New cartridge based video game system by Coleco.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
d6c137af05f23efdf3819e5222190ec330f47f8db52d3e1807d0bbf6d5dce612.jpg

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If they could get the licenses to rerelease old SNES, Genesis and other games at reasonable cartridge prices I would totally buy some games.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
If they could get the licenses to rerelease old SNES, Genesis and other games at reasonable cartridge prices I would totally buy some games.
Fuck yes me too. Take my damn money!

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I agree. I think for me part of it was because that's how we played it growing up. Some nostalgia there I am sure.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yeah, I dunno. Something about emulators changes the experience for me, I'm willing to pay a bit for ... realness? I guess I'm weird.
Mostly they're just a pain in the ass to setup sometimes. Then you get a glitch and bam.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I mean, I would buy a legit NES/SNES/N64 rerelease with HDMI for a few bucks, no way I'd spend same dollars they cost then now. I'd then regret it after going 'oh, yea those did kind of look awful' but *shrug*.

Brad2770

It would be worth it for all the Dragon Quest, Finsl Fantasy, Crystalis titles. Hell, just Chrono Trigger by itself could be worth it.

iannis

Musty Nester
I wonder what the economics of catridges are. They still use them for the smaller consoles, don't they? But there's a reason that they moved to cd's / dvd's in the first place. Mostly cause they're cheap as fuck.

They had factories cranking out those cartridges back in the 80's. Somehow I feel like, even if this should take off, it would be an expensive novelty that didn't really offer anything you couldn't do cheaper with a steambox and a few dedicated linux nerds.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Emulators are superior.
I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but if you check out the emulation thread we've detailed how to use a raspberry pi to make an emulation station for your TV that can play all the games from the 32-bit and lower era. Whenever we have people over it's like nostalgic overload - no matter what we were doing everyone gets sucked in trying to beat the water level on TMNT for NES.

To me making a cartridge based system is just a shitty money grab. It's outdated technology that they're hoping will get some old dudes chasing nostalgia to buy.

BTW, my brother bought my dad one of those Sega Genesis 'retro gaming systems' that you see at like Target and Walgreens and it is a piece of shit. The controllers are awful and you can't even save games.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Also emulators let you keep the true resolution without stretching if that's your thing. If you plus an SNES/NES into your widescreen TV it will stretch to fit and look bad. It never bothered me but people swear by it.