on TTS and it was dominated by Ariel builds. She was just so much better then everything else that it wasn't competitive.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Definite casualty of Asmodee's consumption of FFG. FFG went from not being considered a WotC competitor, to being owned by a competitor company opposed to the people who own WotC. Hasbro don't fuck around.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nah, it was a casualty of the LCG model. The 2.0 box set was a last ditch effort to get people back in to the game and it didn't work. The problem with the LCG model is the rotations are too long and the release schedule makes the game boring. Getting 15 new cards every 1.5 months makes the meta super stale. Add on top of that the fact that the rotation is so slow that super decks just dominate for ages and don't really change and you have a recipe for disaster. I like the way they did all 6 packs in 6 weeks for L5R but it won't stop the new player issue. Who wants to jump in the game after a couple years where this game that is supposed to be inexpensive costs you 300 bucks. For 300 bucks why not go play Magic?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Nah, it was a casualty of the LCG model. The 2.0 box set was a last ditch effort to get people back in to the game and it didn't work. The problem with the LCG model is the rotations are too long and the release schedule makes the game boring. Getting 15 new cards every 1.5 months makes the meta super stale. Add on top of that the fact that the rotation is so slow that super decks just dominate for ages and don't really change and you have a recipe for disaster. I like the way they did all 6 packs in 6 weeks for L5R but it won't stop the new player issue. Who wants to jump in the game after a couple years where this game that is supposed to be inexpensive costs you 300 bucks. For 300 bucks why not go play Magic?

Cause Magic has like 100k cards and costs $1,200 a year to keep up. If you have the free time to play a card game, an LCG would be easier to catch up on IMO.

I get what you're saying though. I jumped into Netrunner late and I just couldn't commit the time to trying to catch up to the guys that played the meta for each release. I wouldn't be able to keep up with Magic either, or other LCG's...just not enough free time. At least I know card games are pretty much out for me though, guess I didn't realize how much time i put into Magic back when I played it and kept up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user