Neverwinter: PC

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
drow race has been in since beta, it just costs 200 bucks to play them. Module 1 is adding moon elf race too, like 60 bucks.

ranger is supposed to be added sometime before xmas, but since they have no clue how to balance existing classes and have no plans for raid content, no idea why they're adding a 6th class to a 5man group game.

Troll_sl

shitlord
Holy shit, are they serious with that survey that's going around?

3 questions, limited answers. And they wonder why I left? Why I left isn't even one of the options. I left because your game is a play-to-win piece of shit. If you're serious about getting players to your game, fix the core problems with your game.

Or at least learn to create arealpoll so we can tell you in so many words just how horrible your game is and how ashamed you should be.

drow race has been in since beta, it just costs 200 bucks to play them. Module 1 is adding moon elf race too, like 60 bucks.

ranger is supposed to be added sometime before xmas, but since they have no clue how to balance existing classes and have no plans for raid content, no idea why they're adding a 6th class to a 5man group game.
Wow I head heard that they have plans for adding a lot of classes but this is Cryptic PWE so they be like 25-30$ per class.
Do you really think it will take them like 4 months more just to get in the next class?

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Wow I head heard that they have plans for adding a lot of classes but this is Cryptic PWE so they be like 25-30$ per class.
Do you really think it will take them like 4 months more just to get in the next class?
yeah at least. There's really no need to add any other classes, the game is balanced around the 5 they have currently. With the exception of GWF which are a little underpowered (in PVE) requiring a lot of gear and player skill to really shine and be viable, the game is well balanced around the existing roles in group combat, which until they add raid content, is the only content they have. Each class fills a 'niche' in groups ala trinity without any one class being mandatory for all content.

Every dungeon can be done with a balanced group of 1 of each class, or you can stack certain classes which requires pro game play from another class to make up for the deficiency. With most gwf being terrible it's common to not have a GWF and instead stack either TR or CW depending on the dungeon, this is viable as long as the single classes are good, ie:
1 DC, 1 GF, 1 CW, 2 TR groups. relies heavily on GF and CW being on point
1 DC, 1 GF, 2 CW, 1 TR groups. relies heavily on DC and TR being on point
etc. though it's extremely rare to see 2 DC groups unless the entire group is just bad. More common to see no DC groups than 2 DC (not that 0 DC groups are common at all)

But with a good GWF you can play with 1 of each class. or with 2 good to decent GWFs you can do something like this:
1 DC, 1 GF, 1 CW, 2 GWF groups. relies heavily on GF and DC being on point

If they ever pulled their heads out of their ass and balanced their existing classes so GWF were more viable (slightly more AOE CC and more AOE dmg, along with removing some of the ledge/insta-death spots that CWs rely on) then this game would be the prime example of how to create group based class interdependency/ie trinity style MMO combat in the action-MMO age. instead they constantly nerf TRs making boss fights take longer, further incentivizing the use of ledges/knockoff spots to clear trash faster and further pigeon-holing the GWF into uselessness.

Until they decide to balance the game and it's development for the health/sake of the game instead of money hats then they really have no business adding new classes. The only reason they're adding ranger class is for the Drizz't fanboys. $200 bucks to play a drow, guess $50 bucks to play a ranger, or like a special combo pack $229.95 to play a drow ranger, milking money off of retreads on a daily. Whatever

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Played at launch some but haven't in a while , did they buff up GF's to be needed/ or at least wanted in groups in PVE ? Enjoyed mine but early on you could run most every dungeon with 2 clerics and whatever else you wanted , and usually folks were going for TR and CW over GF's at the time.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah they fixed GF aggro generation in addition to making dc astral shield no longer "stack" thus no more dual dc groups. Those were bad even back in beta but they were "safe" so bads ran them all the time.

Now every class has a niche, a role they excel at that when combined with other classes roles allows a strategy to be formed. But again, no class is absolutely needed and you can get by without x class just the strategy changes. Its basically the "cleanest" way to do class interdependancy/'trinity' combat in an action mmo.

GFs are a control class, control via aggro. They are basically add tanks/kiters which is a pretty important role in most dungeons given how boss fight mechanics work, constantly spawning adds/etc. But again depending on the group makeup their role changes. In 2gwf no tr groups they are main tank style / tank everything class.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Nice to hear , I may have to try it again depending on how much I enjoy FFXIV. I'm usually anti-nerf in most cases , but that stacking DC shield was plain silly.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
This weekend I went back and tried to jump in and play some. Saw the call to arms things and decided to give "Mini-skirmishes" a try.

I leveled my tank from 55 to 60 just doing the skirmish over and over. I had never felt really comfortable with tanking in this game. But figured this would be a chance to just do it until I felt comfy with it. I've been playing a build I basically made up as i've gone along.

I was keeping an eye on the damage taken meter at the end of each. Figuring if we had no deaths and I was on top of damage taken I was at least passably doing my job as a tank.

What surprised me was over half the time I was ALSO the top healer. And about 1 in every 5 runs I would be top dps. heh Looks like they beat EQN to eliminating the trinity!

The saddest part of this game is PWE-Cryptic as
shitty as they are if only they could get 1 class done every 3-4 months it would be like printing money the way PWE would charge like 35$ each new class unlock.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
This weekend I went back and tried to jump in and play some. Saw the call to arms things and decided to give "Mini-skirmishes" a try.

I leveled my tank from 55 to 60 just doing the skirmish over and over. I had never felt really comfortable with tanking in this game. But figured this would be a chance to just do it until I felt comfy with it. I've been playing a build I basically made up as i've gone along.

I was keeping an eye on the damage taken meter at the end of each. Figuring if we had no deaths and I was on top of damage taken I was at least passably doing my job as a tank.

What surprised me was over half the time I was ALSO the top healer. And about 1 in every 5 runs I would be top dps. heh Looks like they beat EQN to eliminating the trinity!
that's a pretty bad baseline as the new CTA skirmish allows anyone level 6 - 60 to group together. The mobs are scaled to your level, so you're dealing with % hits dmg done/taken. So a 60 GF is cleaving (base attack) for 10% of their hp and shows as 1,500-2,000 damage done while a level 15 rogue is hitting for 30% of their hp shows as 300 damage done. You should do an actual dungeon. The trinity, or atleast the concept of class roles, are alive and well in Neverwinter in ways that I haven't really seen since EQ. But unlike EQ it's fine, since the game only has 5 classes and it's all 5 man group content.

GW2 beat EQN to eliminating the trinity by having everyone soloing in groups. NW is the opposite, it has extremely strong class roles but there's some flexibility, you can still beat any dungeon without X class, you just have to change your strategies to do so. EQN seems to have backpedaled a bit in that they want class roles but not specific class X is the only one which can do Y role, and they talk like they want combat to be like NW in that the roles needed to beat X content isn't set in stone, you can change your strategy given what roles you do have in your group and make it work.

That works when there's only 5 classes. I'm not sure how that's going to work in a game with 40 classes though.

Finally downloaded this the other night; rolled a half-elf cleric and a halfling rogue. Cleric is 15something running with a friend, and the rogue I just started. Having fun so far when I want an action-rpg break. Kinda enjoying the combat more than GW2.., maybe its the better defined roles, idk. Never had good experiences with Cryptic so I am a little surprised. Maybe PW changed them for the better.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Well they've turned me off to the game now... Apparently they've started implementing the name police. Suddenly after existing since beta Pat McCrotch and his half sister Shaven McCrotch are now "bad names" and must be changed.....

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Maybe I was born without a sense of humor. Maybe I've always been an old man trapped in a younger man's body. Maybe I'll never get it.

But I've NEVER, not when I was 7, not when I was 15, not when I was 20's, not now, I've Never had the urge to name myself Crabby McScratchnhisCrotch, or the like.

I'm no RP police out to enforce a 5000 word backstory, and the game needs another Drittz clone like a fish needs a bicycle; but really? Is it the Illicit thrill that you're pulling one over on The Man, subverting his conventions and hax0ring his gibsons? Is it simply the inner 5 yr old giggling and mumbling Boobies over and over?

What makes these shitty names so attractive to some people?

http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=964851

Neverwinter State of the Game

State of the Game

Andy Velasquez, Neverwinter Lead Producer

Neverwinter friends and fans! Lead Producer TheSquez here, reporting in.

It's been a few months since we previously checked in about the State of the Game, and I thought it would be a good time to talk about some of the things we've been working on leading up to Module 1: Fury of the Feywild. We've had a sensational Open Beta and launch, with over 2 million players and a ton of other milestones that we love to talk about around here. What gets me even more excited, though, is seeing all of the great things happening in the Neverwinter community, receiving awesome Neverwinter fan art, and watching people livestream the different things that they like about our game. These things really make my developer heart swell with pride; so a big thank you to all of our fans out there!

Like we talked about in the previous State of the Game, we spent a lot of our time throughout Open Beta squashing bugs and doing around-the-clock updates, getting the game ready for our live launch in June. I've certainly got more gray hair now but it's been worth it! Importantly, we also introduced the NeverwinterPreview test shard to make way for future testing and updates. It's already been instrumental in helping us work out solutions to various crashes, bugs, and feedback points before pushing new updates to the live servers - those of you who helped us iron out Gauntlgrym during Open Beta know what I'm talking about! Keep your eyes open for more events on NeverwinterPreview, because we'll always have opportunities to help test new content and make the game better.

Since launch, we've settled into a more reasonable rhythm of updates, and have put together a new dedicated exploit team to combat cheats and hacks. Their job is specifically to use our understanding of existing exploits to protect new content while also looking for new ways to break the game so that we can make it better. Tracking down and squashing exploits is not always an easy task, and I'd like to give out special kudos to all of the folks in the community who have written in to us about bug reports, exploits, and abusive Foundry quests - your care for the game and assistance has been immensely helpful!

Moving on to Module 1, I really only have two words to express how I feel about Fury of the Feywild: so pumped! Fury of the Feywild feels special to me because with it, we're able to put a ton of effort into a smaller slice of content than an entire game. Our new companions and mounts, for example, are going to be super cool and iconic for fans of the genre, and we've been able to dedicate a lot of time and resources to focus on content in the new region of Sharandar. We're learning from our base game and catering to our fans who are into new systems, new stuff, and of course, Forgotten Realms lore. If you love advancing through lore and seeing new content - we've got a whole new storyline for you in the battle between the Fey and the Fomorians. If you're a power player, we've got new rewards and Boons that will increase the power of your characters. If you're a collector, we have tons of new companions and mounts for you to grab, and if you're a creator, we've got new assets and things to tinker with in the Foundry.

Speaking of which, I want to express how critical the Foundry is for us. In our eyes, if the Foundry is experiencing an extended downtime, the game itself may as well be down, and you'll find us running around trying to get it back up as soon as we can. You may have noticed that since those first couple of weeks when we were having issues with the Foundry, it hasn't been down at all, because it's extremely important to us that it's working just as smoothly as the rest of the game. Additionally, as much as we can support it, our goal is to have new features and assets to support the Foundry with each module so that authors can keep creating cool quests. For instance, right now, as we're scoping Module 2, we've already got line items set up for what should be included in Foundry updates, so keep your eyes peeled!

One question that often comes my way is about how we approach gameplay balance changes. First of all, while we have an ongoing development squad that is busy creating new content and updates for the game, we have an equally important live squad that continues to address bug fixes as quickly as possible, and this live squad includes a combat team that is always eager to dive through all of the feedback that you send to us. When it comes to balance, we take a little bit more time to make changes because we want to make sure that those updates work for every class involved. When we see a bug as simple as "this quest is broken," we just go ahead and fix it, and are dedicated to making sure that similar things are squashed quickly. But with balance, we care more about really vetting the changes that we want to make, instead of singling out one issue and immediately correcting it - without first considering if it's more of a larger issue between, say, a class power and an item set.

Finally, I know two things are on people's minds that are worth bringing up at this point: when are we going to see new classes and Paragon Paths! Our goal is to have another class and more Paragon Paths for all classes by the end of the year. I played the new class myself in an internal playtest last week, and it's amazing. Similarly, Paragon Paths have had their first development pass, and we're now working on them further and making them feel polished before introducing them to NeverwinterPreview. Our feelings about classes and powers are similar to those about balance - we're making sure that we take the time to make them amazing and iterate on them correctly.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Module 1 first major content patch comes out in typical cryptic fashion. Soul crushing server lag, lol coding sploit ie free nightmare mounts for everyone, massive nerfs to every class. Oh and also drow race becomes free for all, and as an added fuck you to the tards who paid 200 for founder package, to keep these new drow different from those unique snow flake founder drow, new drow racial ability is 66% better than $200 drow.

Module 1 first major content patch comes out in typical cryptic fashion. Soul crushing server lag, lol coding sploit ie free nightmare mounts for everyone, massive nerfs to every class. Oh and also drow race becomes free for all, and as an added fuck you to the tards who paid 200 for founder package, to keep these new drow different from those unique snow flake founder drow, new drow racial ability is 66% better than $200 drow.
What did they do with nightmare mounts that they are free now?

Most your post is spot on mate.
Some stuff I found that is broken are you cant send a tell now, it says you must be over level 15 or have bought a founder pack or have transferred zen to the game.
Lulz I have all 3 levels 60s and have founder packs, have transferred zen, its 100% fucked up in game now, cant send tells you get that message above.
I have not played this in months but they are working on the tell bug atm, Reason I know is I reported it and made post they replied to it on official forums.

How they can have massive patch over 2 gig, and not have tested the broken tells for all issue is beyond me.
Again I have not played in months so the patch may have been smaller then the 2 gig and some, I had to download today.
Cheers.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
The tell bug has been on ptr since they first rolled out feywild for testing there. Also the nightmare mount basically old nightmare boxes if opened now are now 75% chance to drop the epic mount. Also been like that for a month on test server and they rolled it out to live.

Just more lol cryptic. If anyone else could be bothered to make an mmo with same or better gameplay this shit game would be dead in the water. Unfortunately mmo devs nowadays are so shit that when a game rolls out with actually decent gameplay like neverwinter it gets 2 million players despite the incompetence of the game developers.