Neverwinter: PC

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
How is this pay to win at end game? Do they make the cash shop necessary to advance? Is there a sub option that eliminates that?

I haven't actively played this in probably more than a year, so my memory is hazy about the specifics, but to summarize, to upgrade gear/stats or whatever at level cap, you need a special currency (astral diamonds or something I think it was called). Those can be earned in-game, but the rate of earning them freely is so abysmally horrible that it would take 2 months of grinding for the same amount of diamonds that you can just buy on the cash shop for like 5$, and it gets worse and worse as your gear improves.

That's what I remember of it at least, someone who's played more recently feel free to correct what I got wrong.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Pretty much Sinzar. For example: once your enchantments get high enough level you hit the paywall of getting wards to upgrade enchantments, runestones and artifacts because it gets so expensive at that point and wards you can buy from the cash shop give you a better chance not to fail. Is it needed no, does it make the game easier and a LOT less frustrating, oh hell yes. Another P2Wish thing is that you can buy campaign completion tokens for Sharandar, Dread Ring and Icewind Dale (2 expansions worth), however i like this because it allows you to catch up. There are also companions that are limited to the cash shop that offer some really powerful bonuses.

Here is a list of the items in the zen (their currency) shop, you can you buy zen in game from other players with Astral Diamonds that Sinzar mentioned which means you can have free access to every item in the zen market if you are willing to grind out enough astral diamonds to do it - and it's a lot of work.

There is no subscription per se, but there is a VIP program which has 12 loyalty ranks - 1 rank per VIP month and each rank gives you things that feel like veteran rewards in other games but you have to maintain VIP to use the benefits.... It really doesn't do much to eliminate the paywall, it's more like the Rift patron program.

Last edited:

Caliane

yeah. I played it off and on. been a while since last. fall I think.
End game stuff is quite grindy, making the pay to win for high end gems, etc very real.
Also, the playerbase I think dropped a bit. So getting parties for low tier intro content was a bit of a pita. Which just makes that grinding to get to higher teirs even more annoying.

gLobal

Trakanon Raider
I realize not much discussion on Neverwinter, but I saw this on the wife's computer so I updated it since she plays on rare occasion.

Looking over the news, I see they finally did a level increase (to 80) along with overhauling many systems. How is it these days? Anyone still playing?

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Picked this up for the first time over Christmas. Pretty good mmo imo. Didn't reach endgame, or do any min maxing. Heard there is a bit of a grind at max level. So can't really attest to that.

But it entertained me for a couple of months of casual play. Probably will go back eventually.

Goatface

i quit a few modules ago,what i read the changes are a love or hate type thing for long time players
think it looks interesting. game is pretty fun leveling up, i had 14 toons at the old cap, 2 with great gear, the rest just mid range stuff for dailies.

at this point, don't think you can start out and get to the endgame without paying money or making it a full time job.

Goatface

whats the deal? they buffing the old dragons or introducing new ones? i have not played in years and kill them by the hundreds back then.