New England

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not sure why I didn't think to ask earlier, but my wife, dog and I are planning on taking the van up into New England sometime in September for...well, however long it takes. We've never really been to New England (we drove up to Rhode Island for OCS over a decade ago, but didn't do much outside of Newport), and we delayed this a touch for peak fall foliage; I originally thought we'd leave the start of September.

Obviously the big thing will be doing stuff that's dog friendly. But mostly I wanted to know if there was something we shouldn't miss. Our "end point" is likely Acadia, but if there's something further north/east that we should check out we will.

We're potentially going to hit Niagara Falls on the way there (driving from Florida), but that's about it as far as things planned.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
If you're into history, Boston can't be beat. Everything from the Freedom trail, to the Salem Witch Museum. Hell, there is even a grave yard tour with some historical figures.

Take the Duck Tours.
Spend a day on The Vineyard. (I really suggest this)
Have a beer with Brahma.
Tour MIT and/or Harvard.
Plymouth Plantation.
In September The Arboretum will be straight beautiful.
Museum of Fine Arts.
Battle of Lexington re-enactment. (Not sure when this actually happens, but it's a good take)
There are TONS of hole in the wall restaurants that are worth their weight in gold. I personally recommend "The Fat Cat" in Quincy. Though it's no longer a hole in the wall. Great food.

Boston is a small major city, so most of these are minutes part. I do suggest an Uber as opposed to driving, or even public transportation.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If you're coming up Route 95 through Providence, get off at the Atwells Avenue exit and hit up Andino's Italian restaurant for dinner.

Federal Hill Restaurants for the win!

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
If you're coming from Florida, and you think you're going to hit Niagara Falls en route, perchance you might rethink your route?

Portland Maine is pretty beautiful. And Gorham, just outside Portland.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
If you're coming from Florida, and you think you're going to hit Niagara Falls en route, perchance you might rethink your route?

Not really en route. Just since we'll be in the general area, and we've never been, knocking it off the list. We'll probably drive up through Ohio and Western PA. I'm not a fan of 95, and we're in no hurry.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Boston is my favorite American city to visit, really cool, small, but bursting with cool stuff to do. We were in Salem around Halloween a few years back and it was great. Neat nautical town

• 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Niagra falls is in new york Northwest of buffalo about an 8 HR drive from boston west on rte 90
New England is Rhode island Connecticut Massachusetts Maine new Hampshire and vermont.
Boston SUCKS for driving thru it.

Mystic ct freedom trail museum of science etc etc.

For foliage end of sept/October Springfield last 2 weeks of Sept is the big E basically a state fair for new England and NY. Salem ma has the witch museum, Danvers has the home of the witchfrom said trial. Uss constitution bunker hill monument NH go north son, north Conway MT washington, Kankamagus highway(very VEry scenic) it is route 112 Goes from Lincoln NH to Conway NH polar caves lost river ...

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Acadia is the tits. Bar Harbor it up. Portland’s on the way, highly dog friendly town, good if you’re into the bar or live music scene, gorgeous weather in September. its very residential however, from what we explored most of the visitor shit is down on the water.

Boston has some cool shit but you can’t exactly take pups into museums and the like. Salem is not really going to be full swing in September and it’s actually a much smaller scene than you’d expect but there’s cool ass walks through the memorial grounds and down along the water. A lot of the museums are scammy/tourist trappy though, lots of old ass diorama wax models thatve been the same since I was a kid.

If you’re looking to walk something that is quintessentally New England city experience that isn’t Boston, you could try College Hill in Providence. Still cobble streets in some places, classic Victorian architecture (it’s where Lovecraft and a bunch of salty ass sea captains lived.) Pretty rarified being that it’s been taken over by the Brown university endowment sprawl in the last 10-15 years or so. Italian you gotta do federal hill, but they’ve also got some bitchin Korean restaurants if you’re into Asian. Stay away from the bus station.

Newport’s Newport. Insanely overpriced and the main drag’s tourist trap heaven. If you didn’t get to do the cliff walk it is a genuinely beautiful stroll, especially the far end of it.

I would never recommend going there otherwise, but if you’re into war history or boats Battleship Cove in Fall River is a cool stop off with the USS Massachusetts and submarine museum. (wouldn’t recommend going that Far East on 95 unless you’re heading to the Cape/Martha‘s Vineyard otherwise.) The Cape is literally just rich people, dunes and Provincetown, the last of which is pretty fun if you’re into homosexuality or browsing weird art objects. Again very dog friendly.

Stay away from inland population centers like Springfield MA, they’re shitholes.
There‘s not much in CT except drug habits, Mystic, and Foxwoods.

It’s off the beaten track from the way up to Acadia, but if you want some beautiful vistas do the drive up through new hampshire’s White Mountains. From Conway north to Mt. Washington is a beautiful drive. You can take a train or your car to the top of Mt. Washington if you don’t want to do the trek from base, and it’s the best mountain view you’re going to get in New England outside of Cadillac mt. in Acadia (or Mt. Katahdin, but that’s a dangerous mountain and way too remote to be a van trip destination unless you specifically want to do the end of of the Appalachian Trail.)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If you like seafood at all, this is where you wanna go.

Bring your wallet and don't bother to bring the kids.

Providence is a cool place to hang out but it'll be filled with college kids in September. There's definitely a ton of great places to eat and drink that will cost you less than they would in Boston. Agree with Zaara on skipping the cape or places like Bristol or Newport, when Westerly/Charlestown/Narragansett are fine if you want to eat some decent food and go to the beach. Again, college kids will be everywhere because of URI, especially in Narragansett. South Kingstown and Narragansett are both very dog-friendly towns, South Kingstown has 18 different parks and I believe most or all welcome dogs, and a bike path that runs through basically the whole thing. Again, college kids, but in a much more rural setting than Providence. Southern RI has good places to kayak too but after the first half of September the water gets cold real fast.

Oh and Mohegan is more fun than Foxwoods unless you're like 60+ and just spending your social security check.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I live in Portland maine. If you love needles and homeless people this is your spot. It's worth stopping for a night though, as the restaurants are pretty amazing.

If you already plan on Acadia, you can hit Baxter state park and see Mt katahdin, or hit Boothbay harbor on the northeast coast.

Coastal maine, while gorgeous, is California. The other 90% of the state is moose and woods people.